Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    The moral quandary you mention is an interesting one and off the top of my head I dont really recall it ever being explored too deeply. If my foggy recollection is correct, Cassie stole the artifacts and Diana's biggest issue was that the girl was putting herself in danger, but soon after decided that Cassie had proven herself and Diana gave Cassie her blessing to continue on, essentially sweeping the theft under the rug completely.
    Well, it's not like superhero comics are noted for narrative and thematic rigour And if an artifact is of Amazon-related origin, then Diana can be viewed as the proper owner/caretaker and can assign it to someone else.

Check this out. Really changes the narrative that Wonder Girl was a mistake due to a careless or uninformed author.

https://www.cbr.com/wonder-woman-won...en-titans/amp/
    It's not about 'deserve' it's about what you believe. And I believe in Love.

Quote Originally Posted by RealWonderman View Post
    Check this out. Really changes the narrative that Wonder Girl was a mistake due to a careless or uninformed author.

Interesting.

Great research on that one!

I was reading some of those black and white Showcase volumes, I was thinking the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    Well, it's not like superhero comics are noted for narrative and thematic rigour
    Ha! That's true.

Does it really change all that much though? Looking at the article, about all I can see is that the guy who usually gets blamed for screwing up Wonder Girl's identity and origin wasn't the first person to make that mistake. All I'm seeing here is (more) proof that "Donna" has always been a mess.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

You know, Donna being originally from Man's World could be interesting if she'd still consider herself an Amazon but still enjoys things that the Amazons would probably disapprove of, like uncomfortable shoes and diet types. It could be a way to show different aspects of feminism and how both sides can coexist.

Does it really change all that much though? Looking at the article, about all I can see is that the guy who usually gets blamed for screwing up Wonder Girl's identity and origin wasn't the first person to make that mistake. All I'm seeing here is (more) proof that "Donna" has always been a mess.
    Ant that each time they have a chance to fix the problem, they make it more of a mess!
    Doctor Bifrost

"If Roy G. Bivolo had seen some B&W pencil sketches, his whole life would have turned out differently." http://doctorbifrost.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    You know, Donna being originally from Man's World could be interesting if she'd still consider herself an Amazon but still enjoys things that the Amazons would probably disapprove of, like uncomfortable shoes and diet types. It could be a way to show different aspects of feminism and how both sides can coexist.
    It'd be a great approach for Donna, I think. Sets her apart from Cassie and Diana and gives her a unique niche to occupy. Works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Bifrost View Post
    Ant that each time they have a chance to fix the problem, they make it more of a mess!
    I really dont get it. How the hell does a company of professionals let a product slide like this? I mean, a wrong turn now and then is to be expected, but this is.....I cant even think of the words to describe it.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Just stopping in briefly to exclaim, “FREE DONNA TROY!”

I really dont get it. How the hell does a company of professionals let a product slide like this? I mean, a wrong turn now and then is to be expected, but this is.....I cant even think of the words to describe it.
    I think the problem with all the different "professionals" fixes to Donna were that they were far too self-referential to story tropes found within the comic book industry. Things like exiled intergalactic gods creating a new generation from aliens, magical memory wipes and subsequent magical trauma felt in a different person, dimension-hopping and timeline rewrites, flipping the original clay-birth story into a manufactured enemy combatant... they're all latter century comic-book solutions to a cosmology that relies more on pulp and fantasy inspirations.

Want to create an origin for a Donna character that feels right, peel back everything, and fold in only the absolutely necessary bits. She doesn't need Titan gods, she doesn't need insular references to alternate histories. She needs a way to get to the island, a way off the island, a reason for her powers, and a reason for why they appear after Diana arrives on Man's world. Start with that.

I think so. They way people charactersize the whole thing, is that when Teen Titans, as a brand, was created, that little to no research was put into Wonder Girl. But that doesn't seem a fair characterization, since she was already written as a separate character unto herself in the Wonder Woman book.

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    I think the problem with all the different "professionals" fixes to Donna were that they were far too self-referential to story tropes found within the comic book industry. Things like exiled intergalactic gods creating a new generation from aliens, magical memory wipes and subsequent magical trauma felt in a different person, dimension-hopping and timeline rewrites, flipping the original clay-birth story into a manufactured enemy combatant... they're all latter century comic-book solutions to a cosmology that relies more on pulp and fantasy inspirations.

Want to create an origin for a Donna character that feels right, peel back everything, and fold in only the absolutely necessary bits. She doesn't need Titan gods, she doesn't need insular references to alternate histories. She needs a way to get to the island, a way off the island, a reason for her powers, and a reason for why they appear after Diana arrives on Man's world. Start with that.
    Of all the things done, the Titan Gods stuff is the most blech for me. It's as though they made the whole convoluted storyline just so they could call her Troia, which I LOATHE.

Of all the things done, the Titan Gods stuff is the most blech for me. It's as though they made the whole convoluted storyline just so they could call her Troia, which I LOATHE.
    Involving Titan goddesses just because Donna was on a team called Teen Titans was remarkably shallow imagineering. Wolfman gets praise similar to Claremont despite both making questionably poor creative decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post

So much THIS.

Donna's origin should be able to be uttered in one sentence, like it used to be.

"Adopted Amazon".
    or
    "Wonder Woman's adopted sister".

The TV show demonstrated pretty easily that you don't need all the convoluted nonsense to "justify" having Donna around. I really wish they could figure out a way to get "real" Donna back in the comics and jettison all the "weapon/created to destroy..." nonsense.