Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default BATMAN SECRET FILES #1 (2018 version)

Anybody planning to get this when it comes out next week (on Halloween)?

BATMAN SECRET FILES #1
    Delve into Batman's case histories and discover brand-new stories by some of comics' most exciting talents. The BATMAN team of Tom King and Mikel Janin provides a framing sequence, setting up our hand-picked teams of creators to take a look at Bat-mysteries past and present. Featuring a bevy of Batman villains, including a look at how the Scarecrow's fear toxin affects the common man, and a special story written by Tom Taylor with art by Brad Walker that teams the Dark Knight Detective with Detective Chimp.
    (W) Tom King, Jodie Bellaire, Ram V., Cheryl Lynn Eaton, Tom Taylor
    (A) Jorge Fornes, Elena Casagrande, Brad Walker
    (A/CA) Mikel Janin
    In Shops: Oct 31, 2018
    SRP: $4.99
    https://www.previewsworld.com/Catalog/AUG180451

Jorge Fornes makes this a must buy.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

Any (spoiler-free, perhaps?) reviews? I have soft spot for those late 90s/early 00s Secret Files & Origins so when I saw this my heart skipped a beat, but before I shell out five bucks -- was it worth it?

It's really only a collection of short stories/vignettes. No bio pages, utility belt schematics or other "Secret Files" trappings (which I love).

I'm only part of the way through, but the first story, by King, was OK -- it ended abruptly and didn't really feel like it delivered on its interesting premise. The second, featuring the Scarecrow (sorta), was excellent.

I like short, self-contained stories and have dropped all the regular Batbooks, so I'm happy to have picked this up for a Batman fix.
    Last edited by Jadeb; 10-31-2018 at 09:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jadeb View Post
    I like short, self-contained stories and have dropped all the regular Batbooks, so I'm happy to have picked this up for a Batman fix.
    Me too, so I'll dip my toe in, I did wonder whether (given the less than clear description from DC) this was a retread of older stories by modern artists/writers

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Preview from DC digital

I like his Joker one-shot in the Prelude before the Prelude of The Wedding, but I don't know about this writing style.

edef1a65ccaef2119b7d3073ece8c180._SX1280_QL80_TTD_.jpg

This feels kinda... Noir? The way the narration is written?

Amazing Member

I'm glad you mentioned the abruptness of the first story. I honestly thought about going back to my comic shop, just to see if maybe I had somehow gotten an issue that had been mis-stapled or something.

It was a real moment of, "That's it? That can't be it."

All in all, though... I did enjoy it. Maybe not $5 enjoyed it, but I can't seem to find the big Batman books at my local Wal-Mart. So I guess this will have to do.

It's really only a collection of short stories/vignettes. No bio pages, utility belt schematics or other "Secret Files" trappings (which I love).

I'm only part of the way through, but the first story, by King, was OK -- it ended abruptly and didn't really feel like it delivered on its interesting premise. The second, featuring the Scarecrow (sorta), was excellent.

Yeah, I just assumed the King story was book ending the whole issue. Was a bit confused when the issue just ended without a concluding part.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

I'm a bit disappointed in two things, one petty, one less so.

Petty thing: Batman's belt isn't foil. C'mon, these foil covers are supposed to be SHINY!

Less Petty: Secret Files - but no character profiles!
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Quote Originally Posted by willtupper View Post
    but I can't seem to find the big Batman books at my local Wal-Mart. So I guess this will have to do.
    Big Batman books??? You mean TPBs - or m I missing something?

Quote Originally Posted by The Cheat View Post
    Yeah, I just assumed the King story was book ending the whole issue. Was a bit confused when the issue just ended without a concluding part.
    Yeah, I thought that too. Even flipped to the back to see.

The first time I read King’s story, I thought the implication was that spoilers:
    Batman imagined giving in to the temptation to incinerate the Joker for killing that woman, explaining why he couldn’t accept Superman’s gift. But then I read it again and it appears that he imagined vaporizing the bullet, which makes the story feel even more pointless. Am I missing something? Or is King suggesting Batman has done so much of this navel-gazing there’s no need to bother writing an ending?
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Omniscient1 View Post
    Big Batman books??? You mean TPBs - or m I missing something?
    The $5 100-page giants that are exclusive to Wal-Mart, i assume. They’re mostly reprints.
    Last edited by Jadeb; 10-31-2018 at 03:03 PM.

The $5 100-page giants that are exclusive to Wal-Mart, i assume. They’re mostly reprints.
    Ah thanks. No Wal-Marts in The Grim North ...

Quote Originally Posted by Omniscient1 View Post
    Ah thanks. No Wal-Marts in The Grim North ...
    Even in places where there are Walmart locations, not all stores are carrying it.
    (I've checked three different locations and haven't seen any sign of the DC comic books at any of them, though I haven't actually asked any store employees if they may have gotten them or not.)

Amazing Member

Those, yes.

I've found one Teen Titans issue so far, but that's been it.