Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Spider Sense is Tingling Dangerous's Avatar

Default I Predict Sony will yank Spidey out of the MCU after FFH..

Venom is now a financial success, Tom Holland signed for 6 films, 5 with Marvel Studios.
    That means he will still owe Sony a film, meanwhile Venom (financially speaking) is a successful launch pad for Sony's Spider-Verse.

Why would they want to continue to share Spidey with MS if they could get Tom Holland to re-sign for another 3-6 films.... ?
    This is how I see it going, thoughts?
    MY POWERS HAVE RETURNED TO ME!! I HAVEN'T LOST THEM!! I'M STILL SPIDER-MAN!

Not sure I would use the word "yank" to describe a theory about Sony honoring their contract agreement with Marvel and then deciding not to renew it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    Not sure I would use the word "yank" to describe a theory about Sony honoring their contract agreement with Marvel and then deciding not to renew it.
    You're probably in the minority.

I know nothing but it'd garner them a ton of bad press. Not sure the financial take would be worth it in the long run, when they could just as easily cameo Tom, and build a "west coast" universe with Venom, Silk, Black Cat, Carnage, Kraven, and others. You just need Spider-Man to help launch. Fans will understand and roll with it.

Well, I dont know the particulars of the Sony-Disney deal, but as I understand it Sony retains final creative say on Spidey's MCU appearances, gets a cut of the revenue from Spidey's appearances even if it's not a Spider-Man movie (like Civil War and Infinity War), and still have sole rights to basically everyone who isn't Parker, including Miles and Gwen, etc.

So they can let Spidey roll up in an Avengers movie and make some money for almost no effort on their part. And because the MCU generates a stupid amount of hype and box office (far more than even the most successful Sony Marvel film), that Avengers appearance will help increase ticket sales on the next Spidey solo, which means Sony will make even more money.....

Again, I don't know exactly how their deal works, and as far as I know the details have never been released to the public. But it seems to me that removing your property from something as successful as the MCU is pretty terrible business. That's a brand you want to be connected to! Especially when the MCU is making your studio cash for nothing.

Venom made some solid money (500 mil?) but the MCU? That's a billion+ dollar business.

Oh, also, if Sony breaks contract with Disney, that doesn't mean Holland is going to give Sony those other movies on his contract. That means (I believe) that Sony will have to negotiate a new contract with Holland. And who's to say that Holland wouldn't demand more money in a new contract? Sony could re-cast, but how well do you think that'd go over?

Also, if Sony backs out of their deal I'd assume that they'd have to pay for breaking that contract. So not only would they be dropping potential revenue by removing themselves from the MCU, they'd have to pay to do it? Doesn't seem wise to me.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Yea Sony shouldn’t let the success of Venom go so much to their heads. Venom is a very popular character. There was no doubt it would make money. A lot of the other movies they’ve announced for their cinematic universe on the other hand really don’t give much confidence especially on their own.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Well, I dont know the particulars of the Sony-Disney deal, but as I understand it Sony retains final creative say on Spidey's MCU appearances, gets a cut of the revenue from Spidey's appearances even if it's not a Spider-Man movie (like Civil War and Infinity War), and still have sole rights to basically everyone who isn't Parker, including Miles and Gwen, etc.

So they can let Spidey roll up in an Avengers movie and make some money for almost no effort on their part. And because the MCU generates a stupid amount of hype and box office (far more than even the most successful Sony Marvel film), that Avengers appearance will help increase ticket sales on the next Spidey solo, which means Sony will make even more money.....

Again, I don't know exactly how their deal works, and as far as I know the details have never been released to the public. But it seems to me that removing your property from something as successful as the MCU is pretty terrible business. That's a brand you want to be connected to! Especially when the MCU is making your studio cash for nothing.

Venom made some solid money (500 mil?) but the MCU? That's a billion+ dollar business.

Oh, also, if Sony breaks contract with Disney, that doesn't mean Holland is going to give Sony those other movies on his contract. That means (I believe) that Sony will have to negotiate a new contract with Holland. And who's to say that Holland wouldn't demand more money in a new contract? Sony could re-cast, but how well do you think that'd go over?

Also, if Sony backs out of their deal I'd assume that they'd have to pay for breaking that contract. So not only would they be dropping potential revenue by removing themselves from the MCU, they'd have to pay to do it? Doesn't seem wise to me.
    From what I understand .... (I could be wrong) These are the details-

-Tom Holland's contract is for 6 film appearances as PP/SM.
    -The deal between Sony & MS sharing Spider-Man lasts for five films, meaning Tom still owes Sony one more Spidey film after FFH which may not have to involve MS.
    -Sony makes no money from the Avengers movies.
    -Marvel makes no money from the solo films, which are funded by Sony but MS make for them, so that they fit with their universe.

Sony partnered with MS because the Spider-Man brand was not performing where it should have been. So they used MS to reboot the character and restore audience trust. Now that the brand is restored, if they had Tom Holland, and they have Venom.... And the immense popularity of Spider-Man, why would they need to share the cream with MS any longer?

Holland Spider-Man and Hardy-Venom in the same film makes 1 billion easy, that's on the level of MCU money.

Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    Yeah any Spider-Man fan would say "yoink"