Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
    Wonderful What If despite the fact that the scenario on the cover is never actually explored... since Magik never actually becomes Sorcerer Supreme in the book. She masters her magic and herself, and is on the way to possibly becoming the next Sorcerer Supreme. Still a great character piece with good action.
    I loved the dialogue.
    Illyana's trauma and self-hate are painful to witness. Belasco's pedo 'love' remains disgusting, and he deserved what he got.
    The art grew on me. It worked for the book.
    That Soul Staff looks awesome.
    Looks like the X-Men completely failed Illyana in the 616, and Dr. Strange is where she should have been taken immediately for mystic training and psychological counseling.
    This was a perfect Halloween read.

Favourite panels...
    Attachment 73075
    Attachment 73076
    Attachment 73077
    Fortunately as an adult she went to Dr. Strange on her own. So Strange still ends up helping her, and retraining her in magic.

Fantastic Member

What If: Magik is a return to form with the best Doctor Strange story we've seen since before Jason Aaron took over, at least, and arguably since the heyday of the dear doctor in the Seventies. It's a type of Doctor Strange that has a tangible sense of power with him, a disconnect on some levels of the affairs of normal people, paired with a deep sense of compassion and mercy that he hides that has been lost in a lot of modern writing of Stephen. The story itself is excellent, with serious ruminations on the nature of abuse and how it affects people, how broken people can be fixed, and some fantastic character work both for Illyana and for Stephen. It's a story that needs a cinematic adaption. The artwork is great as well, with a lovely painted cover and interior moody art that can shift between the darkness of a little alley and the trippy fantasticness of a parallel plane with no issue.

10/10. Read it.

BANNED

Once the New Mutants movie comes out they could easily do this with Illyana & Dr. Strange as a movie.

Even the dialogue. It would only need to be stretched out to fill 2 hours.

Well it does end rather abruptly, and as said previously in the thread they don't even answer the question "what if she became SS." They just really covered the "how." A movie could absolutely bring in her ascension into the role and possibly an earlier "death" of Strange to force her into it before she's ready. Typical narrative of underdog taking on more than they can chew and kicking ass in the process. But yeah, I 100% agree that this would be a fantastic way to introduce her to the wider Marvel film universe. I mean Cumberbatch will only want to do so many Strange movies where Anya Taylor-Joy (if they kept her as the character) is young enough in her career that a Marvel contract would be extremely tempting.

Otherwise I loved the book. Wonderful art that took me back to early New Mutants books and great writing and interactions that fit the characters. After this and Emma Black, can we just get Leah Williams on her own perm X-line?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by pandafarmer View Post
    Well it does end rather abruptly, and as said previously in the thread they don't even answer the question "what if she became SS." They just really covered the "how." A movie could absolutely bring in her ascension into the role and possibly an earlier "death" of Strange to force her into it before she's ready. Typical narrative of underdog taking on more than they can chew and kicking ass in the process. But yeah, I 100% agree that this would be a fantastic way to introduce her to the wider Marvel film universe. I mean Cumberbatch will only want to do so many Strange movies where Anya Taylor-Joy (if they kept her as the character) is young enough in her career that a Marvel contract would be extremely tempting.

Otherwise I loved the book. Wonderful art that took me back to early New Mutants books and great writing and interactions that fit the characters. After this and Emma Black, can we just get Leah Williams on her own perm X-line?
    They could just have him train her in the event that something happens to him, but like you said it's a good way to intro her into the MU.

As fun as it would be, I imagine the MCU would get a LOT of flack from respective fan camps if Strange apprenticed a newly introduced Illyana.

a) Strange fans might find it a detraction from Strange himself, taking away from their enjoyment of Strange
    b) Fans of Wanda might find it insulting that Strange chose Illyana, rather than an already established "witch" in the MCU

BANNED

Elizabeth Olsen said Wanda is going to go through a lot more in Avengers 4, so maybe the direction they'll take with Wanda is to make her a villain...maybe she'd unlock Dourmoru Strange & Illyana will fight them both, Strange will get through to Wanda and all three will fight Dourmoru and at the end it'll be the three of them floating around meditating.

Wanda is getting a 4-6 episode "series" for the new Disney streaming service. It wouldn't shock me if they were slowly going to set her up for House Of M though. Elizabeth Olsen has mentioned that she really wants to do that storyline but knows the difficulty of working mutants into the mix at the current time. In 5-10 years though it could be a multi pic epic like Infinity Wars or Civil War was.

Quote Originally Posted by silence. View Post
    So.. Explain to me why I had to deal with a whole year of Guggenheim and Bunn when Leah Williams is waiting on deck and brimming with ridiculously great ideas and an actual interest in capturing the characters she's writings voices and history?

Why is she not the person next in line to serve as the franchise's shepherd?
    YyyyyaaaaaaaSSSSS
    Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    As fun as it would be, I imagine the MCU would get a LOT of flack from respective fan camps if Strange apprenticed a newly introduced Illyana.

a) Strange fans might find it a detraction from Strange himself, taking away from their enjoyment of Strange
    b) Fans of Wanda might find it insulting that Strange chose Illyana, rather than an already established "witch" in the MCU
    Or despite the whitewashing accusations of the 1st movie and interesting characters like Wong(Comics) and Mordo (movie)why another white character....when Noriko ...Bro VooDoo could easily work

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    YyyyyaaaaaaaSSSSS

Or despite the whitewashing accusations of the 1st movie and interesting characters like Wong(Comics) and Mordo (movie)why another white character....when Noriko ...Bro VooDoo could easily work
    Because this is a thread about Magik. so why we start a discussion about other characters?

They could be incorporated too, but the idea started from what happened in the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteQueenEmmaFrost View Post
    Because this is a thread about Magik. so why we start a discussion about other characters?.
    lol the 3 preceeding posts were about SWs role in a hypothetical DrS movie, or about her debut on Disneys streaming service. But the buck stops at Noriko and Bro VooDoo??
    lol smdh
    Not
    They could be incorporated too, but the idea started from what happened in the issue.
    Oh I didn't see the page Wanda was on lol
    Last edited by BroHomo; 11-01-2018 at 08:40 AM.

lol the 3 preceeding posts were about SWs role in a hypothetical DrS movie, or about her debut on Disneys streaming service. But the buck stops at Noriko and Bro VooDoo??
    Its Nico, baby doll. Not Noriko.

BANNED

lol smdh
    Not

Oh I didn't see the page Wanda was on lol
    You're question came off as to why were talking about Magik being in another Dr. Strange movie as opposed to Nico or Bro VooDoo.

I barely know anything about Dr. Strange other than it was just an 'ok' movie, so my thinking was more along the lines of "how can get get the Xmen to incorporate into the MCU movies" and that's how that started...someone else said Wanda because she's already an established character.

...someone else said Wanda because she's already an established character.

I said her fans would likely take issue with Illyana being introduced as Strange MD's apprentice, rather than the already established witchy Wanda.

Its Nico, baby doll. Not Noriko.
    LOL. Laaawd I'm done.
    At least I didn't say Hisako lol *whew*
    All apologies to Sister Grimm

The Scarlett Witch's legacy continues to wreck havok