Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Amazing Spider-Man#8

spoilers:
    We meet Odessa Drake, a member of the Thieves Guild. She wants the guild to regain a posistion of power so she sends a group of stealthy ninjas out to nab all of the weapons and technologies of the world's heroes, including the Avengers, Stark, Ghost Rider, even Cyclops's optic blaster is stolen.

On the Peter and MJ front, we learn MJ is indeed no longer employed by Stark. What's more, she and Tony don't seem to have parted on good terms and they're quite antagonistic towards one another when Stark contacts Peter to talk about the missing weapons. Peter puts on his mask to talk to Stark and says MJ is his own business manager. After kissing MJ goodbye, Peter walks off, with someone remarking that things don't change with him...guess we'll find out who this is next issue.

Spidey's web shooters are taken too. And in mid-flight! Before Peter can fall to his death though, Felicia swings in and saves him, only to then tell him they have unfinished business and attacks him, shredding parts of his costume with her claws.
    end of spoilers

Interesting issue...loved the comedy with the heroes as they reacted to their missing weapons (especially Ghost Rider), we get answers on MJ's relationship with Stark, and she has a little cliffhanger of her own that'll hold interest over the next two weeks. I'm cautious about the cliffhanger for Spidey though, but I trust Spencer to fix things there.
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 10-24-2018 at 06:19 AM.

wouldn't the optic blaster be useless without the optic beams?

Funny issue loved all of the cameos as well. Also addresses Mj job situation which is nice hope she does not become a journalist though. Black Cat still piss at Spidey I guess

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    spoilers:
    We meet Odessa Drake, a member of the Thieves Guild. She wants the guild to regain a posistion of power so she sends a group of stealthy ninjas out to nab all of the weapons and technologies of the world's heroes, including the Avengers, Stark, Ghost Rider, even Cyclops's optic blaster is stolen.

On the Peter and MJ front, we learn MJ is indeed no longer employed by Stark. What's more, she and Tony don't seem to have parted on good terms and they're quite antagonistic towards one another when Stark contacts Peter to talk about the missing weapons. Peter puts on his mask to talk to Stark and says MJ is his own business manager. After kissing MJ goodbye, Peter walks off, with someone remarking that things don't change with him...guess we'll find out who this is next issue.

Spidey's web shooters are taken too. And in mid-flight! Before Peter can fall to his death though, Felicia swings in and saves him, only to then tell him they have unfinished business and attacks him, shredding parts of his costume with her claws.
    end of spoilers

Interesting issue...loved the comedy with the heroes as they reacted to their missing weapons (especially Ghost Rider), we get answers on MJ's relationship with Stark, and she has a little cliffhanger of her own that'll hold interest over the next two weeks. I'm cautious about the cliffhanger for Spidey though, but I trust Spencer to fix things there.
    I actually think that the person talking to MJ was probably Felicia.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    wouldn't the optic blaster be useless without the optic beams?
    Yep. And that's why it's called a visor. I guess the thieves are just showing off and being total dicks.

This magic stealing better have some real good explanation.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerdman3000 View Post
    I actually think that the person talking to MJ was probably Felicia.
    That’s what I was thinking.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Russ840 View Post
    That’s what I was thinking.
    What about Harry Osborn or Carlie Cooper?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by rward777 View Post
    What about Harry Osborn or Carlie Cooper?
    Carlie would be my preferred option as MJ needs to counter-argue her this time instead of agreeing with her about Peter being too dangerous to be with

BANNED

Awesome issue. When the Thieves' Guild was announced, it conjured images of a classic street level Spidey story. And that's all well and good but I was very pleasantly surprised to see that the Guild's reach and ambitions are much bigger than that. Very cool to have them touching all corners of the MU immediately and having this apparently limitless reach. I expect we'll get more of an explanation of how they're able to do what they're able to do in time but for now, it was a hell of a cool intro to see them doing everything from snatching Ghost Rider's car to the Punisher's guns to Spidey's webshooters.

Wonder who's talking to MJ after Peter leaves? I'm guessing - as others already have - that it's not an enemy but a friendly face, like Carlie Cooper. We'll see.

Looking forward to seeing how Spencer deals with Felicia next issue.

The Avengers and Cyclops cameos give us a VERY precise timeline for this issue. It's definitely before Extermination, and it's also after the first arc of the current Avengers series. That's a very tight timeframe as Extermination has to be before Namor shows up in Avengers, because there's no way the X-Men Red team can still be in their Searebro HQ by then, and they are still there during Extermination. For that reason, it's almost certainly immediately after the finales of X-Men Red and Blue.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Another incredibly fun issue. Love just how big the scope of the Thieves Guild's targets are, and gave me several big laughs. This is a good way of making Spider-Man important without being too important, and is the perfect opportunity for some "Spider And Cat Save The Day" fun.
    Odessa's design looks a *bit* too much like one of the Dora Milaje to me that it was a little distracting, but not a huge problem. Also more Peter and MJ goodness, and I have no idea who that person talking to MJ is, but I'm excited to find out. Jumping off others it's probably friend rather than foe, if it's Felicia that'll be really cool, and if it's Carlie that'll be really neat to see how Spencer handles her, and he did bring back Norah so anything's possible.

You know i got to give it to the Thieves' Guild, it takes balls to steal all the guns from the Punisher, that gave me a LOL moment right there.

So imagine that BC and Spidey will have it out (kudos for Spencer for not just sweeping that under the rug BTW) and then they have to team up to go after Guild.

Though i wonder if her reappearance is due to the DLC that recently came out (and i need to play!)

Quote Originally Posted by Hulkout42 View Post
    Though i wonder if her reappearance is due to the DLC that recently came out (and i need to play!)
    Probably a fun coincidence, although I'm surprised they didn't have any kind of Mr. Negative one-shot or something Spider-Man related with him in it when the game launched.

Wow I honestly really loved this issue. I can't really add to anything anyone else has said but I did want to say that Tony and Peter's phone call with Mary Jane was honestly both hilarious and disappointing. I don't know why, but I'm kinda getting tired of Tony's attitude towards Peter. It really started with the Regent story during the Parker Industries era. I kinda love them butting heads but I wish it was more of a friendly rivalry of sorts or at least a little less hateful.

Astonishing Member

Add me to everyone else thoroughly enjoying the issue and the creative team on the book.