Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Konja7 View Post
    This is likely an unpopular opinion, but I suspect Donna will need a total reboot. It would help Donna to start as young hero again.

I mean if she's 13, she could be Wonder Girl again. This would allow more interactions with Wonder Woman as a mentor. Also, she can interact with a younger generation of superheros like Damian or Jon (which are in a better position that Donna's current generation of superheroes).
    The idea has some promise. I can see some insisting that a new Wonder character be made over deaging Donna but it would certainly be a means of giving her a new angle with Cassie a proper teenager.
    And if they used the Earth One design it would rid her of that younger clone appearance. https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/...20170427181310

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy Mittens View Post
    The idea has some promise. I can see some insisting that a new Wonder character be made over deaging Donna but it would certainly be a means of giving her a new angle with Cassie a proper teenager.
    And if they used the Earth One design it would rid her of that younger clone appearance. https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/...20170427181310
    Honestly, I don't see a problem with a younger clone appearance. I mean Conner is literally a clone of Superman, while Jon (and probably Damian) is probably similar to a young version of his father too.

I guess a problem can start when they become adults, but a different hairtyle can solve these problems
    Last edited by Konja7; 10-30-2018 at 10:32 PM.

Either way, get her out of Titans. Tired of seeing her as an alcoholic (whether the alcohol actually affects her or not, she still constantly drinks). Actually, tired of seeing DiDio destroy that generation of heroes. Dick has amnesia and is now called "Ric", Wally and Roy were killed off for shock value, Donna is wasting away in Titans, and other than a cameo by Garth, the rest are now off in purgatory.

If she's de-aged to be about Jon's and Damian's age, with a new and better origin, I wouldn't be opposed to that. Join them in Super Sons to become Super Kids (or something similar) going on fun adventures and what not.

This is likely an unpopular opinion, but I suspect Donna will need a total reboot. It would help Donna to start as young hero again.

I mean if she's 13, she could be Wonder Girl again. This would allow more interactions with Wonder Woman as a mentor. Also, she can interact with a younger generation of superheros like Damian or Jon (which are in a better position that Donna's current generation of superheroes).
    I'm not sure about the wisdom of de-aging Donna, given the experiences of what happened to Babs in the New 52. After Simone, she was continually de-aged until she was nigh unrecognisable, and now that Mairghread Scott brings back her old experience it makes for narrative whiplash.

I think one core bit of the trouble is that Diana has no real history of sidekicks, and doesn't have the wide exposure that makes it easy to introduce side characters or sidekicks without them overwhelming Diana herself.

I rather see someone else be the Wonder Girl for Damain's generation. I was fond of Sirraco from the Azzarello/Chiang run and rather see her or someone new step in.

A full reboot could have worked in the new 52 tho. Having her be WG during the 5 year tenure like Dick and Roy would have been ideal.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Honestly? I dont know if she's worth the effort of saving.

I'd think there's probably three different ways to use her that could make her interesting again. I mean, obviously there's more than just three, but that's what *I* can think of.....

You could just grab a simple origin (like the burning building) and write off everything else as mental manipulation. That would just get her back on solid ground for a supporting role in Diana's book or a team title.

You could pick up the post-Infinite Crisis idea that her broken history is the result of Dark Angel messing with her across the multiverse, and put Donna back in her Harbinger role. That offers a unique niche in the DCU that you could really build on and work with, maybe with an eye towards developing Donna for a solo title.

Or, if you wanted to *really* get back to basics, return to the idea that Donna/Wonder Girl is really just a younger, time-traveling Diana. That's something you don't see every day. It'd be pretty unique, there's plenty of room for it in Diana's timeline if she'd already lived a long life on the Island before Steve arrived, and you could explain discrepancies in memories and knowledge as Diana having her memories as "Donna" (obviously an alias to keep the mortals from freaking out) erased to ensure the timeline is secure.
    Everything is worth saving my friend. Just takes the right idea and suddenly they can be a flagship or stable all on their own.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Honestly, I don't see a problem with a younger clone appearance. I mean Conner is literally a clone of Superman, while Jon (and probably Damian) is probably similar to a young version of his father too.

I guess a problem can start when they become adults, but a different hairtyle can solve these problems
    I suppose you hit the nail on the head for why Donnas appearance bothers me. They aged her up and now in terms of appearance she is built and looks identical to Wonder Woman. Which is only worsened by the need to give her the same weapons and sometimes the same costume.

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    Everything is worth saving my friend.
    Surely not everything. Even Diana’s history has been pruned for whatever continuity she’s to suit. Donna’s history might be darling to some, but the fact remains her history has never properly suited any continuity she’s been in.

I think there’s room for a “sister”, but how we get there, and whether that sister resembles previous Donna Troys is up for debate.

Spectacular Member

By this point, Donna Troy SHOULD be (in my opinion) Diana's Dick Grayson. One of the big obstacles to that though was pointed out by someone earlier and that's the lack of history between the two characters. "Adventure Comics" #461 (cover date, Dec. 1978) is about the ONLY Pre-Crisis story I can find that's an actual "team-up" of WW and Donna Troy... and it didn't even happen in the WW book! Donna never really had any major connections to the events in WW and it wasn't until after "The New Teen Titans" book became a huge hit that DC tried to establish much of a connection between them. I think the ONLY time Donna shows up in the actual WW book was issue #287 (cover date Jan. 1982) where she gets kidnaped by Doctor Cyber and rest of the Titans show up to "help" WW rescue her.

Post-Crisis, there seems to be more of an effort to try and (force?) connect Donna to WW, but ironically George Perez's reboot of WW royally screwed that up and we've been spit-balling origins for her now for 30 years! Phil Jimenez and Gail Simone were about the only WW writers I can think of who actually made an effort to establish and expand on the relationship between Diana and Donna, but that was about it. "Rebirth" was a HUGE missed/wasted opportunity to fix all of that and give Donna a simple and understandable origin, but DC clearly said "F - it" and here we are. I don't know what the endgame is as far as the events of "Doomsday Clock" go and how everything will shape up after that story concludes, but they seem to be suggesting that time and history will once again be altered, so here's hoping that they will FINALLY do right by Donna Troy... but I'm not getting my hopes up.

I don't think she's going away (again) any time soon. She clearly has a loyal following. I remember reading all the "When is Donna coming back?" threads on here during the New52 and the outcry at what they did with her character when they finally did bring her back. Her history with the Titans, especially the Wolfman/Perez era, give her a place in the pantheon of DC Comics and it's a shame that no one who has the power to do anything about it seems to give a crap what happens with her. I'm curious to see how she will be portrayed on the "Titans" television series. Watch that closely. Whatever origin or backstory they have for her (if they even give one at all) will tell us a lot about how DC sees the character and how they want the public to see and understand who she is.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy Mittens View Post
    I suppose you hit the nail on the head for why Donnas appearance bothers me. They aged her up and now in terms of appearance she is built and looks identical to Wonder Woman. Which is only worsened by the need to give her the same weapons and sometimes the same costume.
    Just change her hairstyle to be noticably different than Diana's

Astonishing Member

The first step is to simplify her origins.90% of Donna's problems come from her convoluted origin story that has become even more convoluted with each new writer.

Second step is to restore her connection to WW. They barely interact(sadly, this is a problem for everyone in WW supporting cast). Donna should be WW version of Nightwing but she really isn't.

Third, get her out of the Titans Franchise. This is where the other 10% of her problems come from. The current direction of the Titans is not a good one.

Honestly if she ever did appear in Wonder Woman’s movies maybe she can be Wonder Woman’s daughter . Or she was a baby Diana adopted

Quote Originally Posted by The I.A.D.C. View Post
    By this point, Donna Troy SHOULD be (in my opinion) Diana's Dick Grayson. One of the big obstacles to that though was pointed out by someone earlier and that's the lack of history between the two characters. "Adventure Comics" #461 (cover date, Dec. 1978) is about the ONLY Pre-Crisis story I can find that's an actual "team-up" of WW and Donna Troy... and it didn't even happen in the WW book! Donna never really had any major connections to the events in WW and it wasn't until after "The New Teen Titans" book became a huge hit that DC tried to establish much of a connection between them. I think the ONLY time Donna shows up in the actual WW book was issue #287 (cover date Jan. 1982) where she gets kidnaped by Doctor Cyber and rest of the Titans show up to "help" WW rescue her.

Post-Crisis, there seems to be more of an effort to try and (force?) connect Donna to WW, but ironically George Perez's reboot of WW royally screwed that up and we've been spit-balling origins for her now for 30 years! Phil Jimenez and Gail Simone were about the only WW writers I can think of who actually made an effort to establish and expand on the relationship between Diana and Donna, but that was about it. "Rebirth" was a HUGE missed/wasted opportunity to fix all of that and give Donna a simple and understandable origin, but DC clearly said "F - it" and here we are. I don't know what the endgame is as far as the events of "Doomsday Clock" go and how everything will shape up after that story concludes, but they seem to be suggesting that time and history will once again be altered, so here's hoping that they will FINALLY do right by Donna Troy... but I'm not getting my hopes up.

I don't think she's going away (again) any time soon. She clearly has a loyal following. I remember reading all the "When is Donna coming back?" threads on here during the New52 and the outcry at what they did with her character when they finally did bring her back. Her history with the Titans, especially the Wolfman/Perez era, give her a place in the pantheon of DC Comics and it's a shame that no one who has the power to do anything about it seems to give a crap what happens with her. I'm curious to see how she will be portrayed on the "Titans" television series. Watch that closely. Whatever origin or backstory they have for her (if they even give one at all) will tell us a lot about how DC sees the character and how they want the public to see and understand who she is.
    Well, now we know that she'll be in a red, star spangled costume, with tall boots, bracelets, a lasso... and not a shield or sword in sight! Fingers crossed we get an origin that's as good as all this!!
    It's not about 'deserve' it's about what you believe. And I believe in Love.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I don't think that would help, especially not with Cassie coming back with the rest of Young Justice.

Plus explaining how Donna ends up de-aged and part of a generation not her own is just going to make her fictional character biography even crazier than it already is.

Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    The first step is to simplify her origins.90% of Donna's problems come from her convoluted origin story that has become even more convoluted with each new writer.
    Yeah, it's not always easy to pin down precisely where a character starts to go wrong, but that is not the case with Donna. Despite the best efforts of Marv and George given the circumstances out of their control, it was New Titans #50/Who is Wonder Girl? It's been all down hill ever since.

Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    Second step is to restore her connection to WW. They barely interact(sadly, this is a problem for everyone in WW supporting cast). Donna should be WW version of Nightwing but she really isn't.

Third, get her out of the Titans Franchise. This is where the other 10% of her problems come from. The current direction of the Titans is not a good one.
    I think it may be too late in the game to make her Wonder Woman's Nightwing (and considering some of the treatment Dick himself gets, that may not be desirable). But yes, why Rucka didn't write her as being present in Year One is anyone's guess. Did DC actively not want her there? Did Rucka not have any interest in writing her? If so, would it have killed him to throw her onto a few pages and let someone else deal with it? Why didn't anybody tell Abnett?! I hope Wilson uses her, but I don't want the WW book to be hijacked to solve the problems of a character who was accidentally created in another franchise with tenuous connections to Diana's. It shouldn't be dwelt on too much.

I think the Titans should be removed from the Titans franchise lol. I think that should be her main home even more so than the WW book, but man it sucks to be part of her generation right now.

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    Everything is worth saving my friend. Just takes the right idea and suddenly they can be a flagship or stable all on their own.
    Ehh, I mean, you're not wrong, and I know Donna has a loyal fanbase.......but I don't know if saving Donna would be high on my priority list, either, so I can't totally blame DC for ignoring her so much. Though I would've taken the opportunities of New52 and Rebirth to, if nothing else, put her on some solid ground. I mean, you're rebooting so you might as well.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.