Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Honestly? I dont know if she's worth the effort of saving.
    This is the kind of controversial opinion I wish this forum encouraged. Donna's a shoe-horned character in almost every continuity she's part of, and her role is almost always nebulous and ultimately unnecessary.

If you've got a wild suggestion for Donna, I'm here for it. It's gotta be more entertaining than another rehash of "Who is Donna Troy?"

Incredible Member Geraldofrivia's Avatar

Have a healthy sibling rivalry between Donna and Diana. Also, Donna should regularly appear in Wonder Woman comics especially when a crisis occurs.
    She should also be in the upcoming Wonder Woman movie.

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    This is the kind of controversial opinion I wish this forum encouraged. Donna's a shoe-horned character in almost every continuity she's part of, and her role is almost always nebulous and ultimately unnecessary.

If you've got a wild suggestion for Donna, I'm here for it. It's gotta be more entertaining than another rehash of "Who is Donna Troy?"
    Thanks. Well the most controversial suggestion I have for Donna is forget her and move on. As you said, she's never been a natural fit in continuity.

I'm also a fan of the idea of going back to Donna being a time traveling young Diana, like Wonder Girl originally was. I'm pretty sure that's just as controversial as leaving Donna out of the DCU entirely, since it still erases the character as we've understood her since NTT. But I love the idea of young Diana exploring the DCU and going by an alias; that's the kind of side-kick you don't usually see.

Alternatively, you could push Donna into a non-costumed supporting role in Diana's title. I'm fascinated by the idea of post-spandex heroism and what that looks like in the DCU. So maybe you make Donna a different kind of hero; the kind that doesn't wear a costume and punch people (outside of the occasional Crisis; she can always suit up when she has to). Maybe she becomes Themyscria's ambassador to the UN. Or if you want to piss a bunch of people off, have her become an activist tackling women's rights; you'll get plenty of attention if Donna starts talking about reproductive rights and a woman's right to choose. Or you could have Donna become a fire fighter or EMT or some other kind of first responder. The DCU is full of superhumans and not all of them wear costumes. Surely there must be superhumans counted among other professions beyond "masked vigilante" and maybe Donna could be one of them. She'd make for a great fire fighter and it'd fold nicely with her "rescued from burning building" origin.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

There is one thing that an adoptee Donna can do that's Diana can't: show what Amazon training means for "normal" humans. (This is based on my headcanon that the Amazons aren't precisely human, but rather nymphs of civilisaton, so divine though of a rather low order.) She can also pick up a lot of the issues that many adoptees experience, working to reconcile her upbringing as an Amazon with her human origin, maybe trying to reconnect with her remaining biological family, trying to fit in with a human society that she in many ways find alien, and so on.

In a way, she has the Superman problem but in reverse: being a normal human raised in a superpowered society.

I'm not so sure about sibling rivalry between Diana and Donna. For one, I don't think Hippolyta would be so crappy a parent that she compared everything Donna did to what Diana did. For another, they would have relatively little contact while Donna was growing up. I can see Donna wanting to prove herself, but not so much to compare herself to Diana.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    There is one thing that an adoptee Donna can do that's Diana can't: show what Amazon training means for "normal" humans. (This is based on my headcanon that the Amazons aren't precisely human, but rather nymphs of civilisaton, so divine though of a rather low order.) She can also pick up a lot of the issues that many adoptees experience, working to reconcile her upbringing as an Amazon with her human origin, maybe trying to reconnect with her remaining biological family, trying to fit in with a human society that she in many ways find alien, and so on.

In a way, she has the Superman problem but in reverse: being a normal human raised in a superpowered society.

I'm not so sure about sibling rivalry between Diana and Donna. For one, I don't think Hippolyta would be so crappy a parent that she compared everything Donna did to what Diana did. For another, they would have relatively little contact while Donna was growing up. I can see Donna wanting to prove herself, but not so much to compare herself to Diana.
    Hippolyta wouldn't.The other Amazon's could (possibly) but it doesn't even have to be a intentional thing.Simply hearing stories about how great Diana is could place a drive in Donna to be as good if not better some day.
    Last edited by Baseman; 10-30-2018 at 01:56 PM.

I say leave the so called sibling Rivalry to Diana and Artemis. That fits them better. I like the fact that out of all of the original proteges that Diana and Donna have a good relationship...Or atleast they originally did, especially when it usually shown that it's the female characters that don't get along, as they like to show with people thinking Diana is icy etc. (I don't like what they've done to Donna currently so I choose to not count it .lol.)
    Last edited by richalex; 10-30-2018 at 01:52 PM.
    Richard Alexander

Incredible Member Geraldofrivia's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post

I want Wonder Family to be slightly flawed. Not New 52 flawed but flaws that make them human and relatable. In original comics, Hippolyta was an overprotective mother.

Rescue her from the current Titans creative team, which is turning her into an alcoholic.

Reconnect her to the Wonder Woman mythoi. I like the Heinberg twist on the mirror twin origin -- it has her being raised on Paradise Island -- but I would take the adopted orphan version if I had to.

And spend time establishing her personality before reinserting her in the Titans (or wait a good long while for the creative team to leave).

Put her in space, Cosmic Amazon Troia

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    Put her in space, Cosmic Amazon Troia
    Honestly this would be a good use for her. Wonder Woman amassed a fair share of space type villains over the years and DC hasn't really tapped into any of them in quite a while. Let Donna play with them and give her a chance to branch out in a direction Wonder Woman hasn't touched in decades and she might be able to better define herself as something other than being based on Wonder Woman or being a Teen Titan.

I had two ideas for addressing the Donna situation. Both would need a comprehensive reboot of the DCUniverse, but that's more likely to happen than either of my ideas. One felt very comicbooky, but it's comicbooky-GeoffJohnsy in that it incorporates a magic mirror, a burning house, foster parents, and a significant role for the Titan goddess Rhea. The second is weirder: taking significant elements of the Donna Troy character to reboot and rewrite Raven.

BANNED

She sacrifices herself via Supergirl in the Original COIE to save the multiverse and in the process regains all of her memories and origins. However, people remember her sacrifice via Barry Allen. THAT is how you do away with Donna Troy by giving her a heroic and memorable death.

Plus this time around SHE DOES NOT RETURN TO LIFE until she has a proper storyline behind her.

I'm hoping Doctor Manhattan reboots the universe and we get the original Donna back as a child saved by Diana and raised for a bit on Themyscira by the Amazons.

Back to basics with Donna and let her original characterization shine through and not this second-rate, angry Artemis-like attitude that she has currently.

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post

There's a controversial opinion thread for that. And you'd not be the only one who's expressed that opinion. This thread is about how to salvage her character.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 10-30-2018 at 10:56 PM.

Astonishing Member

This is likely an unpopular opinion, but I suspect Donna will need a total reboot. It would help Donna to start as young hero again.

I mean if she's 13, she could be Wonder Girl again. This would allow more interactions with Wonder Woman as a mentor. Also, she can interact with a younger generation of superheros like Damian or Jon (which are in a better position that Donna's current generation of superheroes).