Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by whiteshark View Post
    Very much agreed.
    While i miss the art of Jon Romita Jr or Paul Pelletier in Marvel comics i think there are more that enough great artist´s at Marvel.
    Besides the ones you mentioned i would add as well:
    Joe Bennet:Immortal Hulk.
    Jesus Saiz: Doctor Strange.
    Mike Deodato:Infinity Wars.
    Yep, love those guys too. Saiz's Strange, in particular, is knock your socks off gorgeous. And Bennet's Hulk gets better and better every issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    I like the artwork on the new Punisher series. Fits the tone perfectly.
    Agreed. Szymon Kudranski is awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    I'd also add Daniel Acuna as someone whose art is absolutely great. Of course, Marquez does pretty work as well.
    Yes on both counts!

Astonishing Member

Regarding Acuna, I've been enjoying him a lot more than I had expected but I prefer him whenever he gets to draw as many different characters as he can get to. When he was in Falcon Captain America's corner of the Marvel Universe unfortunately he didn't click enough for me.

Mighty Member

The ultimate test of an artist for comics: drawing children.

Seriously, children is comics have some strange proportions.

Baby Thanos Member catbellysqueezer's Avatar

I must have much lower standards or have just been lucky with my comic choices because I love the artwork in all of my comics (Cosmic Ghost Rider, Immortal Hulk, Venom, Ant-Man and the Wasp, Infinity Wars: Sleepwalker, Avengers, etc.)
    Baby Thanos

Astonishing Member

Dc imo has more of a unified look for its mainstream books, and I like that

Over the last few years, since ANAD or thereabouts, there have been many new marvel books I didn't buy into coz the art imo was not up to the standard I woukd expect nor to my liking

That's not happened in dc except on Harleys book

Tastes vary but for me I've felt some marvel books looked very poor, though I'd be pressed to name them as I was put off quickly they didn't make enough impact for me to remember and marvel have had a lot of short runs so I've lost track, luke cage and iron fist comes to mind as an example

That said some have looked great like thor before the current volume which kept me looking in despite my dislike of the writing, currently I don't like it but that's more the colour palette making things indistinct for me

But generally I don't recall a time I thought the art was this patchy at marvel
    Last edited by kilderkin; 11-01-2018 at 04:11 AM.

Astonishing Member

IMO I think there are better artists overall at DC. Marvel has some greats too but book for book I would go with DC. Thankfully the company snagged Jesus Saiz from DC because his art is gorgeous. Sometimes I flip thru the books and I think to myself how could Marvel hire this person. Happens a lot more here than DC.

Hopefully Larroca can start drawing superheroes instead of Star Wars. I think his stint on SW is finished.

Daniel Acuna is definitely a good one. I also personally find Kenneth Rocaforts art to be pretty nice as well

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by kilderkin View Post
    Dc imo has more of a unified look for its mainstream books, and I like that
    They definitely do, which is why I find the art at DC largely uninteresting. There's an intentional same-ness or "house style" to it.

Some other Marvel artists I really like right now are Mike Hawthorne (from Duggan's Deadpool and now Superior Spider-Man), Cory Smith, Ario Anindito (both from Weapon H), Jorge Molina (X-Men Blue), Yildiray Cinar (Weapon X), and Ed McGuinness (Avengers).

And I have to give a shout out to Greg Land. For all the shit he gets, I personally never have a problem with his stuff. I like his layouts and his overall style is appealing to me. He's not among my own favorite artists but I've sure never picked up a Land-illustrated book and wish it had looked better or felt the art let the book down.

Dc Comics has had better art since 1992, when the Image guys quit Marvel and left their artistic bull pen empty.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    They definitely do, which is why I find the art at DC largely uninteresting. There's an intentional same-ness or "house style" to it.

Some other Marvel artists I really like right now are Mike Hawthorne (from Duggan's Deadpool and now Superior Spider-Man), Cory Smith, Ario Anindito (both from Weapon H), Jorge Molina (X-Men Blue), Yildiray Cinar (Weapon X), and Ed McGuinness (Avengers).

And I have to give a shout out to Greg Land. For all the shit he gets, I personally never have a problem with his stuff. I like his layouts and his overall style is appealing to me. He's not among my own favorite artists but I've sure never picked up a Land-illustrated book and wish it had looked better or felt the art let the book down.
    the house style is a double edge, for me it works

gotta say ed McGuiness work on avengers I found rather bland and lacking detail

I also like Greg lands stuff, sure he uses a lot of references and even copy paste tactics, but I really enjoy his books so I guess that's all that really matters as a consumer

it takes all kinds and marvel does have more range than it used too to be fair

I like stuff that looks like stuff.

If you have a style I probably don't like you.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by kilderkin View Post
    the house style is a double edge, for me it works

gotta say ed McGuiness work on avengers I found rather bland and lacking detail

I also like Greg lands stuff, sure he uses a lot of references and even copy paste tactics, but I really enjoy his books so I guess that's all that really matters as a consumer

it takes all kinds and marvel does have more range than it used too to be fair
    Mc Guiness didn't make any good impression on me with comparison to whichever artist i choose during Hickman's Avengers (or before ANAD) .

Same goes to current Thor's comics , after Dautermann .

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

I have quite a few current favourites working at Marvel right now...Asrar, Yu, Garney, Pichelli, Pepe Larraz to name a few, so...I have no issues with the quality of art. However, I do have a MAJOR issue with my favourite artists doing a book for only 4-6 issues before they are removed to do another book and being replaced by someone not as aesthetically pleasing.

I like art consistency when it comes to my comic books so if you insist on shuffling and reshuffling your artists on and off books after only a few issues then I will just have to stop buying said books.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Witchfan View Post
    Dc Comics has had better art since 1992, when the Image guys quit Marvel and left their artistic bull pen empty.
    No disrespect to the Image guys but I think Marvel's managed to restock their artistic bullpen just fine during the intervening twenty six years.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Personamanx View Post
    I feel that he's always been fairly overrated. His structure, and composition have always been fine but his panels have always worked better as illustrations rather than as a series of images to convey action. He can draw a nice splash, but he loses all energy and cohesion between panels. That might not always be true, but it's what I found in much of his work that I have read and it isn't something I regularly seek out.
    Yes. he's a very, very good technical illustrator. Storytelling isn't his strong suit.