View Poll Results: Who's your favorite Robin? (Robins?)

Voters
279. You may not vote on this poll
  • Golden Age Dick Grayson (pre-CoIE Earth-2 / became adult Robin with JSA)

9 3.23%
  • Dick Grayson (later Nightwing / Silver Age +)

72 25.81%
  • young Bruce Wayne (Detective Comics #226, December 1955)

0 0%
  • Bruce Wayne, Jr. (Batman #131 and others, 1960-1964)

0 0%
  • Jason Todd (later Red Hood / 1983 +)

32 11.47%
  • Carrie Kelley (Frank Miller's future Robin, 1986 +)

2 0.72%
  • Tim Drake (later Red Robin / 1989 +)

77 27.60%
  • robotic "Toy Wonder" (from DC One Million / 1998)

0 0%
  • Stephanie Brown (originally Spoiler, also Batgirl / became Robin in 2004)

11 3.94%
  • Damian Wayne (2006 +)

70 25.09%
  • Helena Wayne (New52 Earth 2 version, later Huntress / 2012 +)

1 0.36%
  • Duke Thomas (Robin from Futures End / 2014)

1 0.36%
  • Matt McGinnis (younger brother of Terry McGinnis in Batman Beyond / 2018 +)

1 0.36%
  • We Are Robin gang (Duke Thomas, Riko, Dre, Isabella, Daxton, Troy, etc. / 2015-2016)

3 1.08%
Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Fergus View Post
    Damian the Cad destroyed the Mythos so when they had a choice DC erased his time as Robin and in Rebirth doubled down even as they make him back up Robin with no history.

Hurt fans need to stop the destroyed the mythos bullshit. Because it's exactly that. Bullshit. You don'y have to like the character but cut out the bull.
    Damian brought Robin back to what it was always about. A mantle created to help a young boy who had no one find positive direction in life. That is why the mantle was created. That's the reason for the 1st Robin. That is what made Robin special.

That changed with the Third Robin then Robin became a solo agent.
    Robin doesn't need Batman. Synder might have written that but it did not start with Synder. Damian brought Robin back to it's original purpose.

@uchihafanboy get some sleep. Fictional characters aren't worth the dark circles. Hating a fictional character is understandable losing sleep over them is harder to understand.

Damian works with Bruce sure it's not like Dick and Damian but to be fair nothing is. Damian works great with Bruce. That's why they have a successful and acclaimed book called Batman and Robin. And why we see so many books that feature them working together from Batman Beyond to Batman/Turtles to Superman etc.

Don't say can't do it when we have actual evidence to the contrary mate. He can, He did and still continues to do so.

Whether working with BatBruce or DickBat Batman and Robin will never die.
    Bullshit to you, facts to me. I see Robin as working with Batman. They were the Dynamic Duo, and Batman also helped Tim, Jason(my boy) and finally Dick. You are right, it is a mantle to help young boys who are down on life. But Damian poisons it by being Batman's son and bringing nothing else to the table. All of the other boys needed Batman to help them get through life, but since Damian is garbage he needs Dick to be his father figure in life. He's something less than Robin in that sense.

Also the I'm glad you brought up the solo agent thing, Timothy Jackson Drake was the first Robin to hold a title(a very good at that, the Steph), but he only became a solo agent when Batman died. He was forced down that path, it was very different with Damian. He couldn't become Robin under Bruce because he had no chemistry. He had to become Robin underneath another Robin. He became a solo agent, well because he and is dad don't get along. And that's what I dislike the most, he didn't become a solo agent because he had to be like his brothers, instead he became one because he can't work with Bruce. Destroying the very meaning of the Dynamic Duo.

I find that book to be bullshit, Damian got away with far to many things that no other Robin ever would of.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    The problem isn't the character: it's bad writing.
    Damian can be a great character when written well. Before the New52, Damian had grown from a disgusting pustule to a likeable character through many of his interactions with characters like Dick, Steph, and Kara (Supergirl) who helped soften his rougher tendencies.
    But then, Tomasi went back to his worse, annoying traits for the New52, and much of his growth into a semi-likable character went up in smoke.
    (And now Tomasi is helming Detective Comics . . . )
    No, it's the character. I hated Damian before the N52 and I will hated him well afterword. The thing is, I always give characters a chance. Always, no matter who it is, and I give Damian a chance and I realized not only do I not like him as a character, but I don't like him as a person. I've seen good writing with Damian and I still could not stand him. He's just cancer, that's all he is, that's all he will ever be.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 12-01-2018 at 10:05 AM.

Can we just get back to the discussion at hand about who's your favorite Robin without trying to denigrate others who have worn the mantle / arguing with other people who voice their views?

Thank you.

Keep it about the comics/characters, folks. Do not be rude, insulting, condescending, or disrespectful toward each other. If you can't be civil don't post.
    Conn Seanery
    CBR Forums Administrator ~ Ron Swansonite ~ Brock Samson will show us the way
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

"Hnh. Could Bowie have been a mutant?" ~Dr. Doom (Hellfire Gala 2022)

Extraordinary Member CPSparkles's Avatar

Ahhh if cancer was a fraction as entertaining as Damian Wayne this world would be a far better place.

Batman helped Dick, Jason and Damian while Tim helped Batman.

Dick picked Robin which I thought was special because he created the mantle however Bruce then complimented the decision and took Damian on. I think Damian works well with both Batmen. Tomasi's B&R much like his superman was more about them as family men/fathers.

The title was about Batman and the son he just met getting to know each other and figuring out their relationship. I feel people overlook this. the focus wasn't on the crimes so much but on the relationship and how they adapt. Under other writers [eg Tynion, Priest] who were just writing a regular B&R working together Bruce and Damian worked very well. Just like Superman is a different beast in non Tomasi takes.

Honestly since Robins moved into the Titan tower it's been more like Weekend Dynamic Duo. Robin is well known for working with Batman but Robins have been dong their own thing for decades now and Batman has a cave full of partners.

Personally I voted for Jason. Yeah as Robin, not just because he becomes a lot more successful as Red Hood. I like all the robins to varying degrees, but I feel like Jason gets the edge because he’s got the only origin I’m particularly fond of, imo. Dick’s is too derivative of Bruce’s. As for Tim, I just don’t like Tim’s origin, a kid deducing Batman’s secret and getting the job for it just doesn’t work for me. Damian’s origin is ok but way too over the top to take seriously, speficcally whoever we hear stuff like how he earned 5 black belts and learned 8 languages before he was 4 or whatever. But I like Jason’s post crisis origin as a street kid Batman saw potential. I like the others either for their personalities or the stories they’re in. But Jason is the only one I like both as a character and his backstory.

Quote Originally Posted by OpaqueGiraffe17 View Post
    Personally I voted for Jason. Yeah as Robin, not just because he becomes a lot more successful as Red Hood. I like all the robins to varying degrees, but I feel like Jason gets the edge because he’s got the only origin I’m particularly fond of, imo. Dick’s is too derivative of Bruce’s. As for Tim, I just don’t like Tim’s origin, a kid deducing Batman’s secret and getting the job for it just doesn’t work for me. Damian’s origin is ok but way too over the top to take seriously, speficcally whoever we hear stuff like how he earned 5 black belts and learned 8 languages before he was 4 or whatever. But I like Jason’s post crisis origin as a street kid Batman saw potential. I like the others either for their personalities or the stories they’re in. But Jason is the only one I like both as a character and his backstory.
    Not goanna lie, Jason's path leading up to him becoming Robin was definitely my favorite origin out of the birds, even if Jason's time in the mantel was my least favorite. Cut far too short to rank over the others.

Oh I was gonna say the same
    I mean for the sake of the poll my vote goes for Jason regardless since he was my first Robin, and I loved him in the role, but I also think his post crisis origin story is the best and fits snugly within the Bat mythos, blending into Bruces narrative/story very naturally.

Astonishing Member

I really like all the Robins.

However, I start to read comics with Damian as Robin and he's one of my favorite characters, so he has my vote.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oasis1313 View Post
    I always felt like Steph got a raw deal in "War Games." She was just cannon fodder, and DC still hasn't made it up to her and her fans.
    I agree that Steph got the rawest of deals in War Games. But DC did give her a two-year solo and fairly high profile guest stars in some premium series like Bruce Wayne: The Road Home and Batman Incoporated.

Of course, they immediately tried to erase her completely afterwards, so it does take away a lot of that good will, but I think DC did some good to her.

Sometimes I think it's better to forget about Steph's stint as Robin and in War Games just because that seems to feature Batman as a super-dick and a bit beyond what his character should be.
    (I haven't read any of those stories myself, but from what I have seen / heard, despite the fact that Steph may have had a good spotlight on her, it just seems to be another low-point for the character of Batman.)
    I will never forget! (I say as I have Robin #126 on my wall at work in front of me right now. ) I actually think Steph got a boost from War Games, both because she was Robin, and because the reaction against her death was so strong.

It's definitely a low point for Bruce, though. But I would recommend Detective Comics 796, since it's a really good Batman and Robin story, a one shot, so it doesn't need anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Fergus View Post
    So one person voted for Steph because they didn't feel Damian needed the vote
    I'm really curious about the Damian fan who voted for Steph. This amuses me. I must meet this person!

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Not even Steph thought that of him.

Never try and split up the bounce buddies!
    This issue literally is the main reason why I like Damian. Dini did good work shoring up afterwards, but Batgirl #17 is a masterwork.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Extraordinary Member CPSparkles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post

I'm really curious about the Damian fan who voted for Steph. This amuses me. I must meet this person!

I believe it was adrikito. looking at the his appreciation thread I think a lot of Damian fans have a soft spot for Steph

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    Sometimes I think it's better to forget about Steph's stint as Robin and in War Games just because that seems to feature Batman as a super-dick and a bit beyond what his character should be.
    (I haven't read any of those stories myself, but from what I have seen / heard, despite the fact that Steph may have had a good spotlight on her, it just seems to be another low-point for the character of Batman.)
    I will never forget! (I say as I have Robin #126 on my wall at work in front of me right now. ) I actually think Steph got a boost from War Games, both because she was Robin, and because the reaction against her death was so strong.

It's definitely a low point for Bruce, though. But I would recommend Detective Comics 796, since it's a really good Batman and Robin story, a one shot, so it doesn't need anything else.
    By the way, my "it's better to forget Steph's stint as Robin and in War Games" comment applies more towards trying to return it to continuity. It would be better working off what's been established for the character as Spoiler since her return in Batman Eternal and moving on from that (but without constantly side-lining her, either).

it has always been Jason
    I'm the moonshield

It's been a couple of months since I last updated the numbers here:
    * Tim Drake (later Red Robin / 1989 +) = 43 votes (+ 2)
    * Dick Grayson (Nightwing/Silver Age +) = 40 votes (+ 8)
    * Damian Wayne (2006 +) = 38 votes (+ 4)
    * Jason Todd (later Red Hood / 1983 +) = 20 votes (+ 3)
    * Stephanie Brown (orig. Spoiler/became Robin in 2004) = 5 votes (+ 1)

Fantastic Member

For me i think it's because Jason's origins is to close too Bruce that he doesn't work as Robin. There's that certain selfish emotional attraction Bruce has for Jason that he has for Harvey Dent, for Selina, for everyone of his enemies, all Gotham borne and turned rouge. It made Bruce compassionate but he tends to dwell in personal feelings, and jason is bruce's son in that he's too much like him in that regards. That can't be good fpr Batman. Jason is one of thousands of lost but brave and good kids he met in Gotham everyday, he shouldnt have been dragged into Batman's work. He was made Robin not because BATMAN and ROBIN but because Bruce missed Dick and want to fill that hole. Up until he died, he helped Batman because he's his dad not Batman and not because he even understood what Robin is. That's where Bruce's failure lies. Bruce has created himself another enemy since the moment he let his son wear that suit (without Dick's approval), and isnt Jason's fault.

And because others are too far from Bruce that they can help Bruce as partners. Robin Dick Grayson expands Bruce Wayne the avenger's world to anything other than Gotham's scum and make him Batman, the hero for everyone. Tim did the same in that he distracted Bruce from falling into that hole by expanding the Bat family to members who comes from all walks of life. Jason doesn't help Batman's cause. Hee works best as Bruce Wayne's son, not Robin.
    Last edited by nhienphan2808; 01-21-2019 at 09:39 PM.

Mighty Member

Technically, Dick is winning because, first, there is two of him. And second, he is Dick Grayson. No explanation needed.