Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mighty Member

I thought that Ozymandias was Judo Master. But, yup, Charlton sold DC fenced goods.

I read it. I have no previous familiarity with Peter Cannon; this issue didn't strike me as a must-have glad-I-got-it issue. It was good; I read a lot of good comics, and it didn't stand out to me...BUT: I am left definitely interested in next issue. What stands out for me, is Cannon's attitude, which, in his genre, I find refreshing and I'm more than willing to see how this is played out.
    Kieron Gillen is the main reason that I am interested in this.
    Current pull-file: Batman the Detective, Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight, Marvel Dark Ages, Nightwing, Superman Son of Kal-El, Transformers, Transformers: King Grimlock, Warhammer 40,000 Sisters of Battle
    -----------------------------
    - http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

Invincible Member

It seems quite "meta" so far.

Mighty Member

issue 2 shipped this week. I have purchased, but not yet read, a copy. (But, quickly flipping through leads me to think that this issue is very "meta".)
    Current pull-file: Batman the Detective, Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight, Marvel Dark Ages, Nightwing, Superman Son of Kal-El, Transformers, Transformers: King Grimlock, Warhammer 40,000 Sisters of Battle

Mighty Member

Issue 2 and 3:
    Peter Cannon has to be the most genre-savvy character in comics, aside from (maybe) Deadpool. Much of this issue is an example of why it is okay to break rules of tradecraft, if somebody understands the reasoning behind the rule to begin with. (Put another way, I can accept the riff on 90s indie garbage because I know that Gillen can do better. From a creator who had not proven their abilities on multiple other fronts, a retro-indie riff would be much harder to stomach.)

If I were likely to be able to find the compilation, I might just wait for that. But, there is no guarantee of finding it, so I am sticking with the single issues.

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

Issue 4 has got to be one of the most quirky comics I've read in a long time (and I make a concerted effort to read 'quirky comics'!), from its largely black and white (yay!) interiors, in the style of, and referencing, Eddie Campbell (YAY!!) and featuring him (although never fully named) as a background character, to its use of lead character Peter Cannon in several 'competing' roles. Will be rereading issues 1-4 this weekend to see if I can really get a grasp on what's going on --Peter from Dimension Whatever (or the future?), Peter from our (fictional) present, Peter from...I forget when!.. and how they're influencing one-another... And I really enjoy our-present Peter's all-but indifferent attitude toward what's happening, or is it less indifference, more his complete competence, or... Anyway, this is shaping into a really enjoyable series for me, one I hope will actually continue on for a while.
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

Does Thunderbolt end with issue 5?
    Didn't see it offered this time 'round.
    That'd be annoying--would like to see more.
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

Quote Originally Posted by matt levin View Post
    Does Thunderbolt end with issue 5?
    Didn't see it offered this time 'round.
    That'd be annoying--would like to see more.
    Issue #5 is as far as they list on the Dynamite website, and I'm not aware of any further issues listed for June or July.
    (I guess five issues is enough for a tpb collection?)

PETER CANNON: THUNDERBOLT #5
    Writer: Kieron Gillen
    Art: Caspar Wijngaard
    Genre: Superhero
    Publication Date: May 2019
    Format: Comic Book
    Page Count: 32 Page
    ON SALE DATE: 5/29/2019
    All that exists, and all that ever will exists rests on the confrontation between two men who are the same man. Peter Cannon versus Peter Cannon, for the future of the canon. Who wins? Who loses? Peter Cannon. Evidently.
    https://www.dynamite.com/htmlfiles/v...nderbolt_Vol_2