View Poll Results: Who's your favorite Robin? (Robins?)

Voters
279. You may not vote on this poll
  • Golden Age Dick Grayson (pre-CoIE Earth-2 / became adult Robin with JSA)

9 3.23%
  • Dick Grayson (later Nightwing / Silver Age +)

72 25.81%
  • young Bruce Wayne (Detective Comics #226, December 1955)

0 0%
  • Bruce Wayne, Jr. (Batman #131 and others, 1960-1964)

0 0%
  • Jason Todd (later Red Hood / 1983 +)

32 11.47%
  • Carrie Kelley (Frank Miller's future Robin, 1986 +)

2 0.72%
  • Tim Drake (later Red Robin / 1989 +)

77 27.60%
  • robotic "Toy Wonder" (from DC One Million / 1998)

0 0%
  • Stephanie Brown (originally Spoiler, also Batgirl / became Robin in 2004)

11 3.94%
  • Damian Wayne (2006 +)

70 25.09%
  • Helena Wayne (New52 Earth 2 version, later Huntress / 2012 +)

1 0.36%
  • Duke Thomas (Robin from Futures End / 2014)

1 0.36%
  • Matt McGinnis (younger brother of Terry McGinnis in Batman Beyond / 2018 +)

1 0.36%
  • We Are Robin gang (Duke Thomas, Riko, Dre, Isabella, Daxton, Troy, etc. / 2015-2016)

3 1.08%
Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Zaresh View Post
    Being a fanfave has little to do with how good and perfect as a Robin archetype one happen to be. It has way more to do with who you grow up reading and who you enjoy their stories the most. Or even who you sympathize most because they're either relatable or just sympathetic because their circumstances and struggles (the underdog effect is an example).

That being said, in Dick's case, he's a charming character, and the average reader, the one who reads a few books here and there, probably has him as a fave because he's the classic Robin. Or so I would expect.
    Where did I say it was? Being a fan favourite simply means being popular.
    Feeling nostalgic about a character isn't the same as being a fan Favourite FYI
    Last edited by dietrich; 11-03-2018 at 11:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    Where did I say it was? Being a fan favourite simply means being popular.
    Feeling nostalgic about a character isn't the same as being a fan Favourite FYI
    Well, this poll is a fanfave poll, and you said this in your post:

I would not have been surprised if Tim was no 1 because they crafted him to be the perfect Robin that works with everyone based on lesson learned from the 1st two.
    I understood it as you saying that Tim would/could be 1st based on how a perfect Robin he was, instead of the reasons I gave about what makes some character a fan fave (reasons that may be wrong, anyways. I'm no one to say they're actually facts). My apologies if I misunderstood.
    Last edited by Zaresh; 11-03-2018 at 12:10 PM.

Well, this poll is a fanfave poll, and you said this in your post:

I understood it as you saying that Tim would/could be 1st based on how a perfect Robin he was, instead of the reasons I gave about what makes some character a fan fave (reasons that may be wrong, anyways. I'm no one to say they're actually facts). My apologies if I misunderstood.
    Totally agree with you. dietrich's rundown of why people could possibly favor Tim over the others is not accurate. At the end of the day, it's subjective to what a reader may like. The people who loved classic Grayson Robin for example may not be into Damian Robin, who is vastly different in a lot of ways from personality to background. This is the case for Jason and Tim as well. Each have their flavors, all of which us as readers have a personal preference(in regards to who is our favorite).

Quote Originally Posted by oasis1313 View Post
    That's why I didn't like splitting him for the poll. Dick is Dick is Dick. IMHO.
    Considering that the Golden Age version was different (at least in my eyes) than what he became later in the 1960s & 1970s, and considering that Golden Age Robin also became adult Robin, it seemed to me that it was fair to divide them up.
    Besides, not splitting them up would have meant giving Dick a better than 44 year advantage as Robin since he didn't become Nightwing until 1984, and even then there were still more stories where Dick was still Robin that were told after then.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Considering that the Golden Age version was different (at least in my eyes) than what he became later in the 1960s & 1970s, and considering that Golden Age Robin also became adult Robin, it seemed to me that it was fair to divide them up.
    Besides, not splitting them up would have meant giving Dick a better than 44 year advantage as Robin since he didn't become Nightwing until 1984, and even then there were still more stories where Dick was still Robin that were told after then.
    I apologize if it came off like I was complaining about your poll. It is YOUR poll, after all. Again, don't want to sound ungrateful when you're trying to do something fun.

Damian is my favorite "Robin" but Dick is my favorite character to ever wear the Robin costume. Would have loved a few more years of them as Batman and Robin.

BANNED

I think Damian brings something very different to the table, being Bruce's biological child raised by the Ex From Hell.

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

I’m currently collecting the pre-Crisis Bat books from the 80’s right now, and I just adore Jason Todd. I don’t have issues with Dick as Robin, except in the Wolfman/Perez New Teen Titans, but I’m one of Dick’s fans who love him as Nightwing. Especially in his Perez Designed Disco Dick get-up.
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:
    /Doctor Strange/Captain Marvel\Scarlet Witch\
    /Iron Man/Captain Britain/Wasp\X-Men\
    /JSA\/X-Treme X-Men\/WILDCATS\

https://comic-watch.com/author/baradtzgmail-com

Astonishing Member

Voted for Damian Wayne. Honorable mention to Silver Dick in 2nd place.
    Last edited by Batman Begins 2005; 11-03-2018 at 11:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    I’m currently collecting the pre-Crisis Bat books from the 80’s right now, and I just adore Jason Todd. I don’t have issues with Dick as Robin, except in the Wolfman/Perez New Teen Titans, but I’m one of Dick’s fans who love him as Nightwing. Especially in his Perez Designed Disco Dick get-up.
    Both pre and post COIE were charming kids, or rather sympathetic kids, as far as I saw, if you are fond of the punk, strong willed, gold hearted kind of kid. Which I happen to be.

Can understand why some people hated him, though.

Quote Originally Posted by oasis1313 View Post
    I think Damian brings something very different to the table, being Bruce's biological child raised by the Ex From Hell.
    I like that rather than Bruce its Dick who saves Damian and makes him family. Damian is my favourite Robin but Dick Grayson is my All time favourite comic character.

I like Bruce as a parent watching him struggle with this mini version if himself made him more human. Raising a biological child can be just as if not more difficult than an adopted one. Blood doesn't mean that suddenly everything will go smoothly or that you'll get along better.

Damian bring's a lot to the table aside from a new way to look at the Batman and Robin story but a new way to look at these heroes.

Batman redeeming a killer son
    Batman [Dick] redeeming a killer Robin is another aspect of his story I enjoy.

As a character Damian is refreshing. He isn't easy to like but he won me over which makes him more endearing and makes my fondness for him stronger.
    Last edited by Fergus; 11-04-2018 at 04:16 AM.

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Both pre and post COIE were charming kids, or rather sympathetic kids, as far as I saw, if you are fond of the punk, strong willed, gold hearted kind of kid. Which I happen to be.

Jason was quite charming at first, especially under Barr. It wasn’t until Starlin, who, despite my absolute love for his far too short run, just didn’t care for his Jason. Not sure how old he was supposed to be, but Starlin and Aparo depicted him as someone much older than I had thought he was supposed to be.
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:
    /Doctor Strange/Captain Marvel\Scarlet Witch\
    /Iron Man/Captain Britain/Wasp\X-Men\
    /JSA\/X-Treme X-Men\/WILDCATS\

https://comic-watch.com/author/baradtzgmail-com

Jason was quite charming at first, especially under Barr. It wasn’t until Starlin, who, despite my absolute love for his far too short run, just didn’t care for his Jason. Not sure how old he was supposed to be, but Starlin and Aparo depicted him as someone much older than I had thought he was supposed to be.
    As far as I know, Starlin was against the idea of Robin itself. But then you have The Cult, that has a really shinny Jason as Robin. And I may be in the minority here, but I felt sympathy for Jason until his death, intended or not. That's why I said that he was sympathetic even afted Crisis, even with him being more hard and bold that before at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Coal Tiger View Post
    Damian is my favorite "Robin" but Dick is my favorite character to ever wear the Robin costume. Would have loved a few more years of them as Batman and Robin.
    What? Nearly forty-five years wasn't long enough?!?

I think it was the whiplash effect.
    The character did a complete turn-around from being the Dick-clone to the opposite of a Dick-clone after CoIE, and he was also hampered by Moench's Mommy-fixation that Jason had on Nocturna.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Aparo draws all the Robins older than they should. Tim was supposed to be 3 years old when he met Dick at the Circus but he looks like he's at least 6, maybe even 10. Dick was supposed to be 10-12 but drawn like 15, and Jason's supposed to be 15 was drawn like a muscular young adult, just short.