Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Konja7 View Post
    The thing is I don't think we will change the current origin of Donna until some wide reboot will happen.

It seems pretty likely a big retcon will happen soon, since many things on Doomsday Clock need to be retconned.

So, I wouldn't be surprised if some things of Rucka's run change.
    Unfortunately, there is precedent for tweaking the WW mythos and Donna's origins without a wider DCU reboot. Which can be a positive, because DC needs to learn to not reboot all the time or draw so much attention to fixing crappy elements of their lore. Pretending all the crap Abnett has been writing didn't happen doesn't need a lot of fanfare. Just establish in a page through exposition that Donna is Diana's adopted younger sister and call it a day. That doesn't solve what to do with Donna and her whole generation NOW when they are the redundant generation between the JL and the younger kids, but it would make her relationship with Diana less of a headache.

I don't think Doomsday Clock is going to impact too much on the WW side. I don't see any practical reason they should change anything in Rucka's run. Nothing's broken, and getting Wilson on WW was a big get for them, and she's already building off of Rebirth arcs. Stuff like Jason just needs to be ignored, they need to stop using a sledgehammer to kill flies.

Please God no more rebooted origins. Just move forward and repair the relationship between Donna and Diana and then just build from there. Rebooting Donna’s Origin never works and it’s become a bad joke.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I don't see any practical reason they should change anything in Rucka's run. Nothing's broken, and getting Wilson on WW was a big get for them, and she's already building off of Rebirth arcs. Stuff like Jason just needs to be ignored, they need to stop using a sledgehammer to kill flies.
    So much this. Bravo.

Build forward. Stop tearing everything down, just build on what you have.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    So much this. Bravo.

Build forward. Stop tearing everything down, just build on what you have.
    I especially don't want to lose any of the interesting setup for the sake of Donna Troy. Who, as has been discussed, has not ever been a regular fixture in the WW mythos anyway and is going to have an uphill climb with finding interesting directions for her even with a sorted out origin. There is no guaranteed beneficial outcome, so it's not worth doing.

Donna needs to be sorted out elsewhere and her story needs to conform to Diana's Rebirth before she is brought in. And since Diana is one of the first superheroes in this continuity and a JL founder, and not a rookie that doesn't turn up until Batman is on his second Robin, her time as a teenage Wonder Girl can be in place with relative ease.

Here she is!!! Donna Troy Wonder Girl! (I binged TITANS a couple days age to prep for Donna Troy, and gotta say... it's the best superhero show I've seen on TV. It's movie good.)

https://youtu.be/vRqc9a9dNDI
    It's not about 'deserve' it's about what you believe. And I believe in Love.

Titans isn't really a good show yet but the guest star episodes tend to be better than the core plot. Plus Donna's episode seems to be also digging into Starfire's backstory so I'm optimistic for it.

I'm still nervous that they'll try and do the Finch origin as a "shocking twist".

Interestingly, I think they could mix the two main origins and create a new origin with aspects of both. Basically, WW finds a girl left orphaned after a disaster killed her family. She takes Donna to Themiscyra to be raised by the Amazons. The Amazons think she is a normal human and that it was luck that allowed her to survive. So they use magic to imbue her with Amazon powers. But as she gets older they start to suspect she has other powers and that she survived because she was already superhuman as a child. But it's not blatantly obvious until her clothes start to sparkle because she has some power of her own making them sparkle. By this time she's a teen and decides to go and search to find what her origin is, thus becoming a Teen Titan and spending years doing that before she finally discovers that her ancestors were actual Titans.

I'm going to cry out reboot, Reboot, REBOOT again, as Donna has strayed so far from her original character that she's unrecognizable to me, she's Donna Troy in Name Only (DTINO.)

But, I'm also in favor of a massive reboot post Doomsday Clock too. Start at the beginning and have a Batman who started crime fighting a few years ago and just recently was seen with a young sidekick, a Superman who has been operating for about a year, and a Diana who just recently arrived to Man's World, while other superheroes and villains now seem to be popping up much more quickly, somewhat throwing the world into chaos.

This would allow Diana to save Donna Troy from that burning building and take her to the Amazons to be raised, gain superpowers, and eventually form the Titans with Robin and other sidekicks.

It be a bold and ambitious step storytelling-wise, albeit completely impractical business-wise and difficult creatively, so I'll just leave it as a dream in my head about what I'd do if I rebooted the DCU.

(I'm okay with being bold because I really dislike Donna's Amazon Instant Pot origin.)

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    I'm going to cry out reboot, Reboot, REBOOT again, as Donna has strayed so far from her original character that she's unrecognizable to me, she's Donna Troy in Name Only (DTINO.)

But, I'm also in favor of a massive reboot post Doomsday Clock too. Start at the beginning and have a Batman who started crime fighting a few years ago and just recently was seen with a young sidekick, a Superman who has been operating for about a year, and a Diana who just recently arrived to Man's World, while other superheroes and villains now seem to be popping up much more quickly, somewhat throwing the world into chaos.

This would allow Diana to save Donna Troy from that burning building and take her to the Amazons to be raised, gain superpowers, and eventually form the Titans with Robin and other sidekicks.

It be a bold and ambitious step storytelling-wise, albeit completely impractical business-wise and difficult creatively, so I'll just leave it as a dream in my head about what I'd do if I rebooted the DCU.

(I'm okay with being bold because I really dislike Donna's Amazon Instant Pot origin.)
    Reboots are extremely unkind to Donna Troy and I have absolutely zero faith in DC to do well by her with another reboot. She doesn't need a reboot so much as a restoration which can be done with one good story. It just requires writers and editors with the ability to see the character for what she has been and what she could be outside of the nihilistic thought patterns of the current regime.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I especially don't want to lose any of the interesting setup for the sake of Donna Troy. Who, as has been discussed, has not ever been a regular fixture in the WW mythos anyway and is going to have an uphill climb with finding interesting directions for her even with a sorted out origin. There is no guaranteed beneficial outcome, so it's not worth doing.

Donna needs to be sorted out elsewhere and her story needs to conform to Diana's Rebirth before she is brought in. And since Diana is one of the first superheroes in this continuity and a JL founder, and not a rookie that doesn't turn up until Batman is on his second Robin, her time as a teenage Wonder Girl can be in place with relative ease.
    Ideally, what I'd like to see is for Donna's origin and foundation to be sorted out by the Wonder office. Let the current writer and editor figure out how Donna fits into the mythos, so at least it makes sense within the context of Diana's world. Once that is established, you can decide how to proceed with her as a character and send her wherever; put her in Diana's book or send her to the Titans or whatever. But until Donna makes sense and compliments Diana's mythology and story, the character is just dead weight hanging around Wonder Woman's neck and that's a burden Diana doesn't need and Donna isn't worth the hassle.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    Reboots are extremely unkind to Donna Troy and I have absolutely zero faith in DC to do well by her with another reboot. She doesn't need a reboot so much as a restoration which can be done with one good story. It just requires writers and editors with the ability to see the character for what she has been and what she could be outside of the nihilistic thought patterns of the current regime.
    Enh, reboot doesn't really mean a brand new origin story. It could be a reworked version of an old origin.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Ideally, what I'd like to see is for Donna's origin and foundation to be sorted out by the Wonder office. Let the current writer and editor figure out how Donna fits into the mythos, so at least it makes sense within the context of Diana's world. Once that is established, you can decide how to proceed with her as a character and send her wherever; put her in Diana's book or send her to the Titans or whatever. But until Donna makes sense and compliments Diana's mythology and story, the character is just dead weight hanging around Wonder Woman's neck and that's a burden Diana doesn't need and Donna isn't worth the hassle.
    Orlando did an arc between Diana and Artemis so something like that would work for Diana and Donna.

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    IDK, the core of her character is so lost from the last reboot that reintroducing her character "as she should be" seems more likely to resonate with people. I'm more of a mindset that to be restored, she needs to be reset with an origin and motivation more fitting of her original character and then more stories that follow in that vein.

I'm less concerned about the toll of revolving/cascading reboots on Donna and more concerned about her motivations as a hero and individual stemming from her original personality and not the Artemis-lite character she's become.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Please God no more rebooted origins. Just move forward and repair the relationship between Donna and Diana and then just build from there. Rebooting Donna’s Origin never works and it’s become a bad joke.
    Just go back to the original story and tweak it so that Donna was rescued as a teenager.

But the problems go deeper than Donna. Titans have been a problem for years now. DC just can't help but mess up these teams over and over again.

And honestly, I could do without Rucka's retcon. It strays too far from the classic stories -- and what does it add?
    Last edited by kcekada; 11-26-2018 at 09:48 AM.