Default Culling The Masses

Hey, newbie here. Been collecting things for as long as I can remember, be it comics, toys, knives. CD’s and whatever else piques my interest. Anyway, I’ve been lurking here for awhile and I’ve seen pics of the collections a few of the members have here and I’m curious: is it healthy to clear out the things you don’t read? Or do you let it collect dust on a shelf?
    In particular, I’ve been collecting TPB’s for a few years now and I revisit some stories after awhile, but others I never touch after that initial read. So am I making it more complicated than it has to be by wondering if it’s a good thing to clear out the trades I don’t read anymore? Or should I hold onto them for their aesthetic value on my shelf?
    Well, I’ll close by saying I’m glad I finally signed up for the forum and I’m thankful for any and all who read this obnoxiously long first post.

Do you like having them on your shelf? Keep them.

Do you need the space and don't have any emotional connection with them? Sell them or give them away.

There is no rigid right or wrong here.

Having free space can be good.
    However, there may be times in your life where you want to look back at things later on, and it may turn out you may really enjoy reading them again then.

It all depends on what type of personality you are.

Clear your soul of the clutter. Having massive amounts of CB on your shelves makes you look like a dysfunctional man-child. Just not a good look overall. Having a few "TASTEFUL" nick-knacks on your shelves can look like you have a quirky/fun personality.

I give away books that I've read to others or I toss them. You could do a mass sale on Ebay for super-cheap just to move them out.

Space for the things I find precious are more important.

Quote Originally Posted by Wendigo View Post
    Hey, newbie here. Been collecting things for as long as I can remember, be it comics, toys, knives. CD’s and whatever else piques my interest. Anyway, I’ve been lurking here for awhile and I’ve seen pics of the collections a few of the members have here and I’m curious: is it healthy to clear out the things you don’t read? Or do you let it collect dust on a shelf?
    In particular, I’ve been collecting TPB’s for a few years now and I revisit some stories after awhile, but others I never touch after that initial read. So am I making it more complicated than it has to be by wondering if it’s a good thing to clear out the trades I don’t read anymore? Or should I hold onto them for their aesthetic value on my shelf?
    Well, I’ll close by saying I’m glad I finally signed up for the forum and I’m thankful for any and all who read this obnoxiously long first post.
    Good to have you here. I personally have a lot of stuff that are collecting dust and honestly speaking, my house is already short on space. However, I have no desires to get rid of anything. I think I'm a hoarder by nature, but I do go through my comics somewhat annually. I will read some new stuff that I bought and hadn't had a chance to read, or old stuff I'm reminiscing about.

I also didn't have book shelves for the longest time, so I didn't really get to display my trades properly. Now I only have one and I haven't really had a chance to stock it with only comics (it's got a bunch of stuff on it), but I eventually plan to clear out this one room I have with more shelves and display my trades more lovingly.
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

'Sup Choom? Handsome men don't lose fights's Avatar

Man, I threw out a lot of my old stuff back in 2004, reasoning that I needed to make a fresh start and put childish things behind me. Long story short, I live in a much bigger house now and it's too damn empty. Plus, I really miss all my old toys and games. I feel in hindsight that I made a big mistake. You're not gonna live forever. Surround yourself with what makes you happy, and let the vultures who'll pick over your remains decide what becomes of your stuff.
    "A happy ending? So unlikely. We're not having a moment here.

Wrong city, wrong people, all huddling in fear.

No one escapes the slaughterhouse, and that's just where you're at.

(You could've asked Rebecca but then Adam stomped her flat.)

You think you're special cuz you're scrappy? You're deluded, time to go.

Lucy's living on the moon but you're another dead psycho."