Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

Default The Gifted episode 5 - "afterMath" (Spoilers)

Episode summary: "As Caitlin and Thunderbird struggle to save the life of a mutant injured in the Inner Circle's chaotic liberation of a psychiatric hospital, they discover clues to the identity of the powerful mutant Polaris and Andy were sent to retrieve. Meanwhile, as Jace joins up with the Purifiers to chase down the escaped mutants, he comes dangerously close to colliding once again with the Mutant Underground."

Hope ratings are ok given the 2 week break... well better than just "ok" really, hopefully they go up.

This is it folks , the dawn of "Twist"! I am very much looking forward to this one.
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

Perhaps its best if we leave discussing the show in the main Gifted thread? Doesn't seem to be too many people talking about this season at the moment.

I'm really enjoying Thunderbird this season. Seems to be getting closer to his comic counterpart.

Twist seems batshit crazy imo. Lorna seems to see that.

Erg was the MVP this episodes, and I love him so much. #cornflakes

The birth of Blink! Really enjoying Clarice as well.

Someone said Jace Tuner was the Stacey Dash of this show, and its hilariously true/sad.

I do wish they would start picking up the pace, and seems like its finally going to happen in the next episode.

Looking forward to the Polaris and Reeva showdown!

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Soulsword323 View Post
    Perhaps its best if we leave discussing the show in the main Gifted thread? Doesn't seem to be too many people talking about this season at the moment.

I'm really enjoying Thunderbird this season. Seems to be getting closer to his comic counterpart.

Twist seems batshit crazy imo. Lorna seems to see that.

Erg was the MVP this episodes, and I love him so much. #cornflakes

The birth of Blink! Really enjoying Clarice as well.

Someone said Jace Tuner was the Stacey Dash of this show, and its hilariously true/sad.

I do wish they would start picking up the pace, and seems like its finally going to happen in the next episode.

Looking forward to the Polaris and Reeva showdown!
    Well we can talk about it in the main thread sure as long as people don't mind spoilers

Thunderbird was OK this episode not amazing to me but ok

I love Twist, not sure if Lorna does notice that about her maybe, maybe not. I feel like Twist could be "Lorna on steroids" this season basically

Erg's PoV made sense to a degree although it was sort of like "giving up" too much for me. I also feel like 90% of what Morlocks believe aligns them actually with the Inner Circle and not the Mutant Underground so I'm eager to hear more from them about why they dislike or disagree with Inner Circle

Yeah that's absolutely crazy we never heard anyone call her Blink until now, I didn't even realize that

Well... yeah the thing with Jace is a bit confusing due to his ethnicity but I think it has a lot of potential, I don't exactly "root for" the Purifiers but they at least bring much-needed conflict and excitement to the show

Yeah this episode pacing was better, episodes 1 and 2 were sleepers though honestly

I don't think there will be a showdown my guess is that was misleading editing and there will be a training/Danger Room session where they use powers for like sparring and testing but they put it right after another scene with Polaris and Reeva merely differing on a course of action

My thoughts on episode:

It was good! I really really enjoyed the Inner Circle scenes, got bored with the Mutant Underground scenes (although the one with Lauren speaking about her bond to Andy was pretty decent), and thought the Morlocks scenes were alright. Purifiers scenes were also very exciting for me, so right now in this show I'm pretty much looking for more Inner Circle and Purifiers stuff

The new character Rebecca/Twist is pretty enigmatic, at first she was totally "out of it" and it was shocking really like can she even speak etc. But once Andy offered to let her hang around in the normal world she acted SUPER well adjusted actually, it was a SHOCKING transformation.

We also saw the hints of her supposedly "inner darkness" but I actually was rooting for her to some extent to mess up the police car. Looking forward to and curious about more from her and the direction she is taken in over time

Jace and Purifiers was mind boggling to me in a lot of ways, and it's actually a big step down for him after being a big agent with Sentinel Services. However, it was cool he has a code of conduct and he doesn't like the sort of excess brutality the Purifiers would otherwise do. He tried explaining it to them in a way they could relate to, in terms of how public will view their actions and they want to get more sympathy for their side. So that's good.

It looks like the Purifiers are going to be attacking the Mutant Underground but that seems to be more a matter of convenience. I can't help but believe their true target would surely be the Inner Circle (if they knew about them) and it could end up leading to something happening to Polaris' baby Dawn.

I actually started to think that escaped inmate woman mutant who could create orbs of light would turn into a new love interest for Marcos but evidently not. Getting those M brands on their face really does come off as a brutal and irreversible event but Erg was right, they all agreed to it, and for reasons

My biggest problem with Morlocks is just their "sewer base" looks kinda fake or low budget to me somewhat... but I'll try to ignore that. Also Erg's voice is just so damn deep and overly theatrical it kind of takes me out of the moment a bit when he is talking, it's just "too much" really. But what he said made a decent amount of sense and was kinda funny especially the cornflakes bit

Let's see what else even was there... oh right now not only has Caitlin tortured a mutant nearly to death, now she lies and lets another mutant simply die. What a heroic nurse she is. Give it up for Caitlin everybody, round of applause

The bonding between Twist and Andy was really heartwarming actually I enjoyed it, and the way Andy seems like Twist is a bad influence on him getting him to do more chaotic stuff with his powers has good potential for drama too

Cool episode I'd probably give it like a 8/10 I guess
    Last edited by AbnormallyNormal; 10-30-2018 at 06:52 PM.
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

This episode was a step up in a number of areas such as social commentary. It was a thematic improvement as well with a breather from some of the interpersonal drama that made previous episodes hard to watch, they also put in an effort of making the Inner Circle less depressing this episode. I think that was one of the reasons they brought in Twist. They also took a step back from the Lorna and Andy will they or won't they that was over played in previous episodes.

Not a perfect, but a solid episode. Twist is clearly going to bring some dark humor to coming stories. Lets see how well the next two episodes reclaim a sense of momentum.
    Last edited by jmc247; 10-30-2018 at 09:29 PM.

I haven't seen it yet! I need to see Episode 4 again, and 5. (Via Comcast "On Demand.") I will definitely comment when I get to watch. The 8 pm time slot makes it hard sometimes to watch it live. I love this show!

Yeah this show is losing me.

Done w the Strucker story line and the Jase story line.

The Best There Is berserkerclaw's Avatar

yeah i dont like Struckers or Jace either. i do like the morlock Blink parts though. i hope the plot picks up though. i dont wanna wait the whole season for what Reeva builds. i do like how they didnt stretch out rebeccas reveal and keep it a mystery that would have bugged me.
    X-Men Forever

This season has (somehow) been even better than the last. Can't wait to see where things go from here. Like the new mutant and her being a bad influence on Andy, that's going to be a fascinating dynamic.