Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

It doesn't help anything, but it occurs to me that Donnas situation bears a resemblance to Jason Todds initially.
    Originally he had Dicks backstory and was basically Dick. Then got killed off and wasn't considered relevent. What brought him back was a major Batman arc which had Batman confronted with a revived Jason and he then has a new backstory and gets a whole major storyline which is played up in multiple books, and the arc was so good that it even garnered a movie.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy Mittens View Post
    It doesn't help anything, but it occurs to me that Donnas situation bears a resemblance to Jason Todds initially.
    Originally he had Dicks backstory and was basically Dick. Then got killed off and wasn't considered relevent. What brought him back was a major Batman arc which had Batman confronted with a revived Jason and he then has a new backstory and gets a whole major storyline which is played up in multiple books, and the arc was so good that it even garnered a movie.
    In fact, the new backstory for Jason happened before his death.

If I'm not mistaken it was after the retcons of Crisis on Infinity Earths that Jason backstory changed.

Jason died in "A Death in the Family" when he has a new backstory (in fact, part of his death is related to his new backstory).

I liked her being Diana's little sister.
    Her story has been change so much i stop paying attention.

I would like to see her back as Diana's little sister and if she had join Kori in JLO

Honestly, at that point, (and that's just my opinion on the character) I think that DC should start from scrath with a new Donna. Have the current messed one killed but the Goddesses, touched by her suffering and heroic sacrifice resurrect her as a kid, whom they task Diana with educate and help become a great hero.

Right now Donna is in middle of nowhere. Her ties with the Titans and Wonder Woman history in unclear and that becomes a lack of direction for the character, a cipher. We don't know why she does what she does. Right now, she is only a Wonder Woman lite and lacks other traits that set her apart from that role. The fact than she started as a Wonder Woman clone doesn't mean she always had to be a Wonder Woman clone. Her history needs to be restored, totally or partially andstreamed down the best way possible.

Honestly, Donna grew more as character more in Titans than in Wonder Woman and seems like everytime Wonder Woman writers want to write Donna they messed up. Maybe the best for her would be to stay away from the Wonder Woman book.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    Right now Donna is in middle of nowhere. Her ties with the Titans and Wonder Woman history in unclear and that becomes a lack of direction for the character, a cipher. We don't know why she does what she does. Right now, she is only a Wonder Woman lite and lacks other traits that set her apart from that role. The fact than she started as a Wonder Woman clone doesn't mean she always had to be a Wonder Woman clone. Her history needs to be restored, totally or partially andstreamed down the best way possible.

Honestly, Donna grew more as character more in Titans than in Wonder Woman and seems like everytime Wonder Woman writers want to write Donna they messed up. Maybe the best for her would be to stay away from the Wonder Woman book.
    I personally liked the demi-Titan origin for Donna the best. It makes her similar but different.

Uhm...no, it is all just a mess.

1. Make Wonder Woman immortal
    2. Pick a timeframe that works with whatever continuity DC is using at the moment
    3. Diana rescues her as a baby from the fire
    4. Trained by Amazons

Simple and clean.

I would say reboot her without WW as inspiration but at that point you might as well make a new character.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelforce View Post
    2. Pick a timeframe that works with whatever continuity DC is using at the moment
    4. Trained by Amazons

Simple and clean.
    Pretty much this. It also gives an opening where she has a clear difference to Diana: Donna would show what Amazon training can do with a normal human being. So Donna won't be as capable as the other Amazons, but she should still have access to feats of strength, agility, and memorisation, be a very capable martial artist, and be extraordinarily well educated.

That also gives differences between Donna Troy, Cassie Sandsmark, and Diana. Donna is a normal human being with the Amazon training to reach superhuman standards. Cassie is of partially divine origin, but with normal human training. Diana got both the divine origin and the Amazon training.

Diana also gets a very real connection with both of them, and a feeling of responsibility, but they will need help and assistance in entirely different ways.

Incredible Member

4. Trained by Amazons

Simple and clean.
    I'd be very happy with that.

I'm also not opposed to Donna being the sole survivor of a shipwreck who washes up on the shore of Themyscira if they want Diana and Donna to have spent time together as sisters on Themyscira before Diana left for man's world.

If need be, they could eventually reveal that Donna was propelled to the shores of Themyscira by one of the Greek gods for some reason. Although, I'm not really inclined to make superhero backstories increasingly complicated. I don't think that it's entirely implausible for a baby to survive a shipwreck in a universe with a baby alien who survived an exploding planet.

4. Trained by Amazons
    Though thinking back to it, right now that theory makes certain assumptions about Diana that do not fit with the current setup that DC and Wonder Woman has: Diana has had no contact with Themyscira since leaving the island, apart from her short communication by the end of Rucka's run (I think most of us prefer to forget about Robinson's run).

Any time compression can be handwaved, but this is a little trickier to get around.

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    Though thinking back to it, right now that theory makes certain assumptions about Diana that do not fit with the current setup that DC and Wonder Woman has: Diana has had no contact with Themyscira since leaving the island, apart from her short communication by the end of Rucka's run (I think most of us prefer to forget about Robinson's run).

Any time compression can be handwaved, but this is a little trickier to get around.
    Addendum - do away with this 'can't go home' nonsense

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Addendum - do away with this 'can't go home' nonsense
    Wilson seems likely to be doing away with it, but in a way to build off of previous stories in Rebirth. But we need Themyscira to be (initially) inaccessible for the current origins/motivations of Cheetah, Cale and Dr. Cyber to work, and I really wouldn't want to lose those.

If we want to restore Donna's classic origin as close as possible, it will have to be a god who rescues her from the fire and not Diana herself. Diana not being able to get home after leaving Paradise Island doesn't really negatively impact the mythos as long as it has an end point, and hopefully we will be reaching that soon.

Astonishing Member

The thing is I don't think we will change the current origin of Donna until some wide reboot will happen.

It seems pretty likely a big retcon will happen soon, since many things on Doomsday Clock need to be retconned.

So, I wouldn't be surprised if some things of Rucka's run change.