Astonishing Member

Default The Star Wars (rough first draft of Star Wars: A New Hope)

Last night I finished reading all eight issues of a Dark Horse Comic called The Star Wars. The original concept is so different from the movie Star Wars: A New hope we knew and loved.

Luke Skywalker is an old man, a Jedi knight and general.

Annikin Starkiller was based on Luke Skywalker from A New Hope. He has a father who is part cyborg.

Jedi have a martial art called Jedi-Bendu.

Darth Vader is an imperial general instead of a Sith lord. He sometimes wears a helmet without a mask.

There is a Sith but he is a knight of the Sith, not a dark lord. His name was Prince Valorum. He wears a mask covering his jaw.

Chewbacca is a prince of his Wookie people.

Han Solo is a non-human being.

Artoo can talk.

Princess Leia has younger twin brothers.

Tarkin is a senator.

Governor Hoedack is based on Tarkin's character from A New Hope.

The Rough First draft is not bad. Does anyone like it?

Well, Artoo can talk.

Luke seems to understand him fine for some reason.

Edit
    : no wait, he uses a translator of some sort in ESB, in his x-wing. (when in road for Dagoba)

Still, Artoo talks to golden rod lol.
    Last edited by Starter Set; 10-28-2018 at 01:02 AM.

One of Dark Horse's last comics for Star Wars I think before the licence shifted to Marvel around 2014 (Although the Disney sale happened in 2012, the original EU was still allowed to linger a bit longer).

It's interesting how a lot of the leftover names and ideas wound up in the prequels as well. Valorum of course is the name of the chancellor Palpatine replaces (played briefly by Terrance Stamp). The term "Padawan" as well.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Fantastic Member

It was interesting to see how all these concepts started out, but I can't say I enjoyed it.

Astonishing Member

Stormtroopers also use lightsabers.

Space Fortress, that looks like Death Star, doesn't have the planet-destroying capability.

The artwork is good, but the artistic depiction of space battles are not too great.

I think the Stormtroopers with sabers might've inspired the sequel trilogy stormtroopers who use more melee weapons.

I wonder if that's because the First Order might've at one point figured they'd go up against Jedi knights, and hence like some of the battle droids in the PT developed weapons that would be more effective at blocking sabers. Sort of my head canon on that.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    I think the Stormtroopers with sabers might've inspired the sequel trilogy stormtroopers who use more melee weapons.

I wonder if that's because the First Order might've at one point figured they'd go up against Jedi knights, and hence like some of the battle droids in the PT developed weapons that would be more effective at blocking sabers. Sort of my head canon on that.
    Yeah, stormtroopers weren't seen using melee weapons in the original trilogy but in the sequel trilogy.

Maybe Palpatine was not too worried that stormtroopers are relying too much on their firearms, but Snoke was worried. Does that make Snoke smarter than Palpatine?

Palpatine probably wasn't too worried about too much new Jedi popping up for most of his reign, and the rebels for the most part just used blasters like his troopers; Snoke I think probably knew that it was least a possiblity and figured maybe get some weapons that can't be countered as easily by lightsabers (and we saw Luke do several times in ROTJ during the sail barge battle and also with the speeder bike).

Ironically, the thing that brings down the "Traitor!" Stormtrooper who holds his own against Finn's saber (although to be fair Finn isn't exactly well trained in it's use) is Han's blaster.

Astonishing Member

Yes, that makes practical sense.

I figured Snoke was no more smart than Palpatine. Both of them were betrayed and killed by their own apprentices whom they trusted.