View Poll Results: Was OMD Pointless If The Rumors of MJ & Peter Reuniting Are True?

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

25 43.86%
  • No

25 43.86%
  • Unsure

7 12.28%
Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Question Was One More Day Pointless?

I have an interesting hypothetical question for everyone. If recent rumors prove true that Spencer will be putting Peter & MJ back together long-term especially if they remarry does this prove OMD was a failed experiment? As for my own opinion, I'm not sure as we did get some interesting storylines such as Superior Spider-Man out of the change which arguably would have been hard to pull off with either a relationship committed or married Spidey.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Astonishing Member

I voted No.
    Even if Peter and Mary Jane remarry again in the future,this do not take the merit of how a fresh new status quo was in need to be able to tell diferente type of stories with Peter Parker that were not posible with the stories featuring Peter and MJ married.

I don't know. Subjectively, I think it was extremely pointless in terms of the premise, but objectively that's hard to say. I'm sure readers who liked the post-OMD era wouldn't consider it pointless. I mean, at the end of the day, a serialized story with no planned ending it sight kinda renders all the installments pointless beyond whether they taken on their own terms worked as a good story or not. (It also paved the way for a few things I did like -- the RYV series, for one, so I can't say that nothing good came out of it.)
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

iMan 42s

It doesn't fix the damage that OMD did. Regardless of how and when OMD is resolved, OMD is an absolute dumpster fire of a plot that completed its mission.

Spider-man will forever be tainted by this story. So no, it was't pointless, it completed it's mission. It unfortunately completed its mission.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorIronman View Post
    It doesn't fix the damage that OMD did. Regardless of how and when OMD is resolved, OMD is an absolute dumpster fire of a plot that completed its mission.

Spider-man will forever be tainted by this story. So no, it was't pointless, it completed it's mission. It unfortunately completed its mission.
    Hmmm, that wasn't really what I asked about. My question was if the point was to have a single Spider-Man and Spencer may very well undo that development was OMD thus a waste of time? But I understand why you feel as you do.
    Last edited by Celgress; 10-27-2018 at 08:02 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Hmmm, that wasn't really what I asked about. My question was if the point was to have a single Spider-Man and Spencer may very well undo that development was OMD thus a waste of time? But I understand why you feel as you do.
    I would probably say no in that case, just because they will have had a little over 10 years of single Spider-Man, which is a decently long time, so I guess now they may be all "Why not, let's see where this goes".

I have been one of those who reallllllly don't like the story, mainly because of its execution, but I do understand why it was done, and I don't think it resulted in the rest of the book being bad, there was still truly great stuff that came out within that time period, I just had a problem with exactly how they decided to do it.

No, I personally don't think it was a waste of time in my opinion. Status quo in comics change and revert back. It's just the nature of the beast and in the end they had them apart for a pretty long time. The only way it would be a waste of time is if they made it where they never broke up and everything since then never happened.
    Last edited by VGCinema; 10-27-2018 at 09:38 PM.

the ciiiiiiircle of liiiiife
    troo fan or death

Not pointless but I don't think it's worth it.

To me I feel like Peter and MJ are kind of like Lois and Clark, fans know they are the OTP and they've experienced that for several decades. So all the playing around with "will the won't they" and "here's Peter in another relationship, will it work out?" feels pointless in that regard. To me, I don't find any of that enjoyable. I truly enjoy Peter and MJ together as a couple so seeing writers play around with other relationships in the main canon feels... fake. To me that kind of story telling is not worthwhile of my investment. I'd rather read relationship drama on the relationship that I believe in, then read about it with pairings that feel "wrong" from the get go.

To me Peter with finding love other women than MJ should be reserved for alternate canon/what if type scenarios.

BANNED

Considering the Spider-Marriage never went away in other continuities...yeah, OMD was a waste of time, it failed as a mission statement.

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    I'm not sure as we did get some interesting storylines such as Superior Spider-Man out of the change which arguably would have been hard to pull off with either a relationship committed or married Spidey.
    Superior would have been infinitely better if the marriage were in play. MJ would have had more of a role in it than Carlie Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Considering the Spider-Marriage never went away in other continuities...yeah, OMD was a waste of time, it failed as a mission statement.
    Wasn't it only in two continuities?

One of them being fairly recent?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Flashback View Post
    Wasn't it only in two continuities?
    Three

Spider-Girl (prior to cancellation), which was still running from 2007 through to 2010
    Renew Your Vows, which kicked off with a pilot in 2014 and ran from 2016 to 2018
    Spider-Man newspaper strip, where aside from one story in 2009 where it was aping BND, has ran with it consistently for 31 years.

Doesn't really matter how many continuities it's been in, the fact is we've never went one year yet without a Spider-Marriage story in the decade OMD has been in operation, so it's been a waste of time. Peter and MJ are continuously depicted as endgame.

No, not pointless. For better or worse, it contributed to new possibilities and stories for the character at the time, so in that sense it definitely has a point. It won't be the last time they'll be split up, either.
    ♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪•*

♪ღ♪░NORAH░WINTERS░FOR░SPIDER-WAIFU░♪ღ♪

*•♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪•«

Quote Originally Posted by Vortex85 View Post
    Not pointless but I don't think it's worth it.

To me I feel like Peter and MJ are kind of like Lois and Clark, fans know they are the OTP and they've experienced that for several decades. So all the playing around with "will the won't they" and "here's Peter in another relationship, will it work out?" feels pointless in that regard. To me, I don't find any of that enjoyable. I truly enjoy Peter and MJ together as a couple so seeing writers play around with other relationships in the main canon feels... fake. To me that kind of story telling is not worthwhile of my investment. I'd rather read relationship drama on the relationship that I believe in, then read about it with pairings that feel "wrong" from the get go.

To me Peter with finding love other women than MJ should be reserved for alternate canon/what if type scenarios.
    It's a matter of preference. People will enjoy the "classic" pairing, while others will prefer Superman and Wonder Woman, or Clark and Lana Lang.
    I don't think one really eliminates the validity of the other, same as I don't feel MJ makes Gwen Stacy or Black Cat any less of a legitimate pairing for Spidey.
    ♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪•*

♪ღ♪░NORAH░WINTERS░FOR░SPIDER-WAIFU░♪ღ♪

*•♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪•«

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Zeitgeist View Post
    It's a matter of preference. People will enjoy the "classic" pairing, while others will prefer Superman and Wonder Woman, or Clark and Lana Lang.
    As a note of interest, since DC are teasing the return of N52 Superman at the moment, I suggested in a thread they should avoid pairing him with his default interest (Diana) and pair him up with Lana instead since Superdad is already taken up with Lois. A modern take on those wacky Superman Red/Superman Blue stories of the Silver Age which remedied the Clark/Lois/Lana triangle.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeitgeist View Post
    No, not pointless. For better or worse, it contributed to new possibilities and stories for the character at the time, so in that sense it definitely has a point. It won't be the last time they'll be split up, either.
    It might not be the last time they're split up, but people will probably be less annoyed next time, as they now have their hope back the splits are just forever temporary and not long-term (ten years for us were just a couple to them)...and they'll likely always be a couple somewhere, however niche it is.
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 10-28-2018 at 04:21 AM.