View Poll Results: Would you buy a New 52 Superman book if DC published it?

Voters
71. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

22 30.99%
  • No.

31 43.66%
  • Depends on the circumstances (explain in post)

18 25.35%
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    New 52 Superman best friend is Lana Lang, and the woman he loves is Diana Prince.
    Clark forgot he loved Lois, that was established when the super-merge occurred in Superman Reborn. His feelings for Diana were entirely artificial.

Even then, Diana was steadily moving away from Clark around the time of Truth and was even telling Steve they were just friends again by the time we got to Darksied War. They only got back together in "Final Days" out of pity because Clark was dying, and once Clark died, Diana made her feelings about him quite clear to Steve...easy love without a grasp of true romance. Clark may have "loved" her, but she did not think of him in the same longing terms

Continuing the story as it was with "Truth" would be problematic...DC have a very firm Anti-S/WW agenda going on internally now.

So give us a Clark/Lana relationship instead...there were loads of Elseworlds where the Lois/Clark/Lana triangle was precedent and it'd be nice to give Lana a fair shake for the first time in decades. Going with Diana again can prove just as "stale" as we've seen that pairing a million times in Elseworlds. There's nothing truly "fresh" about who you stick Clark with anyway.
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 10-28-2018 at 01:45 AM.

Then it wouldn't be a New 52 Superman. The SM/WW was purposely sabotaged by Johns and Tomasi anyway. It wouldn't be hard at all to reignite it.

I've no problem with a Superman ending with Lana, but then it just needs to be another Earth Superman, not a New 52 Superman.

BANNED

I've no problem with a Superman ending with Lana, but then it just needs to be another Earth Superman, not a New 52 Superman.
    What makes N52 Superman any less of who he is just because he's not banging Diana?

The most acclaimed phase of N52 Superman was largely with Morrison and he wasn't with Diana in that run.

Also, for traditional as well as movie synergy reasons, Diana is with Steve now. Like I said, DC have moved her on from being a Superman love interest and have even diminished her friendship with him in main canon to the point that they're just acquaintances. The closest we've gotten in recent months to "we love each other, but just as friends" is in the tie-in comic book to the Death of Superman animated movie, which frankly should have been EXACTLY how N52 Superman and Diana should have ended things.
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 10-28-2018 at 02:47 AM.

Last Son of Shaolin GreatKungLao's Avatar

Last New 52 book I liked was Unchained. If there will be a mix of that and Morrison's Action Comics, I might be interested.

I've softened from my previous position of New 52 Superman shouldn't exist at all but I am still 100% opposed to the idea of him existing alongside the Rebirth Superman. That concept is too confusing for new readers, it would just lead to more bickering between fans and the two Supermen are too fundamentally different to get along. If Didio is set on bringing New 52 Superman back in this way, put him in his own universe, not in the canon But obviously since New 52 Superman was never to my liking, I wouldn't buy it so long as there was a well written current canon Superman series available.

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    I firmly believe that Truth was designed to sabotage the New 52 Superman and turn people against him to pave the way for Superdad to take over. Didio seems to be trying to start from scratch with the T-shirt and jeans Superman. Now, whether or not they plan to do anything with him after that, I don't know. I'm assuming that if he does do anything with him, it will start from there.
    To quote Revenge of the Sith when Obi Wan confronted Anakin on Mustafar "You have done that yourself." New 52 Superman was already extremely polarising and had many detractors well before Truth was ever conceived. That was just the nail in the coffin for all the flaws and criticisms fans had with Nuperman.

New 52 Superman was my introduction to Superman, so sure. Even if the creative team wasn’t great I’d still give it a go, for a bit at least.

If it was an Elseworlds that just picked up right after Doomed, would be perfect.

Astonishing Member

I don't mind N52, coming back with some tweaking as long as its to establish his beginning as part of the Superman we have. Reborn did a hand wave amalgamation of past stories and left us scratching our heads as to what's canon and what's not. It wouldn't be such a terrible idea to reformulate this current Superman's past in mini formats. From what I remember when reading N52, Clark was in love with Lois but she was already in a relationship so his feelings were unrequited before he moved on with Diana. I feel like he and Lois would have found their way back together over time but with the nonsense written at the end, DC opted to drop a napalm on the whole thing instead of course correcting it with what worked.

Imo, if they ever decide to bring N52 Supes back, it won't be to pick up where they left off at last days with the direction they were on, particularly with regards to his relationships with his supporting cast.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

More Superman, the merrier. After Rebirth, alternatives to the main Superman were lacking (Injustice doesn't count ). If you didn't like Superman playing Pa Kent with superpowers, you didn't have anything else to read. Even if like Bendis' Superman more than "Superdad", I'd like to read other takes too.

Fantastic Member

Didn't we already go over this, and New 52 Superman was revealed to be the same being as Superdad, and they combined their histories to become one?

Was everybody not here when people used to argue which is the valid Superman? That was an actual nightmare and I'm glad Dan Jurgens solved it.

If people want more of New 52 Superman personality, they should ask DC to make a Rebirth Superman book that showed him when he was younger, kind of like Grant Morrison's Action Comics was, but a continuation of that. Because he is New 52 Superman, only older and with a wife/child so obviously can't be shown as impulsive as he was when 20-25 years.

If it's reversed, and they're two beings again, I not only would not buy New 52 Superman's book, I would drop all of Rebirth Superman's books, because it would be ridiculous.

Astonishing Member

I think it's counter productive to have 2 different Clark Kent-Supermen running around in the same time line. It's far easier and better to do a short arc from an earlier time, whether it's year one or something similar. Having two Supermen, two Clark Kents only serves to further the divide and splinter the fandom which will forever plague the superline. It will never rise above 50k platue and be competitive against the juggernaut that is batman and other characters with less divisive storytelling.

I'd pick it up in a heartbeat. Golden age Superman has always been my favorite Superman and it was refreshing to see this modern take. A sort of Paul Bunyan/Bruce Springteen figure going around righting wrongs on a down to earth human level. I could see his stories told in the form of a folk tale like Johnny Appleseed, Pecos Bill, Joe Magarac, John Henry and so forth. It's an interesting way to approach him.

Quote Originally Posted by GodofBoredom View Post
    Didn't we already go over this, and New 52 Superman was revealed to be the same being as Superdad, and they combined their histories to become one?

Was everybody not here when people used to argue which is the valid Superman? That was an actual nightmare and I'm glad Dan Jurgens solved it.

If people want more of New 52 Superman personality, they should ask DC to make a Rebirth Superman book that showed him when he was younger, kind of like Grant Morrison's Action Comics was, but a continuation of that. Because he is New 52 Superman, only older and with a wife/child so obviously can't be shown as impulsive as he was when 20-25 years.

If it's reversed, and they're two beings again, I not only would not buy New 52 Superman's book, I would drop all of Rebirth Superman's books, because it would be ridiculous.
    No. Superdad has never been, and will never be like the New 52 Superman. Hence why peoples are happy to see the later pop up in Sideways, if only for a bit.

Yup. As long as it is written the way Morrison and Pak did it. As long as they ignore everything Johns and Romita Jr did in their run with the character.
    "By force of will he turns his gaze upon the seething horror bellow us on the hillside.
    Yes, he feels the icy touch of fear, but he is not cowed. He is Superman!"

Fantastic Member

No. Superdad has never been, and will never be like the New 52 Superman. Hence why peoples are happy to see the later pop up in Sideways, if only for a bit.
    Well, you're wrong. New 52 Superman is Rebirth Superman when he was young, and that is clearly established in Superman Reborn. You can't have a 40-45 years old married dad act like he is the golden age Superman, thus my solution with having a separate book detailing his youth.

Similar to how Superman Confidential was, or Legends of the Dark Knight for Batman. Stories at different point in time.