Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Superman should have more supporting characters

This is an area that is seriously lacking. Sure the Daily Planet, but is that all there is? What about Cadmus? New Genesis? Ect? I think writers need to expand and add more supporting characters for Superman. Lobdell created Dr. Veritas and Pak created Baka. But there should be more.

Spectacular Member

I remember when Superman had a lot of supporting characters, the books became more about them and less about Superman. So more is not better.

Extraordinary Member

People really cared about Maggie Sawyer and Detective Turpin and Perry White back then.

Having more characters to care about in a book in generally a good thing.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    This is an area that is seriously lacking. Sure the Daily Planet, but is that all there is? What about Cadmus? New Genesis? Ect? I think writers need to expand and add more supporting characters for Superman. Lobdell created Dr. Veritas and Pak created Baka. But there should be more.
    I totally agree, but would like the existing ones more clearly defined first. We rarely see them currently (I know Johns is out to fix this), and I feel some work is needed before they are showing their full potential as supporting characters.

Lois has been the greatest disappointment to me. Snyder has been using her well, but she's been a bit of a jerk in some of the other books. I really don't get that she and Clark are best friends in this universe, even though this has been stated.

Lana's pretty much there thanks to Pak.

I like Dr. Veritas a lot. I'm hoping some future writer doesn't just make her a villain. I'd like to see Dan Turpin and Emil Hamilton back (as friend or foe).

Astonishing Member

I don't agree.

Superman has a great supporting cast already. They just need to be utilized.

When is the last time we got a real, true blue Jimmy Olsen story intertwining with a Superman story (ie, as a subplot)? Or a Lois story (no, her one shot does not count)? When is the last time Perry White was anything other than a crotchety, one dimensional boss with a heart of gold? Lombard, Cat Grant,

Right now, the only supporting player actually getting exploration in the books is Lana Lang. And it's beautiful. Because that is how a supporting character is supposed to work; they are to be developed in CONJUNCTION with the main character, to the purpose of showing some element OF that main character, all while evolving into their own thing (perhaps, in time, worthy of their own book or mini).

That's been missing for a long time. We've occasionally had a Lois Lane story, or a Jimmy Olsen story, but they've been self consciously divested from the main Superman story. It's the synergy that causes them to feel vital, makes them relevant, and will ultimately plug readers into these characters and stories. I understand the desire for, say, Lois Lane to get her own series, but it's unlikely to survive without a strong lead in from franchise's title character, and not using say Jimmy Olsen to explore some element of Superman/Clark is a waste of a strong, resonant character who was designed for that very purpose.

Making them a part of the greater stories of their main character doesn't mean making them subservient. Give them strong subplots that eventually collide with your primary narrative, then let us see what happens.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Deniz Camp View Post
    I don't agree.

When is the last time we got a real, true blue Jimmy Olsen story intertwining with a Superman story (ie, as a subplot)? Or a Lois story (no, her one shot does not count)? When is the last time Perry White was anything other than a crotchety, one dimensional boss with a heart of gold? Lombard, Cat Grant,

Right now, the only supporting player actually getting exploration in the books is Lana Lang. And it's beautiful. Because that is how a supporting character is supposed to work; they are to be developed in CONJUNCTION with the main character, to the purpose of showing some element OF that main character, all while evolving into their own thing (perhaps, in time, worthy of their own book or mini).

That's been missing for a long time. We've occasionally had a Lois Lane story, or a Jimmy Olsen story, but they've been self consciously divested from the main Superman story. It's the synergy that causes them to feel vital, makes them relevant, and will ultimately plug readers into these characters and stories. I understand the desire for, say, Lois Lane to get her own series, but it's unlikely to survive without a strong lead in from franchise's title character, and not using say Jimmy Olsen to explore some element of Superman/Clark is a waste of a strong, resonant character who was designed for that very purpose.

Making them a part of the greater stories of their main character doesn't mean making them subservient. Give them strong subplots that eventually collide with your primary narrative, then let us see what happens.
    I totally agree with this. I think its good to create more supporting characters, but I think the main supporting characters are overdued for some exploration. And no, I'm not talking about some lame Jimmy Olsen story that tried to chase after a story and have superman saving him. Neither am I talking about Lois trying to figure out Superman's identity, those are overplayed and worthless. How about some exploration into Jimmy/Lois/Perry's life and have a villain or enemy connected to them or their family. Maybe a kidnapping story featuring Jimmy's sister and how Jimmy and Superman worked together (not just have Jimmy press the superman save me watch) and explore some of that stuff.
    Perhaps even making Lois' boyfriend a super villain? Also bring back some of the villains and supporting characters and have 'em interact with each other. I like Lobdell's writing where he creates lots of subplots and expanded on that. Some of that can get overly messy but when written well like Superboy, I thought its actually pretty interesting.

Astonishing Member

I don't agree.

I have to agree with this. Why introduce more supporting cast if the current members are barely used. In fact I'd prefer a moratorium on adding to the supporting cast so that writers will explore what is already there.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Clark View Post
    I have to agree with this. Why introduce more supporting cast if the current members are barely used. In fact I'd prefer a moratorium on adding to the supporting cast so that writers will explore what is already there.
    thats a little extreme, they should be creating stories that focuses on the supporting cast, but I think introducing new supporting cast is also equally important.

Astonishing Member

I'm against blanket edicts of that sort; I think it goes against the whole point of the creative impulse. But actively encouraging a richer exploration of the already existing supporting characters wherever possible would definitely be nice.

What is interesting is that it's not that the characters haven't, historically, been developed. It's that, when they are developed, it's very often as solo characters, rather than supporting characters. There's this sort of self conscious notion that it somehow demeans these characters to serve Superman, to serve their original purpose. But that need not be true; a tool is no diminished for its use, and there are ways of giving a character agency in the story without making them the star of it. Pak is doing so right now with Lana Lang. To force solo stories upon these characters that weren't designed for it isn't necessarily wrong headed, but it does strike me as a little tone deaf, and it's certainly only using them for only half their value, in my opinion.

Jimmy, in particular, I think is one of the potentially best characters around. I'd love to see something more vital done there.

I'd rather they make the existing supporting cast more interesting before adding new characters.

Astonishing Member

I'm against blanket edicts of that sort; I think it goes against the whole point of the creative impulse. But actively encouraging a richer exploration of the already existing supporting characters wherever possible would definitely be nice.

What is interesting is that it's not that the characters haven't, historically, been developed. It's that, when they are developed, it's very often as solo characters, rather than supporting characters. There's this sort of self conscious notion that it somehow demeans these characters to serve Superman, to serve their original purpose. But that need not be true; a tool is no diminished for its use, and there are ways of giving a character agency in the story without making them the star of it. Pak is doing so right now with Lana Lang. To force solo stories upon these characters that weren't designed for it isn't necessarily wrong headed, but it does strike me as a little tone deaf, and it's certainly only using them for only half their value, in my opinion.

Jimmy, in particular, I think is one of the potentially best characters around. I'd love to see something more vital done there.
    Agree again on this. I think Lois has been fleshed out plenty as a character, I would like to see Jimmy get the spotlight. I was actually really excited when Jimmy Palmiotti said he was gonna make Jimmy this awesome, cool war photographer that just came back from Afghanistan in ame comi girls, but nothing really happened with him. I think revamping Jimmy would be pretty awesome as well.

Jenny Olsen should be introduced, then maybe Jimmy and his sister can go on some fun adventures that Superman ends up saving them from... of course at that point we might as well go back to the 60's since that style of story telling doesn't work anymore :/

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by nightrider View Post
    thats a little extreme, they should be creating stories that focuses on the supporting cast, but I think introducing new supporting cast is also equally important.
    My problem with introducing new characters is that because if the constant overturn in creative teams you get this backlog of abandoned pet characters. I wasn't advocating no new characters ever, but rather that for the first few story arcs the creative team be forced to deal with what is there rather than trying to add to it. If they want a new staffer at the Planet make them prove there is a reason not to use Lombard or Troupe in the role. I don't want New 52 characters joining Keith White and Rucka's dead-end police reporters in Limbo.

Astonishing Member

I know what you mean.

Not a lot of superheroes give us such a complete look at the "office relationships" and "day job working environment" and for that I'm glad.

But who is the mayor of Metropolis? Who is the police commissioner? Who is the D.A.? Local celebrities? Arts community? Some of the non-Luthor CEOs in the other penthouses Supes is flying past? Scientists? Private eyes? Rival journalists? The early bits of Morrison's Action actually did lay some of that groundwork.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

I'm wary of adding more supporting cast. I'd say mine the past and RE-INTRODUCE supporting cast (check out the "Private Live of Clark Kent" series among others) rather than create new ones from scratch (a la Dr. Veritas). I miss Emil Hamilton in a MAJOR way (and haven't seen hide nor hair of him since the reboot).