Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    I thought they said a while ago that the show was getting close the end anyway. Wasn't the main reason the writers and producers wanted to keep going was to pass Gunsmoke for the most episodes of any TV show in history? They did that a little while ago.
    I don't think its gonna go away now with Disney in charge. Plus the fact New Fox needs programming and they will need The Simpsons around.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Quote Originally Posted by TomServofan View Post
    Who gives a **** about the show anymore?
    You, apparently. Why else write that long of a post (and not really on-topic for the thread) for show you say you gave up on 15 years ago?

It's got a 30 minute slot one night a week, and they only make twenty-something new episodes a year. It's easy for anyone who dislikes the show to avoid it if they're not purposefully looking to punish themselves.
    Conn Seanery
    CBR Forums Administrator ~ Ron Swansonite ~ Brock Samson will show us the way
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

"Hnh. Could Bowie have been a mutant?" ~Dr. Doom (Hellfire Gala 2022)

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by mburns View Post
    Virtually all of whom are also stereo types or idiots. If any one should be offended by the Simpsons it should be white men.

Fat Tony - Italian mafia
    Grounds Keeper Willie - Angry ignorant Scotsman
    Cletus - Inbred Redneck
    Mayor Quimby - Crooked Irish politician
    Montgomery Burns - Evil old rich guy
    Homer - Moron
    Bart - Underachieving troublemaker
    Chief Wiggum - Also a moron
    His son Ralphie - Basically retarded
    I fully undertand that Simpsons treats everyone like a caricature. The program is deeply satirical. That being said, if Scottish people and e.t.c complained about their depiction, then they should be heard.

My point is, we shouldn’t simply dismiss the concerns of Indians in this scenario. This isn’t a group of be-spectacled, blue haired twitter warriors screaming outrage, it’s a different ethnicity whose experiences we can’t directly relate to.

I don’t think Apu should be removed from the program (that’s a little much) but the parts of the character that Indians find offensive could be played down.
    Last edited by Username taken; 10-29-2018 at 11:21 PM.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRodriguez09 View Post
    And Apu is the 'Indian guy working in the 7-11 type store' stereotype.
    Yes, and that is a stereotypical portrayal of Indian immigrants in general. Is a tv-comedian with a silly costume and a catchphrase really considered a typical Mexican profession? I always assumed Bumblebee Man was not so much an ethnic stereotype as he was a specific parody just like Rainier Wolfcastle.

Virtually all of whom are also stereo types or idiots. If any one should be offended by the Simpsons it should be white men.

Fat Tony - Italian mafia
    Cletus - Inbred Redneck
    Homer - Moron
    It doesn't work like that,It is same thing when people don't get the difference between Blade,Bishop,Luke Cage and Black Panther being racebended and a white character. The problem is even if a white person is stereotype you can find a character(or show) that isn't a stereotype so you get some contrast. When you have Indian character as a stereotype it sticks out and you have nothing to contrast it against. Just like racebending one of the black male characters I mention takes away one of the four or five prominent characters in marvel. When they changed Wally West to a black character there was still 4 white male flash characters(Barry,Impulse,Max Mercury and Jay Garrick) or if you were change one of blond blue eye Avengers males they would still be four or five them around just in that group

Yes you can find tons of white stereotypes but if you poll people to name popular male indian character you would probably come back with Raj Koothrappali(Big Bang),Kumar(harold and Kumar) Apu(simpsons) and maybe you would say Aziz Ansari and Russell Peters in something. It is not a comparative thing when you mess up minority character the impact is bigger you don't have another chance for counter balance. And the answer is more characters now that there is a good character like Mile Morales I care less about a say Night thrasher or Black Vulcan.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 10-29-2018 at 11:22 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Moai View Post
    Yes, and that is a stereotypical portrayal of Indian immigrants in general. Is a tv-comedian with a silly costume and a catchphrase really considered a typical Mexican profession? I always assumed Bumblebee Man was not so much an ethnic stereotype as he was a specific parody just like Rainier Wolfcastle.
    Now you're just getting into semantics, as though there is something particularly offensive about Apu as a character. If anything Apu is one of the most positive stereotypes on the show. The man holds a doctorate in Computer Science, is a successful small business owner, he has a nice house and a muscle car; plus he's also a volunteer firefighter. This is the kind of depiction of an Indian immigrant that should be praised, as has been the case for the last 30 years. But alas in today’s outrage culture positive characters like Apu are easy targets for people with no sense of humour.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    It doesn't work like that,It is same thing when people don't get the difference between Blade,Bishop,Luke Cage and Black Panther being racebended and a white character. The problem is even if a white person is stereotype you can find a character(or show) that isn't a stereotype so you get some contrast. When you have Indian character as a stereotype it sticks out and you have nothing to contrast it against. Just like racebending one of the black male characters I mention takes away one of the four or five prominent characters in marvel. When they changed Wally West to a black character there was still 4 white male flash characters(Barry,Impulse,Max Mercury and Jay Garrick) or if you were change one of blond blue eye Avengers males they would still be four or five them around just in that group

Yes you can find tons of white stereotypes but if you poll people to name popular male indian character you would probably come back with Raj Koothrappali(Big Bang),Kumar(harold and Kumar) Apu(simpsons) and maybe you would say Aziz Ansari and Russell Peters in something. It is not a comparative thing when you mess up minority character the impact is bigger you don't have another chance for counter balance. And the answer is more characters now that there is a good character like Mile Morales I care less about a say Night thrasher or Black Vulcan.
    The Simpsons is not responsible for the lack of representation across the media for various minorities. They are only responsible for their own show.

Fantastic Member MarkRodriguez09's Avatar

The Simpsons is not responsible for the lack of representation across the media for various minorities. They are only responsible for their own show.
    And they're doing fine. They need to leave things alone. These guys don't even watch the show and have no right to suddenly start ****.

Where are their complaints against Raj, a guy with a funny accent and can't speak to women unless drunk and then turns into a jerk while drunk anyway.

I think they targeted the Simpsons because they are past their heyday. They don't dare touch BBT which is about to end anyway.

They need to get over it, plain and simple. They may not be blue haired SJWs, but they sure are acting like that. I mean what does it say about them that no other race is complaining about their portrayal on the show and they are? That they can't take a joke? That they don't have the thick skin Mexicans, Italians and Scottish do?
    Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
    I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/

And they're doing fine. They need to leave things alone. These guys don't even watch the show and have no right to suddenly start ****.
    The guy who made the documentary is a lifelong fan. Most of the people he interviews are too.

hat they don't have the thick skin Mexicans, Italians and Scottish do?
    Italian-American groups complain all the time about depictions of Italians in media. The word "Mafia" isn't in The Godfather because of this lobbying. And Spike Lee gets an earful anytime he puts out a movie with an Italian character that isn't a sterling example of citizenship.

(I also think it's a little more complicated with Italians. There are plenty of characters who are just Italian without it getting into negative stereotypes, but there is rarely a character who is identified as Sicilian whose story doesn't involve the Mafia to some degree. Lt. Giardello from Homicide: Life on the Street is the only exception I can think of just now.)

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Conn Seanery View Post
    You, apparently. Why else write that long of a post (and not really on-topic for the thread) for show you say you gave up on 15 years ago?

It's got a 30 minute slot one night a week, and they only make twenty-something new episodes a year. It's easy for anyone who dislikes the show to avoid it if they're not purposefully looking to punish themselves.
    But do you agree this show is a product of it's time and has no place/business being in this century when we have Bojack Horseman, Bob's Burgers etc. being the true successors of the Simpsons while The Simpsons is like an old pet you love, but needs to be put down.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post

IMO comparing film representation of Indians with Blacks and I'm using the word blacks simply because I'm counting all people worldwide who would be categorized as Black not just African Americans isn't a fair comparison because Blacks don't have the equivalent of Bollywood. While there are film industries in countries where blacks are the majority there is nothing with the international reach as Hollywood so blacks are forced to look to Hollywood for representation. Hispanics, Indians, French, UK Members, Italians, Scandinavians, Russians, Germans, Middle East, and Asians all have massive film industries from Various countries which Hollywood takes notes from even and offers worldwide representation. Which is why I feel that's a different situation.

Fat Tony - Italian mafia
    Cletus - Inbred Redneck
    Homer - Moron
    And let's get rid of them all.
    The Gypsies had no home. The Doors had no bass.

Does our reality determine our fiction or does our fiction determine our reality?

Whenever the question comes up about who some mysterious person is or who is behind something the answer will always be Frank Stallone.

"This isn't a locking the barn doors after the horses ran way situation this is a burn the barn down after the horses ran away situation."

Quote Originally Posted by Mormel View Post
    I think Kumar from Harold & Kumar was far more of a watershed character than Raj is. Raj is a foreign student with a thick accent, while Kumar was raised in America.
    Just a minor correction. Raj is not a student. Raj has a PHD in astrophysics and is a working scientist at Cal Tech.

Anyway Apu might not be gone after all.

The Simpsons showrunner Al Jean has weighed in on claims that the show’s controversial character Apu will be written out the show. Jean was responding to producer Adi Shankar’s remarks in an interview with Indiewire that he was told by “multiple sources” that Apu would be quietly dropped from the show. Jean, who has been with the show from the beginning, tweeted “Adi Shankar is not a producer on the Simpsons. I wish him the very best but he does not speak for our show.”
    https://deadline.com/2018/10/the-sim...ow-1202490855/

Where are their complaints against Raj, a guy with a funny accent and can't speak to women unless drunk and then turns into a jerk while drunk anyway.
    Because Raj is played by an actual Indian man using his real accent. Not some white guy pretending to be an Indian by using a fake Indian accent. And nothing about Raj not being able to talk to
    women stereotypes Indians. If Indian men couldn't talk to women, there wouldn't be over 1 billion Indians in the world.

Fantastic Member MarkRodriguez09's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    I thought they said a while ago that the show was getting close the end anyway. Wasn't the main reason the writers and producers wanted to keep going was to pass Gunsmoke for the most episodes of any TV show in history? They did that a little while ago.
    But his accent doesn't sound too different from Apu... Apu just sounds more exaggerated abd cartoonish because he's a cartoon.

Might as well get a real 10 year old boy voice Bart. Have everyone only voice their gender and race.
    Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
    I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/