Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by T'Challa Bruce Von Doom View Post
    It's because of this that I've long wondered why people don't do the same thing they do with other media.

Since this is the Batman subforum, take for instance, the Joker. People differentiate between Mark Hamill's Joker, Jack Nicholson's Joker, Heath Ledger's Joker, etc. People recognize that since he's been portrayed by different actors all with their own take on him, it's necessary to specify which portrayal they're talking about.

People differentiate between Adam West's Batman, Michael Keaton's Batman, Kevin Conroy's Batman, Christian Bale's Batman, Ben Affleck's Batman, etc. Again, because different actors will have their own take on the character.

One of Batman's influences, Sherlock Holmes, people differentiate between Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's Holmes, Robert Downey Jr.'s Holmes, Benedict Cumberbatch's Holmes, etc. For the same reasons as above.

So I've wondered why people specify what version of a character they're talking about when referring to them in other media, recognizing that since they're portrayed differently in each version they have to identify which one they're talking about, but they don't do the same thing when talking about these characters in comics, when they've existed for decades and been portrayed by different writers who all have their own characterizations of these characters. Now there are some characters that people specify the writer (e.g., again, since this is the Batman subforum, you'll see people specifically single out Frank Miller's Batman or Grant Morrison's Batman) so that people know at what point of the character's history they're talking about, but it should really be just as much standard practice for the characters in the comics as it is for movie characters. Different writers will have their own take on a character just as much as different actors do. Once a character has been portrayed by people other than the original creator, it should be specified which one is being referred to. Particularly when you see people arguing over characterization because they're talking about that character under different writers who each portrayed them differently under their run.
    The thing is that it is often hard to clearly separate the different versions (unless we are talking about alternate universe versions). The changes often happen slowly, writers change quite often sometimes even within one run or even within a story arc and the character often appear in several books at the same time.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by nhienphan2808 View Post
    Dick : MBTI ESFJ Though somehow everyone will type him a P, including Devin Grayson so avoid. He's the most extroverted of the bats, but he is no way an 2d happy go lucky idiot. The peacemaker and jokester of the fam, and a badass bossy *******-ish leader of the non Bat team. Resembles Bruce the most in putting the mission first. Doesn't get along with Bruce most of the time, and doesn't cuddle his brothers, even Damian, as much as new comics like to tell you. He tries and his heart is in the right places, but usually he doesn't understand people he cares for and let his temper get the best of him, thus mistakes happens and he thrives on guilt ever since Jason dies. The OG for workaholic and angry "**** Batman" tendencies. First and foremost he's an actor so his characterisation ranges from nicer than he looks and meaner than he looks. He was more nuanced in the 70s to 90s and as Batman. Post 2000s is where there is a shift that makes him look incompetent and a bimbo jock in favor of Bruce and other Robins. This characterisation sticks today which is a bad thing.
    The thing during his Robin days he was originally also more of nerd and hardly a super charismatic womanizer and he was usually one of the least extroverted members of the Teen Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    The thing during his Robin days he was originally also more of nerd and hardly a super charismatic womanizer and he was usually one of the least extroverted members of the Teen Titans.
    None of the batfamily are extremely extraverted, save for Steph and Barbara, as far as I know. Dick is half the way, I would say. He loves to talk about others feelings and opinions, he's very social; but he rarely shares his own opinions or feels about personal stuff. He's more open about cases and work stuff, but as far as personal matters... As far as I've read him, at least. Compared to the other bats, I mean, he seems open.

He's still a lot more open than Jason, Tim or Damian, though. Or Cass, maybe. I don't know much about her, so I'm not really sure about this last one.
    Last edited by Zaresh; 10-26-2018 at 03:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaresh View Post
    I'm going to copypaste a post I wrote a few months ago, about how I see Jason, my fave out of them. It was written in the context of a comparison with Punisher, something I really, really think is a bad idea because they're really different characters, personality wise. This is my love letter to a fictional character I love to read and care about a lot, even if I disagree with his views about certain points.

(The main force behind his will to fight criminals and corruption that way is his desire to protect others, just to make myself clear)

He's the Robin I know the best, so it's the one I'll describe. I have a very elaborated picture of Tim and Dick, too. But I don't know them well enough to write something detailed. And there are common traits for all of them: all are very smart people, daredevils that take calculated risks (some more than others, but none of them are totally reckless), have a strong sense of justice and curiosity (comes with being a vigilante chosen by Batman) who are moderately introverted, but not necessary shy (they just don't share their emotions a lot, and when they do, they tend to be rather explosive, even silently explosive, like Tim). And that, despite all having a pretty sassy mouth that they know how to use. Some are more loud and provocative than others, some are more natural and some others are more trained to be that way. But all of them have that sarcastic talk routine when confronted.
    I'm a General Practitioner, not a Psychiatrist, so my assessment is quite limited. Plus, unlike with manga, comic book characters are written by different writers, each one trying to convey in the page how they perceive a character in their own minds. No one perceives the same person the exact same way, so we can't really do a psycho-evaluation on a fictional character.

As Jason is my favorite character too, I would say he suffers from PTSD, not only from his death but also from the abuse and trauma he endured during his childhood. He's used to be the one who looks and protects others after his parents and Bruce, to some degree, failed to protect him from harm. He won't accept protection easily or flat out reject it due to this, as it leaves him uncomfortable and probably feeling useless and pathetic.

Despite his cocky attitude and bravado, he has very low self-esteem and likely an Inferiority Complex. His self-depreciating jokes are a coping mechanism to prevent others from telling him the faults he already believes he has. By telling them himself, he prevents others from doing so. It is also possible that he hopes someone would contradict him and answer something positive about him.

He thinks of himself worse than the other Robins, an outsider, while also acknowledging their worth, especially with Dick and Tim. He also believes Bruce thinks lowly of him, hence why he keeps them at bay, once again as a way to protect himself. He's afraid that if he lowers his defenses, people will hurt him. So he pushes them away before they get a chance to leave him.

He seriously needs a supportive, constant father figure to both support and set an example for him.

That's my take on Jason Todd.

In my opinion:

Dick - Cocky jock who likes showing off, he was an acrobat and in the circus, being social

Jason - Sensitive and anger issues,

Tim - Bookworm who likes helping people

Damien - Snob who enjoys hurting people he sees as weak.

Carrie - The girl, and adventurous

Quote Originally Posted by kaimaciel View Post
    I'm a General Practitioner, not a Psychiatrist, so my assessment is quite limited. Plus, unlike with manga, comic book characters are written by different writers, each one trying to convey in the page how they perceive a character in their own minds. No one perceives the same person the exact same way, so we can't really do a psycho-evaluation on a fictional character.
    It's OK, we're doing this just for fun. It's not a real person, so we don't need to take it too seriously. And besides, it all depends a lot on the reader's eye, as you've pointed out.

As Jason is my favorite character too, I would say he suffers from PTSD, not only from his death but also from the abuse and trauma he endured during his childhood. He's used to be the one who looks and protects others after his parents and Bruce, to some degree, failed to protect him from harm. He won't accept protection easily or flat out reject it due to this, as it leaves him uncomfortable and probably feeling useless and pathetic.

Despite his cocky attitude and bravado, he has very low self-esteem and likely an Inferiority Complex. His self-depreciating jokes are a coping mechanism to prevent others from telling him the faults he already believes he has. By telling them himself, he prevents others from doing so. It is also possible that he hopes someone would contradict him and answer something positive about him.

He thinks of himself worse than the other Robins, an outsider, while also acknowledging their worth, especially with Dick and Tim. He also believes Bruce thinks lowly of him, hence why he keeps them at bay, once again as a way to protect himself. He's afraid that if he lowers his defenses, people will hurt him. So he pushes them away before they get a chance to leave him.

He seriously needs a supportive, constant father figure to both support and set an example for him.

Definitely. If not a father, some close supporting-guide system.

BANNED

Excellent view on Jason. I think you have him nailed, all the reasons I like Jason so much. I see Jason as the kid who never had a childhood, got kicked around, had a couple of decent years, then got over-killed. He clawed himself out through over six feet of dirt. If waking up in a coffin, then digging yourself out with your own fingers--if THAT doesn't cause PTSD, I don't know what will. I think he might intellectually understand that Bruce adopted HIM, to call him his own son--when he didn't care enough about Dick to do that (never occurred to him in all those years to adopt a mongrel circus brat), but poor Jason can't accept that on an emotional level. Jason can't believe himself worthy of being WANTED. Damian is the biological son, Tim has his own parents and the doting brass at DC, but Jason is the one Bruce WANTED. And I think Jason just can't wrap his head around that so he inadvertently becomes his own self-fulfilling prophecy. I'd really like to see Jason get a break and some good things in life.
    Last edited by oasis1313; 10-26-2018 at 06:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by oasis1313 View Post
    Excellent view on Jason. I think you have him nailed, all the reasons I like Jason so much. I see Jason as the kid who never had a childhood, got kicked around, had a couple of decent years, then got over-killed. He clawed himself out through over six feet of dirt. If waking up in a coffin, then digging yourself out with your own fingers--if THAT doesn't cause PTSD, I don't know what will. I think he might intellectually understand that Bruce adopted HIM, to call him his own son--when he didn't care enough about Dick to do that (never occurred to him in all those years to adopt a mongrel circus brat), but poor Jason can't accept that on an emotional level. Jason can't believe himself worthy of being WANTED. Damian is the biological son, Tim has his own parents and the doting brass at DC, but Jason is the one Bruce WANTED. And I think Jason just can't wrap his head around that so he inadvertently becomes his own self-fulfilling prophecy. I'd really like to see Jason get a break and some good things in life.
    Until DC decides that heroes can be happy at times, probably won't be seeing it outside of fanfics. Though, if and when Lobdell brings Artemis and Biz back, Jason will at least have his own little Outlaw family back, oddballs that they are.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Until DC decides that heroes can be happy at times, probably won't be seeing it outside of fanfics. Though, if and when Lobdell brings Artemis and Biz back, Jason will at least have his own little Outlaw family back, oddballs that they are.
    Yeah, I know, "heroes are supposed to suffer all the time." But Jason never seems to get an even break. Well, Dick and Damian don't, either, but I wish good things for them. Probably not going to get them, but when you like these kids, you just hate seeing poopy dumped on their little four-color heads.

Fantastic Member

...and despite sometimes being ignored, rejected, or violently rejected, he's still available. When it gets really bad sometimes I wonder why he doesn't just leave. Well, he does sometimes, but he always comes back without having to hear an apology.
    It depends i think. The thing is with Dick there is two development bases and both throroughly decide every Bat's direction. It's your choice if you want to view him as. :

1. The Robin closest to Bruce in ages and skills, knows Bruce the longest and went though Bruce change's in personality from pre-Jason to post-Jason. Is the best everything and everything Bruce wishes he could be. Rebelious and ambitious, kind of a Dick to Bruce on his own and Bruce being nicer. Every Robin look up to him. Trains Tim and Damian and is the shown Second best detective plus better practical fighter than Batman that sheds the Robin persona and grows up to be Batman's equal. The most connected superhero thanks to his time as Robin. This development is shown from the 70s to mid-90s before Tim even has a personality, and shown when he is batman (because he was always meant to) In other words, thanks to a much nicer Bruce, no Robin is, or thinks of themselves as better than Dick.

2. The incompetent, annoying Robin that got fired and replaced due to teen urges and failure. The emo that Batgod treats like a **** soldier. Jason thinks Jason is better than him . Tim is leagues better than him and even Damian can yell at him. This is post-2000 characteriation via Chuck Dixon's bullshit retcons like Nightwing Year One and New52 and Rebirth. In other words, he was with batgod from the start and Robin got better from Dick.

Personally at least, i'd like to think Dick was so forgiving to Bruce's **** is because he grew up from (1). He knows he owes Bruce everything he has,. He thinks it's because he couldn't save Bruce, was a little **** to Bruce that Jason died. He was angry and not completely willing to work with Bruce and that made Bruce more and more withdrawn. And while he was growing up, Bruce changes as well, becoming a legend that's bigger than anything he could ever be. Like i said, he thrives mostly on guilt after Jason's death. With his many year experiences in team work, he came to understand that people needs Batman more than need him, so he persist to help and hold any anger back in other to keep peace between his family members.

(2) just reduces his traits to the 2d- nice doormat. I think because while the Nightwing series trashed his 80s origins, other writers still remember him as the well-loved (by Bruce even) and connected Robin. So even in the new52 where he was Robin for 1 year and every one else was better and he was treated like ****, he still acts like a saint thus his reputation as the "nicest" Robin grows. That's just complete disservice and missed the point.
    Last edited by nhienphan2808; 10-26-2018 at 07:30 PM.

BANNED

I've noticed DC calling Tim the world's second-greatest detective more than once. Now Dick Grayson has even had his own name stripped from him. It's tragic.

Tim’s more of a clairvoyant then a detective if you ask me.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    Yeah. I notice that too.

I really like Tim, but he seems to predict the future more than detective work.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post

This is actually kind of true now that I think on it. Maybe Tim is a low key metahuman.

Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    This is actually kind of true now that I think on it. Maybe Tim is a low key metahuman.
    Really, Bruce and most of the Robins could be considered as such. Functioning on a few hours of sleep, recovering from otherwise life crippling injuries, barreling through hordes of goons to fight the big bad...

And that's not getting into some of the more specifics for each of them.