Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default IDW: How about a Dungeons & Dragons mini based on the 1980s TV cartoon?

I'd like to see a Dungeons & Dragons comic series based on the 1980s animated series which aired on CBS, and was co-produced by Marvel.

Hank, Eric, Sheila, Diana, Presto, Bobby, and "Uni" traveling from place to place, trying to avoid Venger, etc.

The mini series can pick up with the characters at their original ages, or if they want to get a little more sophisticated, age them up by a few years.

The series can exist apart from any other D&D based comics continuity that exists, or, heck, it can be incorporated into one of the current canons out there--

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dungeo...ns_(TV_series)

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/10...-iron-studios/

Yeah I'd love to see this as well. I'm not sure why it hasn't been done yet.

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

I would say there might be licensing issues as if I recall correctly the series, and characters technically don't belong to WOTC or even Hasbro. They're owned by Disney after they acquired Marvel. But seeing that they're making statues of the characters, I guess whatever issues there are aren't too complicated to work through.

With the right creative team I'd check out a comics continuation of sorts. It's easy to throw away the Baldur's Gate references out the window, and the Third edition supplement wasn't beefy enough to have to worry about canon.

All-New Member

I would love to see this, if it starts with the ending they wanted to do but never got to make. I would also like to see a continuation of the Mighty Max series.

Quote Originally Posted by Personamanx View Post
    I would say there might be licensing issues as if I recall correctly the series, and characters technically don't belong to WOTC or even Hasbro. They're owned by Disney after they acquired Marvel. But seeing that they're making statues of the characters, I guess whatever issues there are aren't too complicated to work through.

With the right creative team I'd check out a comics continuation of sorts. It's easy to throw away the Baldur's Gate references out the window, and the Third edition supplement wasn't beefy enough to have to worry about canon.
    What is Baldur's Gate?

... it would be nice to see Dungeon master's true name and backstory, as well. The combat sequences could be more sophisticated, for sure. We could also see the history behind the enchanted weapons.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    What is Baldur's Gate?

... it would be nice to see Dungeon master's true name and backstory, as well. The combat sequences could be more sophisticated, for sure. We could also see the history behind the enchanted weapons.
    Baldur's Gate is a fictitious city on a continent called Faerūn, which exists in a DnD setting called "The Forgotten Realms*." Baldur's Gate is well known for having a video game named after it in the late '90s. In the game's sequel you can find a series of portraits based off of the cartoon's protagonists as an Easter egg, it is stated they were eaten by Tiamat. It was mostly just a joke.

*Some have argued that the cartoon itself takes place in the "Realms", but that's a bit of stretch as it wasn't officially adopted as a setting by TSR until 1987. Though it was well known in gaming circles decades prior.
    Last edited by Personamanx; 11-18-2018 at 10:29 AM.

Baldur's Gate is a fictitious city on a continent called Faerūn, which exists in a DnD setting called "The Forgotten Realms*." Baldur's Gate is well known for having a video game named after it in the late '90s. In the game's sequel you can find a series of portraits based off of the cartoon's protagonists as an Easter egg, it is stated they were eaten by Tiamat. It was mostly just a joke.

*Some have argued that the cartoon itself takes place in the "Realms", but that's a bit of stretch as it wasn't officially adopted as a setting by TSR until 1987. Though it was well known in gaming circles decades prior.
    I should note that I do feel like establishing a connection between the cartoon, and the Forgotten Realms could go a long way in getting fans of the tabletop game as well as the comic to re-embrace the cartoon. While the cartoon has had an influence on the game culture, it's largely ignored by Hasbro (Parent company of Wizards of the Coast, the current owners of DnD) because of the fact that it's owned by Disney.

The Forgotten Realms had fairly explicit connections to "Our" Earth back in the day that makes it more suitable to pair with the cartoon. The Dungeon Master as a character is the only thing that doesn't quite work. Not if you're being a stickler.

****, I want this comic now.

Incredible Member

A D&D mini would be nice if they did it based on the finale that was written years ago where they finally defeated Venger and went home. Followed by a mini where it's years later and the Dungeon Master asks them to return to defend the Realm from a new threat.

Troy Little (The artist of the current IDW miniseries "Rick & Morty Vs. Dungeons & Dragons") apparently have the cartoon protagonists cameo within the next issue. It isn't entirely flattering, but as largely a commentary on DnD culture I think it's fitting for the book to at least recognize the characters.

Ultimate Member

Whatever happened to the D & D series IDW published by that writer from Leverage? That was pretty good

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Whatever happened to the D & D series IDW published by that writer from Leverage? That was pretty good
    From what I hear the sales sank a bit too low for it to continue as an ongoing. There were plans to have Rogers continue with some miniseries, but schedules didn't really work out. After a while there were enough internal changes within WOTC, and IDW that the comics were passed onto other creators. Current Jim Zub pens the main line of DnD comics featuring a recurring party in the Forgotten Realms. Every now, and then there's a separate mini as well.

Read Kieron Gillen, Stephanie Hans, and Clayton Cowles new IMAGE series "Die."

It's essentially a re-imagining of the DnD cartoon's concept. Friends get trapped inside of a game, and some of them manage to escape after Two years. Twenty-Five years later they return to complete unfinished business, and rescue those they left behind. The tone is on the grim side, and I expect it to become more so but the first issue knocked my socks off.

Read Kieron Gillen, Stephanie Hans, and Clayton Cowles new IMAGE series "Die."

It's essentially a re-imagining of the DnD cartoon's concept. Friends get trapped inside of a game, and some of them manage to escape after Two years. Twenty-Five years later they return to complete unfinished business, and rescue those they left behind. The tone is on the grim side, and I expect it to become more so but the first issue knocked my socks off.
    25 years later? Sheesh.. are they middle aged now? how are they even remotely prepared to jump back into a fantasy - danger setting? lol..

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    25 years later? Sheesh.. are they middle aged now? how are they even remotely prepared to jump back into a fantasy - danger setting? lol..
    Yup, they're all in their late 30s or early 40s. None of them appear to be, but the received a signal that their friend might still be alive so they get back together to return.

Like I said it's dark in tone, and I only expect it to become more so. But it was a fantastic first issue. DnD meets Jumanji meets It.

Yup, they're all in their late 30s or early 40s. None of them appear to be, but the received a signal that their friend might still be alive so they get back together to return.

Like I said it's dark in tone, and I only expect it to become more so. But it was a fantastic first issue. DnD meets Jumanji meets It.
    hm. I imagine that the word "die" has a double meaning, for this story. lol.