Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Countdown to this Kryptonite being ignored in 3...2...1...

BANNED

I wonder if this is going to be kings attempt to write his version of Batman: venom or superbat the Batmanof Zur-En-Arrh

On one hand, I don't like the "one touch and it's permanent" part - it should be a "as long as it's touching your skin" thing, so if it gets knocked away, the powers go. But as it is, maybe Gold/Yellow K can strip them away again?

But on the other hand...

Am I the only one that wants Alfred to grab it?
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

Mighty Member

They should grab all the Kryptonite colors, throw them in a blender and hit frappe to make the ULTIMATE Kryptonite...that does everything to you at once.

I also wonder if the other Kryptonite variations will affect you after you touch this version, getting all of Superman's powers, but all of his weaknesses as well.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

This story looks nice. I like the narration choice here--very storybook. The new Kryptonite is pretty clearly a plot device for character exploration, and like a follow up to Batman telling Gotham Girl that he could fly if he wanted to, but he doesn't. This can also be interpreted as Batman at his lowest point because of all of the sh!t that's been going on in his life (what with his kid getting shot and his heart being broken).

On Clark's part, I'm 100% sure his intentions are good. He either A) Sees his best friend spiralling from one tragedy to the next, and his body is paying the price as his heart weakens, so Clark basically wants to insinuate and remove all possibility for physical pain while his heart mends, or B) He is a classic Superman "test his first to elicit personal growth in them" situation, and at a time where Bruce "the control freak" Wayne has maybe the least control over his life ever, Clark puts a test of self control in front of him.

Either way, the set up for the Kryptonite is so specific that I doubt it'll ever be a thing ever again, but it's great to see writers going back into the classic idea well of "strange one-off of a thing you know" because everyone's so scared of that these days, it seems. This kryptonite is destined to either float on a shelf in the Fortress as an Easter egg or sit in a vault in the Batcave as a, you guessed it, Easter egg.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 10-31-2018 at 12:59 PM.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Mistah K88 View Post
    They should grab all the Kryptonite colors, throw them in a blender and hit frappe to make the ULTIMATE Kryptonite...that does everything to you at once.
    If I was a Superman villain, I'd collect all the different kinds of Kryptonite and make a utility belt with them.

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Gonna make my official guess before it drops tomorrow that Batman is in some way imagining this, induced or otherwise. Just has a dreamlike feel to it, especially Superman's behavior.
    Buh-bye

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post
    Gonna make my official guess before it drops tomorrow that Batman is in some way imagining this, induced or otherwise. Just has a dreamlike feel to it, especially Superman's behavior.
    To be fair, it is Tom King.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    If I was a Superman villain, I'd collect all the different kinds of Kryptonite and make a utility belt with them.
    Random thought, but if a villain *did* do that, wouldn't all the kryptonite's different effects canceleach other out??

Didn't Lex do something like that in Last Son and Supergirl but with a gauntlet rather than a belt?

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

spoilers:
    Seems my theory was wrong, on the basis of...well, those 3 pages were it, nothing else from that in this issue. Seems it's being set up to be a plot element that plays out in the book proper rather than a one-and-done.
    end of spoilers
    Buh-bye

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    This seems quite over-powered. I mean, all the multi-colored Kryptonites are silly in their own way, and silly can be good. I don't like to me too much of a stick in the mud with comics, they're supposed to be fun. But at the same time its just too much. There's no consequence or detriment that keeps it from being an unending deus ex machina.

I'd have it be a temporary effect, AND when its handled by a non-Kryptonian and touches skin, that specific sample disintegrates.
    I'd make it last indefinitely, unless the person who used it is exposed to Gold K. modern Gold K doesn't permanently depower Kryptonians, but a person who was merely imbued with their powers?
    Quote Originally Posted by adkal View Post
    Didn't Lex do something like that in Last Son and Supergirl but with a gauntlet rather than a belt?
    Turned out the fundamental concept was flawed since it accidentally created an evil Doppleganger of Supergirl who smashed the gauntlet.
    Last edited by marhawkman; 10-31-2018 at 11:26 AM.

Retired

Modern gold K doesn't permanently remove powers? That's weak sauce. As a kid reading the old comics I was intensely scared of gold K, on the edge of my seat when it appeared in a comic because I knew the consequences should any Kryptonian be exposed to the substance. Its presence in a story immediately raised the stakes and had me very anxious for Superman and Supergirl.

If it's only temporary in a modern comic, what's the point of it? Hardly an inconvience.

I was hoping King was bringing back pink kryptonite . . .

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Modern gold K doesn't permanently remove powers? That's weak sauce. As a kid reading the old comics I was intensely scared of gold K, on the edge of my seat when it appeared in a comic because I knew the consequences should any Kryptonian be exposed to the substance. Its presence in a story immediately raised the stakes and had me very anxious for Superman and Supergirl.

If it's only temporary in a modern comic, what's the point of it? Hardly an inconvience.
    I think the Same storyline that introduced it to modern canon, Last Son, claimed it to be both permanent and temporary.

*shrug*

Too bad it sounds like it'll be months before platinum is really unpacked