Default Details on the cut Mary Jane scenes from Amazing Spider-Man 2

For obvious reasons, this is going to include spoilers of Amazing Spider-Man 2.

In an interview, Marc Webb explained why he cut Shailene Woodley's scenes.

I certainly didn't leave the film thinking that it needed more characters. Maybe if it had been two films.

Movies.com: Where was Mary Jane supposed to fit into all of this?

Marc Webb: There was one little scene at the beginning where she is next door and it took place right around the montage where he comes back and there was another little moment between Gwen and MJ. But it just tipped over. The relationship between them [Peter and Gwen] is so sacred and so powerful, that it just didn't feel right. And it sucks because Shailene is such a f**king great actress and so cool and magical but it was just about having this obligation to this romance that I thought was sacred. It was just one of those things.

Movies.com: Is she going to be back?

Webb: Well, Divergent is a massive hit and I think it's going to be tricky for schedules.

Movies.com: Is this a character who you still want to introduce into the franchise?

spoilers:
    Webb: Oh absolutely. The question, of course, is can Peter ever love again? And that will be something that we have to address.
    end of spoilers
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Fantastic Member

Hopefully, they can still bring her back as MJ.

Fantastic Member

They won't bring her back. Shame, but a new actress will be cast. I think it's good MJ wasn't in this, the movie had enough going on and didn't need MJ. It would have undermined Gwen if he's already met his next love before she died.

Fantastic Member

So.. what happened to that bit of drama with people dumping on Woodley's for being too unattractive and having none of the "assets" to play a acceptable MJ ?

Incredible Member

someone mentions MJ being an important part of the death of Gwen Stacy because of the epilogue, I can see their points but I hope that Mark at least feels the story feels more straight forward without feeling they shouldn't have cut out scenes that really could have made the movie so much more better like TASM or from what I hear TASM 2.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pako View Post
    So.. what happened to that bit of drama with people dumping on Woodley's for being too unattractive and having none of the "assets" to play a acceptable MJ ?
    I think that was mainly Comic Book Movies, a comic book forum I really dislike going to for personal reasons but I got to admit some of their sources are reliable I just don't like some of the people. Honestly I thought that was too much going an actress from unrealistic comic book standards, while it looks like Shailene Woodley might not come back I hope we get an actress just as good if not better and can capture a lot of the quality traits of comics MJ and can play a TSSM Cartoon/Ultimate Spider-Man comics type MJ and can come off as a tough stand-up chick if that isn't that isn't too unrealistic in standards.

Quote Originally Posted by Pako View Post
    Man, I hated that. Those guys who criticised Woodley over her looks, could've sworn they must have had ladies eating out their hands for them to make such idiotic comments.

Quote Originally Posted by ironman2978 View Post
    someone mentions MJ being an important part of the death of Gwen Stacy because of the epilogue, I can see their points but I hope that Mark at least feels the story feels more straight forward without feeling they shouldn't have cut out scenes that really could have made the movie so much more better like TASM or from what I hear TASM 2.
    It's a different take on Gwen's death and how it affects Peter. IMO that MJ moment wouldn't translate well on screen, mainly because it would cheapen Gwen's death. How Peter will completely deal with Gwen's death will be explored in ASM3 and I'm sure MJ will be eased into it so the timing can be better, she's definitely an integral factor in the aftermath of Gwen's death, helping Peter forgive himself and move on.

BANNED

I think we will see these scenes remounted for ASM III, with Stone coming back for flashbacks to interact with MJ. To be honest, I like the idea of exploring Peter's hesitation to love again, coupled with the idea MJ will probably start off as a friend. I'm hoping it's a slow burn process and MJ becomes the love interest later in the series rather than immediatly once Peter goes through his arc and is more settled.

I don't know how to use spoiler tags, so the following should be considered spoilers.

SPOILER!

Mary Jane still sort of does appear in the film, well, at least her back does. Towards the end of the film, when Aleksei is busted out of prison and gets his RHINO suit by Oscorp, you can see him wreaking havoc. In one particular shot we find ourselves in a shop, I guess it's a Starbucks or something, a store serving coffee. This shot was also included in many, many trailers. So we are inside the Starbucks, and outside one car crashes on top of another, and here you can see Shailene Woodley's back and some other spectators. I'll try to find the trailer.

EDIT: Here it is.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbp3Ra3Yp74.
    Right around the 02:03 mark. Keep in mind that the announcement of her cut part was announced way before this trailer was released.
    Last edited by The4orTy67; 05-03-2014 at 01:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ironman2978 View Post
    If that anything to do with Woodley's role in the films, it may make her less likely to want to be in the films. I'm sure Sony and Webb would be glad to have the star of Divergent as MJ, assuming no serious scheduling conflicts.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

I like Woodley, but I think Webb made an excellent decision cutting her out. She would've made things confusing if she had a cameo in the film, and I just don't think Woodley captures her very well. She just couldn't pull off the red hair in my opinion, and Mary Jane is someone that should be near perfect looking. Had Stone not been Stacy, I would've loved to see her as MJ.

Seeing how no one who wouldn't want to be spoiled is going to enter this thread, I don't think spoiler tags are necessary. In the movie, you can tell where the MJ scenes that were cut were going to be placed. The first one (her intro) would have been after the scene with Aunt May telling Peter to go to the auto shop and get her car fixed. I'm sure MJ would've been the mechanic at said auto shop, meeting Peter for the first time and fixing May's car.

Another scene would've been just before Gwen leaving for the airport in a taxi. In Gwen's message to Peter after he comes out of the tunnel, she tells him that she came by his house earlier and that he wasn't there. This is obviously a reference to the scene on the Parker front porch where Gwen met MJ.

And lastly, as The4or pointed out previously, would've been the last scene with Rhino. You can even see her back in one of the shots. She was a waitress at one of the cafes in the neighborhood Rhino attacked (so she juggles two jobs and works as both a mechanic and waitress probably).

Shailene Woodley said that MJ only had four scenes in TASM2, and those are already three out of the four. The fourth one probably had something to do with her dad, as one of the actors from Baby's Day out was cast as her father.

There was an interview with concept artist Gregory Hill. Although all images have since been removed by request of Sony, the interview remains and sheds some light on MJ's potential entrance.

http://filmsketchr.blogspot.com/2014...ng-spider.html

MM: Your illustrations show a scene in a garage. Could you explain what was going on in that scene?

GH: In the script MJ and her father have recently moved in next door to Peter and his Aunt… He's run into her a few times, and seen that her father has a habit of getting drunk and treating MJ badly. If I remember right, the scene I illustrated has her dad going into the garage, and suddenly getting hoisted upside down from the rafters….where he meets Spider-Man. And gets a dressing down for how badly he treats his daughter. I think that's about the only MJ scene which was originally in the script… no, there was one other where she and Gwen briefly meet outside Peter's house.

There is a funny story to this too. After I finished the drawing, I had it on my desk as I moved on to something else. When I looked up there was this guy standing beside me, looking at the garage drawing, but he had it turned upside down. We exchanged "Hi's" and he left. Later I heard a major discussion going on around the desk of the set designer who was drafting the garage, and the designer said "It's all Greg Hill's fault." Turns out the guy looking at my drawing was Marc Webb, and he had asked that the garage set be built upside down.

Marc was looking at the sketch right side up first I assume…. and figuring out what would be CGI, etc. Then when he turned the drawing, he realized that he could basically shoot the scene with little or no CGI work if he built the set upside down… then Spidey could act naturally… even walk around. I never saw any footage so I don't know how they ended up doing it however. I assume they built the set upside down… which would be a lot cheaper than adding VFX to a whole scene.

Well, it may be for the best that Webb cut her scenes out of ASM2, but it bothers me a little that we are going to have yet another important supporting cast member drop out of the sky with no preamble, ala Harry Osborn. MJ, Peter and Gwen have history together, in every incarnation of the franchise. Peter's supporting cast is interesting for a large part because of all the interconnections between them.