View Poll Results: Who's your favorite Robin? (Robins?)

Voters
279. You may not vote on this poll
  • Golden Age Dick Grayson (pre-CoIE Earth-2 / became adult Robin with JSA)

9 3.23%
  • Dick Grayson (later Nightwing / Silver Age +)

72 25.81%
  • young Bruce Wayne (Detective Comics #226, December 1955)

0 0%
  • Bruce Wayne, Jr. (Batman #131 and others, 1960-1964)

0 0%
  • Jason Todd (later Red Hood / 1983 +)

32 11.47%
  • Carrie Kelley (Frank Miller's future Robin, 1986 +)

2 0.72%
  • Tim Drake (later Red Robin / 1989 +)

77 27.60%
  • robotic "Toy Wonder" (from DC One Million / 1998)

0 0%
  • Stephanie Brown (originally Spoiler, also Batgirl / became Robin in 2004)

11 3.94%
  • Damian Wayne (2006 +)

70 25.09%
  • Helena Wayne (New52 Earth 2 version, later Huntress / 2012 +)

1 0.36%
  • Duke Thomas (Robin from Futures End / 2014)

1 0.36%
  • Matt McGinnis (younger brother of Terry McGinnis in Batman Beyond / 2018 +)

1 0.36%
  • We Are Robin gang (Duke Thomas, Riko, Dre, Isabella, Daxton, Troy, etc. / 2015-2016)

3 1.08%
Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Zaresh View Post
    My grandma is 84. She is in awe of all new things that come out, but always tries to adapt to these changes. And I am in awe of all the new things she did have to learn and get used to in her whole life so far, specially when I remember that as a kid, she had to go through our post-war country period (which isolated us for a while until almost the 60's). I get vertigo just thinking about it, specially with the last 25 years. And I'm so young and wonder how much I'll have to adapt to. It gives me perspective, and makes me love her more.
    Also, your grandmother's generation lived through the Great Depression and World War II. I remember my mother trying to explain the Depression: "All of a sudden, there wasn't any money." And I'd wonder if it all powderized or burned or something because--how did it disappear? Weren't banks full of it?

Extraordinary Member CPSparkles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mataza View Post
    I wonder how much this has to do with the fact that YJ is coming back.
    Robin Tim holds a special place in the heart of lots of fans. Unsure how much YJ has to do with it because as much as I see the wonder line being talked about here there's very little talk about Tim in those discussions.

Quote Originally Posted by oasis1313 View Post
    Also, your grandmother's generation lived through the Great Depression and World War II. I remember my mother trying to explain the Depression: "All of a sudden, there wasn't any money." And I'd wonder if it all powderized or burned or something because--how did it disappear? Weren't banks full of it?
    (Shameless offtopic post forward, about Spanish History. So if you people are not interested, you can skip)

Well, to be honest, here in Spain, we didn't get to deal with the WWII a lot. We had our own Civil War from 1936 to 1939 do deal with, and my family lives in a region that was already hit by military actions in 1934 (we are some rebels, so to speak). The Depression was already an issue when she could notice it. But even so, the struggles that the post-war brought to her were somehow even worse. There was no food, like almost at all, for many people. Things were getting better by the early 50's when americans started talks and to make business with Franco's dictatorship, fortunately. They brought to our market from basic food like salt and milk, to daily life technology like washing machines. And by 1956-58. We started to improve our industry and open our national inner market to the worldwide market.

It probably was similar to what your mother had to live through, though. I think the Great Depession hit very hard your national market and production. You didn't get to deal with inland war, but even so, you lost men as working population, families lost fathers, sons and brothers... Kind of similar. Tough stuff to live through. And lots and lots of changes.
    Last edited by Zaresh; 11-23-2018 at 03:53 AM.

(Shameless offtopic post forward, about Spanish History. So if you people are not interested, you can skip)
    I noticed that your location is listed as "Spain", so I realized that when you said
    "as a kid, she had to go through our post-war country period (which isolated us for a while until almost the 60's)"
    you were talking about things like the Spanish Civil War and its aftermath.
    (Granted, my knowledge of European History is quite limited, but there are a few things I've at least heard about.)

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    I noticed that your location is listed as "Spain", so I realized that when you said
    "as a kid, she had to go through our post-war country period (which isolated us for a while until almost the 60's)"
    (Granted, my knowledge of European History is quite limited, but there are a few things I've at least heard about.)
    Oh, it's cool finding people who know bits from the history of my country. Well, not cool but; I mean, the war was an awful event (as was the very nasty period that followed), but finding people that know about it outside of here and our neightboring countries sort of makes me, I don't know, not happy but thrilled? Something like that .

Oh, it's cool finding people who know bits from the history of my country. Well, not cool but; I mean, the war was an awful event (as was the very nasty period that followed), but finding people that know about it outside of here and our neightboring countries sort of makes me, I don't know, not happy but thrilled? Something like that .
    Well, I'm also a bit on the older side (since my Mother is a few years older than you said your grandma is, I might be closer in age to your parents?), so there wasn't as much past history for me to learn when I was a kid in school.

Well, I'm also a bit on the older side (since my Mother is a few years older than you said your grandma is, I might be closer in age to your parents?), so there wasn't as much past history for me to learn when I was a kid in school.
    XDDD

My mother is 55, just about exactly 20 years older than myself (and my father is 58). I guess than yeah, you all got to have to learn a very slightly shorter version of Humankind's History. Not fair! (or not, I mean, I'm supposedly a historian. Learning about history comes with the job? Tsk tsk. Why I like this kind of things?)

My mother is 55, just about exactly 20 years older than myself (and my father is 58).
    I'm between their ages (chronologically), but closer in age to your father.
    My older sister was a history major in college. She later went and got a Masters degree in library sciences and works as a reference librarian in New Hampshire these days.

I'm between their ages (chronologically), but closer in age to your father.
    My older sister was a history major in college. She later went and got a Masters degree in library sciences and works as a reference librarian in New Hampshire these days.
    Heh, that's funny! My first college (Bachelor's?) degree (3 years) was in Librarianship and Information science. My second one (5 years) was in History. Most people I know do as your sister, though: first History, then a specialized Master's degree; or the 3 years degree I did (when it was still 3 and not 4 years like nowadays), but those were fewer.

After all this time, I'm still hoping for permanent work as a librarian at some point in my future. But with how difficult it is getting a job post here, I ended going for a Master's degree in Education as well, and trying to apply for a job as a high school teacher. Still jobless, but not giving up on even my first intention yet.
    Last edited by Zaresh; 11-23-2018 at 06:13 PM.

BANNED

I really loved the story of the Siege of the Alcazar. Colonel Muscardo is one of our heroes. If we ever get to Spain, we'll go inland so we can visit it.

I really loved the story of the Siege of the Alcazar. Colonel Muscardo is one of our heroes. If we ever get to Spain, we'll go inland so we can visit it.
    Hmm, not really big in military history myself, but, if Moscardo is the one I think, with him being of the "nacionales" (Franco's risen forces), I don't know what you're going to find there these days, to be honest. There is a current law that is banishing most of Franco's memorabilia from our cities' decorations. If there is something, it probably will be related to his role in the Spanish Olympic Committee, I guess. On the other hand, Toledo is a beautiful city, a city with a history that you can track back to the most early Middle Ages, with a rich history as a multicultural node, a cultural city to its core, that was in no small degree responsible for the early development of our spanish language, and the way many of the ancient classics (Plato, etc.) were reintroduced in Europe, thanks to the translators in there. Toledo (medieval, old town Toledo) is often called "The city of the three cultures", because between the last part of the High Middle Ages and the early part of the Late Middle Ages, jews, muslims and christians all lived there in more or less peaceful ways. As a medievalist, I would like to visit that place, to be honest. So in the case you go there, and don't find something related to Moscardo, at least you will be for a treat in any case, because the place is a marvel.
    Last edited by Zaresh; 11-23-2018 at 07:33 PM. Reason: threat and treat are NOT the same! Geez, sometimes I don't read what I write

Heh, that's funny! My first college (Bachelor's?) degree (3 years) was in Librarianship and Information science. My second one (5 years) was in History. Most people I know do as your sister, though: first History, then a specialized Master's degree; or the 3 years degree I did (when it was still 3 and not 4 years like nowadays), but those were fewer.

After all this time, I'm still hoping for permanent work as a librarian at some point in my future. But with how difficult it is getting a job post here, I ended going for a Master's degree in Education as well, and trying to apply for a job as a high school teacher. Still jobless, but not giving up on even my first intention yet.
    Between her history degree and her going back for the masters in library sciences, my sister did a stint in the U.S. Navy. And while she didn't work as a teacher, I spent about eight years as a substitute teacher (though at younger levels than high school).

Good luck with the job searching.

Between her history degree and her going back for the masters in library sciences, my sister did a stint in the U.S. Navy. And while she didn't work as a teacher, I spent about eight years as a substitute teacher (though at younger levels than high school).

Good luck with the job searching.
    Thanks!

Now back to the topic. Wow, Tim is taking the lead for sure now. And it seems that Dick is catching with Damian. With how the results were two weeks ago, this is really a surprising turn of events.

BANNED

Hmm, not really big in military history myself, but, if Moscardo is the one I think, with him being of the "nacionales" (Franco's risen forces), I don't know what you're going to find there these days, to be honest. There is a current law that is banishing most of Franco's memorabilia from our cities' decorations. If there is something, it probably will be related to his role in the Spanish Olympic Committee, I guess. On the other hand, Toledo is a beautiful city, a city with a history that you can track back to the most early Middle Ages, with a rich history as a multicultural node, a cultural city to its core, that was in no small degree responsible for the early development of our spanish language, and the way many of the ancient classics (Plato, etc.) were reintroduced in Europe, thanks to the translators in there. Toledo (medieval, old town Toledo) is often called "The city of the three cultures", because between the last part of the High Middle Ages and the early part of the Late Middle Ages, jews, muslims and christians all lived there in more or less peaceful ways. As a medievalist, I would like to visit that place, to be honest. So in the case you go there, and don't find something related to Moscardo, at least you will be for a treat in any case, because the place is a marvel.
    The last I heard, the Alcazar had been restored; however, Colonel Moscardo's office was left in the Shot-To-Hell condition it had been left in. I will be in Spain in a couple of years on a cruise, but I think it just stops at Barcelona and Malaga.

Best wishes on the job hunt, Zaresh!

The last I heard, the Alcazar had been restored; however, Colonel Moscardo's office was left in the Shot-To-Hell condition it had been left in. I will be in Spain in a couple of years on a cruise, but I think it just stops at Barcelona and Malaga.

Best wishes on the job hunt, Zaresh!
    Your best chance would be if it stops in Málaga for two days. Toledo is in the actual center of the whole country, but Barcelona doesn't have a straight path to Madrid (also in the center) by car or train; so Málaga is a better candidate. Still, it would be a trip of 4-5 hours by train or car. Also, from Málaga, you can go visit Córdoba, another jewel as historical sites go that is still kind of cheap despite being well known (1 hour trip from Málaga to the north, in the way to Toledo, actually, I think), and Granada (1 hour and a half or 2 hours, from Málaga, to the east), which, besides being a world wide known beauty and also a city full of history, is also a place tied to the Civil War itself, if that's of your interest.

And once again, thanks!

(And sorry for all these offtopics)
    Last edited by Zaresh; 11-23-2018 at 10:00 PM.