Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I was reading a comic called Slash and Burn so i could see how this could work.

Usually you'd want a character to explore a new/different "world" in storytelling and superheroes are no different. So having Donna became a firefighter is a way to do just that.
    Exactly. And I think it fits Donna too. She can help people but (usually) avoid the violence of super-crime, confront the horrors of her past that so defined her (very Batman-esque, that), and for the first time in her entire history fill a role that isn't utterly, completely redundant. She could be (mostly) unique, and while Donna Troy has been a whole lot of things over the years, unique has never been one of them.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Titans is supposed to have her on in a few weeks anyway so lets see how she does.

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    Just change her hairstyle to be noticably different than Diana's
    Just a fringe would do that.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

For a brief period of time Donna was quitestablished unique power wise in the Wonder-verse. At one point she still possessed all the abilities she had similar to Diana's , but now in addition to those, she could wield photonic energy as power blasts and protective force fields, and generate light from her hands. Donna has the ability to project three dimensional images of a person's memories, provided the subject is a willing participant in the process. Donna's Troia costume was made of various gifts given to her by the Titans of Myth, the most notable of which was the unique star field material that showed the exact location of New Chronus.
    Donna then petitioned the Titans of Myth to remove her powers for a time.
    Ater, she returned as a Goddess of the Moon in which she had all her previous powers plus was able to command cold and darkness. However all anyone ever seemed to use were her base WG powers.

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    For a brief period of time Donna was quitestablished unique power wise in the Wonder-verse. At one point she still possessed all the abilities she had similar to Diana's , but now in addition to those, she could wield photonic energy as power blasts and protective force fields, and generate light from her hands. Donna has the ability to project three dimensional images of a person's memories, provided the subject is a willing participant in the process. Donna's Troia costume was made of various gifts given to her by the Titans of Myth, the most notable of which was the unique star field material that showed the exact location of New Chronus.
    Donna then petitioned the Titans of Myth to remove her powers for a time.
    Ater, she returned as a Goddess of the Moon in which she had all her previous powers plus was able to command cold and darkness. However all anyone ever seemed to use were her base WG powers.
    And Meredith Finch would later establish she had the power of the fates to know past, present, and future. And had a pegasus she rode on. And upon getting limbs hacked off she could casually just pick them up and slap them back on.

Donna has had a large number of powers over the years. The problem is that generally speaking, the powers are simply slapped on with little explanation. Id honestly be surprised if most of the people who wrote Donna Troy after that Titan stuff even knew about that period of the characters life.

I think it's just DC's attempt to make Donna different from Diana without actually putting any thought into it.

It's not the powers that are the problem. Many of the most popular characters in comics have the "flying brick" powerset. The problem is the extreme inconsistency and constant rebooting, and the fact that, at her foundation, she's exactly like Diana (because she was Diana!!!!) and that makes it really hard to make her stand out while remaining true to her character.

Donna changes origins and powers like I change my shirt.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I think it's just DC's attempt to make Donna different from Diana without actually putting any thought into it.

It's not the powers that are the problem. Many of the most popular characters in comics have the "flying brick" powerset. The problem is the extreme inconsistency and constant rebooting, and the fact that, at her foundation, she's exactly like Diana (because she was Diana!!!!) and that makes it really hard to make her stand out while remaining true to her character.

Donna changes origins and powers like I change my shirt.
    But she isn't really like Diana. Not in terms of stories, personality or origin. In looks and powers maybe but that's it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy Mittens View Post
    And Meredith Finch would later establish she had the power of the fates to know past, present, and future. And had a pegasus she rode on. And upon getting limbs hacked off she could casually just pick them up and slap them back on.

Donna has had a large number of powers over the years. The problem is that generally speaking, the powers are simply slapped on with little explanation. Id honestly be surprised if most of the people who wrote Donna Troy after that Titan stuff even knew about that period of the characters life.
    How long did she keep her purple lasso of persuasion, wasn't it something like 20 minutes?

The thing about Donna that needs to be addressed isn't her origin, it's how she's anything but redundant in a world that already has Wonder Woman. They have to be as individual as Supergirl and Power Girl and the lines aren't very clear.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    But she isn't really like Diana. Not in terms of stories, personality or origin. In looks and powers maybe but that's it.
    No, her origin is different. Her stories are different (since she's only ever been a team player, of course they have been right?). But her personality? I imagine you'd be hard pressed to find many people outside of hardcore NTT fans who can pinpoint the differences.

~ Black Panther.

reboot, Reboot, REBOOT.

Donna is just so far from her original concept now, that I can't find her enjoyable.

I pray that Doctor Manhattan has the prescription to fix her. (And to me, that's going back to her origin of being a young girl saved by Diana, raised on Themyscira, and bestowed powers by the Amazons - I even have a story of how the latter occurs. Call me DC!)

Regardless, SAVE DONNA TROY!

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    No, her origin is different. Her stories are different (since she's only ever been a team player, of course they have been right?). But her personality? I imagine you'd be hard pressed to find many people outside of hardcore NTT fans who can pinpoint the differences.
    As I recall isn't her current origin that she was born from clay?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy Mittens View Post
    As I recall isn't her current origin that she was born from clay?
    Well, the current origin of Wonder Woman is that she's daughter of Hyppolita and Zeus. So, her current origin is totally different.

That said, it's a horrible origin, because Donna was also created to kill Wonder Woman, but her memories were altered by Wonder Woman and the Amazons.

Quote Originally Posted by Konja7 View Post
    Well, the current origin of Wonder Woman is that she's daughter of Hyppolita and Zeus. So, her current origin is totally different.

That said, it's a horrible origin, because Donna was also created to kill Wonder Woman, but her memories were altered by Wonder Woman and the Amazons.
    It's also very confusing from a continuity perspective. If Donna was running around as a teenager (13 ish) with the original Titans, when was she created by the Amazons and are we to assume that she was created as a teenager and not a fully-grown adult? Also, if Diana wasn't allowed back on the island, how could she have been involved in the fake memory implant? It was also mentioned in Titans that the Amazons gave them an invisible jet as a gift. So, are we to assume that Donna had contact with the island and Amazons even though WW was searching for island? The new Donna origin just opens up a whole new can of continuity confusion that leads to more questions than answers.

Quote Originally Posted by donnafan View Post
    It's also very confusing from a continuity perspective. If Donna was running around as a teenager (13 ish) with the original Titans, when was she created by the Amazons and are we to assume that she was created as a teenager and not a fully-grown adult? Also, if Diana wasn't allowed back on the island, how could she have been involved in the fake memory implant? It was also mentioned in Titans that the Amazons gave them an invisible jet as a gift. So, are we to assume that Donna had contact with the island and Amazons even though WW was searching for island? The new Donna origin just opens up a whole new can of continuity confusion that leads to more questions than answers.
    So.....business as usual?

This is one of Donna's biggest problems, in my opinion. She's under different editors than Diana, and there's rarely any communication between them.

The only silver lining right now is that continuity is broken by design. It doesnt make a damn lick of sense.....but it doesn't have to because "Doctor Manhattan." When that plot is finally resolved and DC's continuity gets another re-write to put the missing time back in place......well, Donna's origin is probably still going to be a mess and contradict a lot of Wonder stuff. But right now it's something we can write off as being intentional, which is rare.

~ Black Panther.

Incredible Member

Donna really just needs to to get her adopted by the Amazons origin back, get her sisterly relationship with Diana restored. What really frustrates me is it looked like they were going to do it at first with rebirth then abruptly swerved, and doubled down on evil golem or something. And now she's an alcholic, what?

Quote Originally Posted by donnafan View Post
    I really have to wonder if Rucka's decision to pretty much wipe out Diana's entire history with the the "Never been back to Themyscira ever" element was something that came relatively late in the process that derailed Abnetts original plans for Donna resulting in the current mess. I'd actually like to see that go away and Donna to to go back to being Dianas adopted sister after doomsday clock as well but I doubt we'll get another reboot so soon( and it's a shame I think we need another one). Them dropping the ball so badly with wonder family really made start to lose faith in Rebirth and DC's ability to fix things, which seem only have gotten worse.