View Poll Results: Who's your favorite Robin? (Robins?)

Voters
279. You may not vote on this poll
  • Golden Age Dick Grayson (pre-CoIE Earth-2 / became adult Robin with JSA)

9 3.23%
  • Dick Grayson (later Nightwing / Silver Age +)

72 25.81%
  • young Bruce Wayne (Detective Comics #226, December 1955)

0 0%
  • Bruce Wayne, Jr. (Batman #131 and others, 1960-1964)

0 0%
  • Jason Todd (later Red Hood / 1983 +)

32 11.47%
  • Carrie Kelley (Frank Miller's future Robin, 1986 +)

2 0.72%
  • Tim Drake (later Red Robin / 1989 +)

77 27.60%
  • robotic "Toy Wonder" (from DC One Million / 1998)

0 0%
  • Stephanie Brown (originally Spoiler, also Batgirl / became Robin in 2004)

11 3.94%
  • Damian Wayne (2006 +)

70 25.09%
  • Helena Wayne (New52 Earth 2 version, later Huntress / 2012 +)

1 0.36%
  • Duke Thomas (Robin from Futures End / 2014)

1 0.36%
  • Matt McGinnis (younger brother of Terry McGinnis in Batman Beyond / 2018 +)

1 0.36%
  • We Are Robin gang (Duke Thomas, Riko, Dre, Isabella, Daxton, Troy, etc. / 2015-2016)

3 1.08%
Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

The main four boys have all been my favorite at some point over the years, but currently it's Damian. I find him so funny, especially when an artist draws him like Calvin from Calvin & Hobbes. His emotional journey's been really satisfying to watch over the years, too. imo emotionally complex child characters are pretty rare, and when Damian is written well, it's fantastic.

Just for fun, I'm going to add in other media versions of Robin.

Favorite animated Robin: Tim from the Bruce Timm universe (idk what it's called). He was so cool and his episode with Superman pretending to be Batman was a classic. His fate in the Batman Beyond movie was more tragic than anything that's befallen the comic Robins. (Runner up: the Teen Titans Robin)

Favorite live action Robin: Burt Ward. No contest.

(Ironically, I think my least favorite animated Robin is Damian from the movies. lol He's so OP and unfunny in those. Needs more Batcow.)

Quote Originally Posted by babybats View Post
    The main four boys have all been my favorite at some point over the years, but currently it's Damian. I find him so funny, especially when an artist draws him like Calvin from Calvin & Hobbes. His emotional journey's been really satisfying to watch over the years, too. imo emotionally complex child characters are pretty rare, and when Damian is written well, it's fantastic.

Just for fun, I'm going to add in other media versions of Robin.

Favorite animated Robin: Tim from the Bruce Timm universe (idk what it's called). He was so cool and his episode with Superman pretending to be Batman was a classic. His fate in the Batman Beyond movie was more tragic than anything that's befallen the comic Robins. (Runner up: the Teen Titans Robin)

Favorite live action Robin: Burt Ward. No contest.

(Ironically, I think my least favorite animated Robin is Damian from the movies. lol He's so OP and unfunny in those. Needs more Batcow.)
    Timmverse is usually known as the DCAU.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Timmverse is usually known as the DCAU.
    Ohhh ok, thanks! I always thought DCAU was just anything animated.

Quote Originally Posted by babybats View Post
    Ohhh ok, thanks! I always thought DCAU was just anything animated.
    Not really. As the DCAU was an actual interconnected franchise spanning multiple series.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    I think it was the whiplash effect.
    The character did a complete turn-around from being the Dick-clone to the opposite of a Dick-clone after CoIE, and he was also hampered by Moench's Mommy-fixation that Jason had on Nocturna.
    There wasn't whiplash. Despite what you say about pre-crisis Jason being "Dick's clone", he really wasn't and the writers put efforts to make him stand on his own (which was acknowledged by fans at that time in the letters section and their only complaint was his origin).

Post-Crisis Jason was a little rough at the edges and far more mature than his pre-crisis version who part of his arc was about him maturing, but there's still some stuff of his personality that carried over (and his new origin was welcomed with curiosity by fans since they saw potential in it). Jason had a sudden 180 turn over near his death where Starlin himself admitted that the reason behind the sudden change was because they wanted people to dislike him.
    Last edited by Rise; 11-07-2018 at 02:02 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rise View Post
    Post-Crisis Jason was a little rough at the edges and far more mature than his pre-crisis version who part of his arc was about him maturing, but there's still some stuff of his personality that carried over (and his new origin was welcomed with curiosity by fans since they saw potential in it). Jason had a sudden 180 turn over near his death where Starlin himself admitted that the reason behind the sudden change was because they wanted people to dislike him.
    The early post crisis Jason (written by Barr and Collins) seemed imo actually younger (and cuter) than the pre crisis version.

Btw. the pre crisis Jason is imo really under rated, the writers made a really good job in showing him becoming Robin. And this was written far better than anything from Dick eraly years at Robin that was around at that time.

Jason in pre-crisis was also 12 when he was taken by Bruce same as in post-crisis.

Jason by Collins was more mature and acted older than his age which was pretty fitting considering that he was a kid who had to take care of his mother and later lived in the streets in his own, but you can still see that he was just a kid who life pushed him to grow up faster than he should to survive. Pre-crisis Jason in comparison was more sheltered and he is what I picture Jason would have been if he had a better life.

Extraordinary Member

Jason in pre-crisis was also 12 when he was taken by Bruce same as in post-crisis.
    That was actually never really established on panel. And imo he looked much more like kid in the early post crisis stories while he looked more like a young teen in the end of the pre crisis continuity.

I'm pretty sure it was established that he was pretty young and they said they always intended for him to be 12 when he started as Robin. He was just drawn taller.

I'm pretty sure it was established that he was pretty young and they said they always intended for him to be 12 when he started as Robin. He was just drawn taller.
    It was, in a letter, as far as I recall.

Quote Originally Posted by Coal Tiger View Post
    Damian is my favorite "Robin" but Dick is my favorite character to ever wear the Robin costume. Would have loved a few more years of them as Batman and Robin.
    Same here.

Never really cared for any of the other Robins.
    Batman - Daredevil

BANNED

I've been a Grayson fan since I was four years old, but I also love Jason and Damian. Robin should be a transitory role, like apprentice or journeyman superhero. When you outgrow the yellow cape, then you move on. No beef with that.

In the nearly two weeks since I last checked these numbers (back on November 2nd):
    * Damian Wayne (2006 +) = 30 votes (+ 8)
    * Tim Drake (later Red Robin / 1989 +) = 27 votes (+ 5)
    * Dick Grayson (Nightwing/Silver Age +) = 26 votes (+ 6)
    * Jason Todd (later Red Hood / 1983 +) = 14 votes (+ 2)

NOTE: Golden Age Dick Grayson (pre-CoIE Earth-2 / became adult Robin with JSA) and Stephanie Brown (originally Spoiler, also Batgirl / became Robin in 2004) are still at three votes for each.
    Carrie Kelley (Frank Miller's future Robin, 1986 +) has two votes.
    One person voted for We Are Robin gang (Duke Thomas, Riko, Dre, Isabella, Daxton, Troy, etc. / 2015-2016).
    All other choices don't have any votes yet at present.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    In the nearly two weeks since I last checked these numbers (back on November 2nd):
    * Damian Wayne (2006 +) = 30 votes (+ 8)
    * Tim Drake (later Red Robin / 1989 +) = 27 votes (+ 5)
    * Dick Grayson (Nightwing/Silver Age +) = 26 votes (+ 6)
    * Jason Todd (later Red Hood / 1983 +) = 14 votes (+ 2)

NOTE: Golden Age Dick Grayson (pre-CoIE Earth-2 / became adult Robin with JSA) and Stephanie Brown (originally Spoiler, also Batgirl / became Robin in 2004) are still at three votes for each.
    Carrie Kelley (Frank Miller's future Robin, 1986 +) has two votes.
    One person voted for We Are Robin gang (Duke Thomas, Riko, Dre, Isabella, Daxton, Troy, etc. / 2015-2016).
    All other choices don't have any votes yet at present.
    I always felt like Steph got a raw deal in "War Games." She was just cannon fodder, and DC still hasn't made it up to her and her fans.

Quote Originally Posted by oasis1313 View Post
    I always felt like Steph got a raw deal in "War Games." She was just cannon fodder, and DC still hasn't made it up to her and her fans.
    Sometimes I think it's better to forget about Steph's stint as Robin and in War Games just because that seems to feature Batman as a super-dick and a bit beyond what his character should be.
    (I haven't read any of those stories myself, but from what I have seen / heard, despite the fact that Steph may have had a good spotlight on her, it just seems to be another low-point for the character of Batman.)