Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Best single-issue Spider-Man stories

There's been a list of the Top 50 Graphic Novels and Top 50 one-shots, as determined by CBR readers.

Spider-Man has had a respectable showing.

50. Maybe Next Year (Peter Parker Spider-Man #33)
    49. With Great Power Comes Great Coincidence (Deadpool #11)

36. Spider-Man VS Wolverine
    31. Confessions (Ultimate Spider-Man #13)
    10. The Kid Who Collects Spider-Man (Amazing Spider-Man #248)
    5. Amazing Fantasy #15

Other notable comics include Daredevil #7- a battle with Namor that clearly influenced "Nothing Can Stop the Juggernaut" in 14th place.

What do you think of these results, and what are your favorite single-issue Spider-Man stories?

I've gotta say I'm pleasantly surprised to see Spider-Man VS Wolverine, and "Maybe Next Year" make the list.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Spider-Man vs Wolverine, by Owsley (Priest) & MD Bright.

Astonishing Member

Do you have the link to the full list, please? Amazing Fantasy #15, The Kid Who Collects Spider-Man (The Amazing Spider-Man #248) and Confessions (Ultimate Spider-Man #13) deserve to have made it.

Spider-Man singles:

Finale (Peter Parker: The Spectacular Spider-Man #310) which recently came out.
    The Conversation (The Amazing Spider-Man Vol. 2 #38)
    The Gift if that counts as a one and done (The Amazing Spider-Man #400)
    Doctor Octopus is Dead (Avenging Spider-Man #15.1)
    Gwen Stacy, Spider-Woman (Edge of Spider-Verse #2).
    Last edited by Batman Begins 2005; 10-30-2018 at 06:05 AM.

Peter Parker: Spider-man #75 was pretty remarkable as a single issue. It was the climactic finish to tbe clone saga and I'd argue you could probably skip the saga and just read this one issue. I would recommend ASM 400 though, as well as the lead up to this in ASM 418 as well as the following issue in Spectacular that deals with Peter and MJ moving on from their loss.

If the clone saga were a movie trilogy this is exactly what Id envision as the finale. It would be a perfect and very cenimatic experience on film.

BANNED

Kid Who Collects Spider-Man by far.
    Thia story along with ASM 400, have a distictive effect on me since i am a nurse.

Incredible Member

"The Scorpion Takes A Bride (But Not The Way You Think!)", Amazing Spider-Man Annual #18
    "The Wedding", Amazing Spider-Man Annual #21
    "Fathers And Sins", Amazing Spider-Man #365
    "Throw Spidey From The Train", Untold Tales Of Spider-Man #5
    "On The Trail Of The Amazing Spider-Man", Untold Tales Of Spider-Man #7
    "Deadly Is Delilah!", Amazing Spider-Man #414
    "A Night On The Town!", Untold Tales Of Spider-Man Annual '96
    "Shock Follows Shock", Untold Tales Of Spider-Man #11
    "The Legion Of Losers!", Spectacular Spider-Man #246
    "The Boy Next Door", Untold Tales Of Spider-Man #16
    "Eight Arms To Hold You!", Untold Tales Of Spider-Man #19
    "The Wages Of Conquest", Spider-Man Unlimited #16
    "Through The Looking Glass", Spectacular Spider-Man #256
    "Bad Men On Campus", Untold Tales Of Spider-Man #25
    "Make Mime Marvel!", Peter Parker Spider-Man Vol.2 #38
    "Sandman: Year One", Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man Annual #1
    "To Have And To Hold", Sensational Spider-Man Annual #1

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vortex85 View Post
    Peter Parker: Spider-man #75 was pretty remarkable as a single issue. It was the climactic finish to tbe clone saga and I'd argue you could probably skip the saga and just read this one issue. I would recommend ASM 400 though, as well as the lead up to this in ASM 418 as well as the following issue in Spectacular that deals with Peter and MJ moving on from their loss.

If the clone saga were a movie trilogy this is exactly what Id envision as the finale. It would be a perfect and very cenimatic experience on film.
    Personally, I'd throw in the outcome of Mayday being rescued and returned to the Parkers to give the thing a fairy tale/ MCU ending. MCU already uses elements of MC2 in Ant-Man.

Astonishing Member

The majority of the Stan Lee and Steve Dikto stories in Amazing Spider-Man are single issues stories and those are great,and thats just the first stories of Amazing Spider-Man.

"Venom!" (The Amazing Spider-Man #300)
    Last edited by K7P5V; 11-01-2018 at 12:34 AM. Reason: Made a correction.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Sensational Spider-Man Annual #2 by Fraction and Larocca. Truly great stuff, and it was really lovely that Spencer and Ottley referenced it in ASM #1.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

This one is highly underrated: "Heroes Don't Cry" by Paul Jenkins and Mark Buckingham in Peter Parker: Spider-Man #35.

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

Haven't read it in a while but I have a lot of fondness for Sensational Spider-Man #28 "My Science Teacher is Spider-Man."

While not everyone appreciates the writing of Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa or the art of Clayton Crain, I liked the concept and found that they pulled it off well.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Personamanx View Post
    Haven't read it in a while but I have a lot of fondness for Sensational Spider-Man #28 "My Science Teacher is Spider-Man."

While not everyone appreciates the writing of Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa or the art of Clayton Crain, I liked the concept and found that they pulled it off well.
    I really liked that one! Art and writing. I didn't like the followup, though, where the kid gets all dark and sad.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Greg Burgas of Atomic Junk Shop has his take on the list, and these stories.

50. “Maybe Next Year” in Peter Parker: Spider-Man #33 (2001). This is fine. It’s a pretty good story, but like far too much Spider-Man stuff, it traffics in really maudlin stuff. Writers can’t seem to write about Uncle Ben without really troweling on the gooey sentiment (and this from someone who is probably more sentimental than is good for him). But it’s still pretty good.

49. “With Great Power Comes Great Coincidence” in Deadpool #11 (1997). This is a very fun story, and depending on what’s higher ranked than it (I haven’t been keeping up, so this is the first time I’m seeing the entire list), it might deserve to be higher. Deadpool and Blind Al travel through time … into the pages of an old issue of Amazing Spider-Man. It works really well. Joe Kelly’s run on Deadpool is lauded, but while it’s a bit overrated, this issue is excellent.
    36. Spider-Man versus Wolverine (1987). I guess this counts, even though it’s the culmination of the Hobgoblin saga (the extremely messy and terrible culmination, but still). But it’s quite good, so it’s cool.
    While this tied into ASM at the time, it certainly works as a standalone. The decision to reveal Ned Leeds as the Hobgoblin had also not yet been made.
    31. “Confessions” in Ultimate Spider-Man #13 (2001). Hey, remember when Bendis was good? I enjoyed this entire series, and this issue is really good, so sure, why not here?
    10. “The Kid Who Collects Spider-Man” in Amazing Spider-Man #248 (1983). I’ve never been a big fan of this story, because much like the ending of Toy Story 3, it dives so deeply into schmaltz just to make you cry, and I dislike such manipulation (I don’t mind crying over fiction, but I don’t like being so blatantly manipulated). It’s as if Roger Stern thought, “How can I make the nerds weep?” and worked backwards from there. It’s not a terrible story, just like Toy Story 3 isn’t a terrible movie, but the praise heaped on it is a little much. It’s definitely not a Top Ten All-Time Story
    I disagree.
    5. “Spider-Man!” in Amazing Fantasy #15 (1962). Top Five, really? I mean, it’s a good story, and the origin of one of the best comic characters ever, but let’s go over this again: “Important” DOES NOT NECESSARILY EQUAL “best.” Sigh. Although this is good, don’t get me wrong. It’s just not Top Five Of All Time.
    I disagree.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Astonishing Member

Greg Burgas: No, just no re his views on AF#15 and TASM #248.