Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post The state of DC Writers???

Outside of Snyder, Morrison's Lantern run, are there any other writers worth reading at the moment?

Snyder's Batman/Superman series is fun and feels high stakes while being pretty self contained, and his Justice League run has been Epic.

All of Bendis' stuff has fallen flat, as those of us familiar with his Marvel work warned you about. We really were happy to see him go. King's Mini-Series are great, but his series have been terrible, today's Batman release...i won't say anything except thank goodness it is almost over.

I have heard good things about DeConnicks Aquaman run, but most of the focus of the next big things and all that have been centered on Bendis crap, which makes me fear for any non-established writer's work being messed with by his desired changes.

Just curious about others thoughts on this.
    If you are going to refute, you need to do your own research.

BANNED

The best writers DC has going for it right now are maybe Christopher Priest and Grant Morrison. Scott Snyder, Brian Michael Bendis, and Geoff Johns are probably on the downward slope of their careers as comics writers. Their work just isn't enthusing people as it did in the past. Then, DC is filled to the brim with a bunch of average to poor writers, like James Tynion, Robert Venditti, Steve Orlando, Scott Lobdell and so on, and then some writers from Marvel that I'm not sure Marvel fans even wanted, like G. Willow Wilson. The DC audience doesn't seem particularly enthused with them, either.

I think the comics industry is in an interesting phase for a number of reasons. One is that there are basically no superstars anymore...or hardly any. I guess people talk about Hickman and that guy doing Carnage or Venom (I don't really know, I don't follow Marvel very closely). In the 90s, it was artists like McFarlane and Lee. Then, in the 00s, writers started to gain prominence like Millar, Bendis, and Johns. Now...there are still some big name writers around, I guess, but not like there used to be, and it seems like there isn't a lot of really big name talent like there used to be--talent that will move lots of units on name alone--and you're definitely not seeing it at DC. The best DC's got is Bendis, Tom King, and Scott Snyder and...that's really not good considering some of the work they've been putting out and how fans have been reacting to it.
    Last edited by Vampire Savior; 11-20-2019 at 04:08 AM.

Astonishing Member failo.legendkiller's Avatar

Scott Snyder?!?!
    it's a matter of opinion. I'm skipping everything related to his work, his damned Dark Multiverse, BWL etc... and I'm also tired of him and his always new mega super fantastic next big event.

Priest, Lemire, Johns (if he want to still be a writer) are the ones I'd like could have more room.

King and Bendis are disappointing me lately, and Morrison... is Morrison with his pros and cons.
    I can't bear Tomasi on batman titles, instead I love him when writing Supes.
    Jurgens is wasted on that Ric thing.

Anyway I think the real issue is in editorial.

I often get the vibe that DC has two main writers forming the direction of the company (Snyder, Bendis) and everyone else writes their stories to fit into it. It's far from the first time the major companies have done this, but it feels like it often kills the individuality of some books.

Quote Originally Posted by gambit2051 View Post
    Snyder's Batman/Superman series is fun and feels high stakes while being pretty self contained, and his Justice League run has been Epic.
    Snyder isn't doing Batman/Superman. That's Joshua Williamson.

Quote Originally Posted by Vampire Savior View Post
    and then some writers from Marvel that I'm not sure Marvel fans even wanted, like G. Willow Wilson.
    Considering how loved the character is and how well it does outside of the direct market, Marvel would take back Wilson on Ms. Marvel in a heartbeat.
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

Haven't had any interest in anything from Snyder in years, unfortunately. I'm a big fan of DC's two most controversial writers, Bendis and King (HiC aside) and have reached a point with Mark Russell that I will check out just about anything he does. Sam Humphries is killing it over on Dial H, as is Rucka on Lois Lane and Fraction of Jimmy Olsen. I'm as big a fan as ever of Morrison but I do need to reread his GL run, it lost me in the past couple of issues. Geoff Johns has seldom written less but Doomsday Clock has been excellent and I've heard great things about Shazam. I've heard great things about Tom Taylor but I've never actually read anything of his as of yet. Finally, I've really been digging what Si Spurrier has been doing on the Dreaming too.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

Extraordinary Member

Admittedly, I'm really loving a lot of the books that spun out of Bendis' projects when he came to DC. I haven't enjoyed books by Greg Rucka (Lois Lane) or Matt Fraction (Jimmy Olsen) this much in years.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Best writers are Yang, Rucka, Fraction, Mark Russel, Sam Humphries (on Dial H and Green Lanterns), Morrison, Johns, Christopher Priest, Tynion, and Si Spurrier. They’re all putting out work I’m enjoying.
    Right below them are Snyder, King, KSD, Willamson, Bendis, Orlando, and Venditti.
    Then you’ve got the mediocre to bad like Lobdell, Jurgens, Glass, Abnett, etc.
    Last edited by Vordan; 11-21-2019 at 09:05 AM.

Grant Morrsion's Green Lantern and Geoff Johns' Doomsday Clock are DC's best series right now. Jeff Lemire's Question and Si Spurrier's Hellblazer have both had very promising first issues. Although it's not exactly "current", I enjoyed Dan Abnett's Aquaman and the buildup to Drowned Earth. Scott Snyder's Justice League is a decent popcorn-style story, same with James Tynion's Justice League: Dark. Everything else has been rather unappealing.
    Last edited by Citizen Kane; 11-20-2019 at 05:05 PM.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

For me, it looks like this:

DeConnick
    Priest
    Jurgens
    and I don't mind Bendis on Young Justice ATM.

Not a fan of Snyder at all.
    Grant Morrison has finally disappeared up his own arse.
    Geoff Johns doesn't write anymore.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

For me the best writers at DC that I would consider buying their series comes down to Morrison, Tomasi and Priest. I liked some other writers' Rebirth stories more than their current stuff, like Yang's New Super-Man or Venditti's Hal Jordan & The GLC. I think the real problem with DC at the moment is its editorial and executive direction.

Quote Originally Posted by married guy View Post
    For me, it looks like this:

DeConnick
    Priest
    Jurgens
    and I don't mind Bendis on Young Justice ATM.

Not a fan of Snyder at all.
    Grant Morrison has finally disappeared up his own arse.
    Geoff Johns doesn't write anymore.
    TGL seems like one of the most straightforward Morrison takes in a long time. Feels easier to read than his Batman or Action Comics runs, and nowhere near as convoltued as Final Crisis.

BANNED

Tom k and Brian B are hit and miss for me Snyder tries to be too ambitious or Morrison lite that it feels forced and shoved down the throat,right now my favourite writer in DC is Robert Venditti,the always great Geoff Jones,Peter tomasi,Joshua Williamson,Dan Abnett,scott lobdell.
    Last edited by LP22; 11-21-2019 at 08:44 AM.

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Terrifics is really good and I think Lemire did a damn good job with it. Yang is doing really good with it I hear also. Haven't read his run on it.

KSD's Aquaman is pretty good and I'm enjoying it a lot.

Far Sector and the Last God started impressive so far with their debuts.

Tomasi's Tec isn't his best work (especially when compared to his Batman and Robin) but it's one of the only DC titles that have been consistently good as of late.

I'd also really recommend anything done by Priest, Morrison, Snyder, and Lobdell. They may not always write something that I'm particularly interested in. But whatever it is, it's still usually always good.

Dial H for Hero has been really good too

I only read DC, and I think DC is a disaster at the moment. I'm enjoying some of the Wonder titles -- Jimmy Olsen, Young Justice and Wonder Twins -- but those feel like weird outsiders in a lineup built on silly stunts and gimmicks.