Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by OWL45 View Post
    I liked this issue and a fan of Kaine. Does he have his Spider Sense back? At the end when they were attacked it read like he was one of the people that yelled out Spider Sense. It was 3 people and Jessica doesn’t have a Spider Sense at all.
    I read that the same way you did.
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    Co-Host of the Attilan Rising Podcast Follow @SpiderWomnDaily on Twitter, and check out To Know Her Is To Fear Here: The Spider-Woman Podcast

So this new alternate Peter Parker introduced in this comic, named Charlie (I'm guessing his name got changed after adoption in a foster family), is...certainly interesting...for lack of a better word.

Actually, correct me if I'm mistaken, but from what I can tell, he's basically Peter Parker if Uncle Ben and Aunt May where actually not good people like they are in most continuities/universes, and decided not to raise Peter after the death of his parents, leading to him growing up in the Foster Care system right and serve two years in Juvie? Like considering that, how exactly does he still have webshooters, let alone Spider powers? I mean, he doesn't seem at all into science like the regular Peter Parker because of his completely different upbringing? Personality wise, he's clearly extremely different to the Peter we know, considering his apparent racism (at least, it seems that way, what with his his honestly unnecessary racist comment to Ashley Barton is any indication) and the fact he bullies people and steals their money, so it makes me wonder how exactly he got webshooters.

Also, does anyone else get the strong impression that he's actually a alternate universe version of Ultimate Peter specifically, not simply 616 Peter?

What racist comment did Charlie say to Ashley. All he did was question her being his granddaughter when they are 2 different races. It’s a legitimate confusion especially stacked with him being 13.

I find Charlie interesting too. I'm not familiar with Earth 1610 Peter, so I can't comment on that. What I am going to say is that Kaine clearly brought him along as bait for Verna. At least that's my opinion.
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    Co-Host of the Attilan Rising Podcast Follow @SpiderWomnDaily on Twitter, and check out To Know Her Is To Fear Here: The Spider-Woman Podcast

Quote Originally Posted by Nerdman3000 View Post
    So this new alternate Peter Parker introduced in this comic, named Charlie (I'm guessing his name got changed after adoption in a foster family), is...certainly interesting...for lack of a better word.

Actually, correct me if I'm mistaken, but from what I can tell, he's basically Peter Parker if Uncle Ben and Aunt May where actually not good people like they are in most continuities/universes, and decided not to raise Peter after the death of his parents, leading to him growing up in the Foster Care system right and serve two years in Juvie? Like considering that, how exactly does he still have webshooters, let alone Spider powers? I mean, he doesn't seem at all into science like the regular Peter Parker because of his completely different upbringing? Personality wise, he's clearly extremely different to the Peter we know, considering his apparent racism (at least, it seems that way, what with his his honestly unnecessary racist comment to Ashley Barton is any indication) and the fact he bullies people and steals their money, so it makes me wonder how exactly he got webshooters.

Also, does anyone else get the strong impression that he's actually a alternate universe version of Ultimate Peter specifically, not simply 616 Peter?
    Maybe he stole them... maybe there's an older Miles in his universe and it's his tech.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member

This was... okay.

Really the only reason I picked it up was for Kaine (his scars certainly seem a lot less). Wasn’t a fan at all of “Charlie” (or grampa as Ashley knows him). Found his angsty cynicism to be supremely annoying. And the “teen lingo” just sounded forced, like a middle-aged man doing an impression of how he thinks teenagers talk (which I guess it was).

It was an inoffensive, meh issue. Nothing bad, but not worth the $4 price tag. ‘Spider-Girls’ from last week was better I thought.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Yeah, this issue was a respectable start. I can see why "Charlie" would rub readers the wrong way; he's a little s*** with no respect or consideration for anyone (I can definitely see a resemblance to Damian Wayne, as cited by Priest himself in the interviews leading up to this), but if the backstory he's trying not to give away is any part true, then he has his reasons. Not excuses for him to be a jack@$$, but one can understand how and why he'd get that way. And yeah, Seren's idea that Kaine brought him along as bait for Verna would make sense, especially given how he got Jessica to join him on the mission in the first place by warning her that Verna would be coming for her son Gerry. Dirty pool, but this is Christopher Priest's wheelhouse, anti-heroic (or downright villainous, in Deathstroke's case) protagonists who aren't afraid to screw with or manipulate even allies, "friends," or family to achieve otherwise well-intentioned or at least benign goals. As for Charlie and his interactions with Ashley, I kinda liked her trying to give him advice that was in line with her character as presented in the original Old Man Logan storyline. Looking forward to them developing a kind of begrudging "big sister/little brother" relationship.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

You know the other thing that struck me as a bit odd? Gerry recognizing Kaine as if Kaine if were around enough for Gerry to know. Last I figured, Jess and Kaine only know each other through the previous Spider-Verse..but that's about it. Also, Kaine knew about Roger.

To be fair, I'm not familiar with Kaine. And he certainly seems to be the type who would keep tabs on those who could take him out. But still. I thought it was kind of odd.

Quote Originally Posted by Seren View Post
    You know the other thing that struck me as a bit odd? Gerry recognizing Kaine as if Kaine if were around enough for Gerry to know. Last I figured, Jess and Kaine only know each other through the previous Spider-Verse..but that's about it. Also, Kaine knew about Roger.

To be fair, I'm not familiar with Kaine. And he certainly seems to be the type who would keep tabs on those who could take him out. But still. I thought it was kind of odd.
    No it's definitely a bit of a plot hole considering that since Kaine became a hero back at Spider-Island, he's never directly interacted with Jessica. After Spider-Island he left New York right away, was in Huston his entire solo aside from a quick trip to New York where he only interacted with the X-Men and Spock. After that then was with the New Warriors until Spider-Verse after which he would have had no interaction since he was thought dead by everyone, hanging out at the Web Warrior's base trying to deal with the Carrions only coming back to 616 at Clone Conspiracy. And following that, he's been in Vegas keeping an eye on Ben so there's no way they'd be so familiar with one another, much less Gerry recognizing him.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Yeah, this issue was a respectable start. I can see why "Charlie" would rub readers the wrong way; he's a little s*** with no respect or consideration for anyone (I can definitely see a resemblance to Damian Wayne, as cited by Priest himself in the interviews leading up to this), but if the backstory he's trying not to give away is any part true, then he has his reasons. Not excuses for him to be a jack@$$, but one can understand how and why he'd get that way. And yeah, Seren's idea that Kaine brought him along as bait for Verna would make sense, especially given how he got Jessica to join him on the mission in the first place by warning her that Verna would be coming for her son Gerry. Dirty pool, but this is Christopher Priest's wheelhouse, anti-heroic (or downright villainous, in Deathstroke's case) protagonists who aren't afraid to screw with or manipulate even allies, "friends," or family to achieve otherwise well-intentioned or at least benign goals. As for Charlie and his interactions with Ashley, I kinda liked her trying to give him advice that was in line with her character as presented in the original Old Man Logan storyline. Looking forward to them developing a kind of begrudging "big sister/little brother" relationship.
    I agree, I liked Charlie and Ashley's interactions and depending on how this goes I can see her making him a protege of sorts. As for Jessica - I'm intrigued by the line at the start of the story that she would be the only one NOT to die there - but then he later says they're all dead anyway. I'm here for Jess (you all know that already), but I really can't help but wonder exactly how/if she gets 'em all out alive (the solicitation for the 3rd issue is pretty heavily focused on Jess, so she's got a big part to play).

And Kurolegacy, I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought it weird. Either Priest didn't know, or it's a deliberate thing we'll find out about later?

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

This felt very Priest in the best way to me. Sharp, dark, funny, and non-linear. I'm really looking forward to the next two issues.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Astonishing Member

"Charlie" was quite interesting, but I'm more interested in the last member "Spider-Astronaut". I'm not sure who he is exactly:

1º) A Spider version of Coronel John Jameson.
    2º) A "symbiote-less" version of Flash Thompson with spider powers in his role as "Agent of Cosmos".

Any of you know for sure?

Quote Originally Posted by Ursalink View Post
    "Charlie" was quite interesting, but I'm more interested in the last member "Spider-Astronaut". I'm not sure who he is exactly:

1º) A Spider version of Coronel John Jameson.
    2º) A "symbiote-less" version of Flash Thompson with spider powers in his role as "Agent of Cosmos".

Any of you know for sure?
    I'm predicting John Jameson, because you have the excuse of when Ock destroyed that world, he survived because he was stuck up in space. Plus I think it would be a bit more interesting to have him rather than another Flash.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    I'm predicting John Jameson, because you have the excuse of when Ock destroyed that world, he survived because he was stuck up in space. Plus I think it would be a bit more interesting to have him rather than another Flash.
    I wonder if the Spider-Flash Thompson and the Spider-Punisher from the most recent What If's issues will appear in Spider-Geddon. The Spider-Punisher would surely suit for Spider-Force.

I thought he was being called Astro Spider? Either way, Inversed reasoning makes sense. And if he was stuck in space, it explains why he wasn't in Spider-verse.