Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Baby Thanos Member catbellysqueezer's Avatar

Can someone post examples of bad Marvel art?
    Baby Thanos

Astonishing Member

While I wouldn't call him a bad artist per say, I would say Sanford Greene had a some artwork that I found off putting. For example in the ultimates picture below, Spectrum's face is just off. Her right eye is literally up in her frontalis muscle, and even the planes of the face is off.

Marvel has plenty of decent artists that I like, but, they also have a helluva lot of art that I really don't like at all. Too many books with stuff that is barely small press/indy good let alone, premiere comic publisher in the world good.

That's the only real problem I have with Marvel's art in general. Being the #1 comic company in America, they really should have the best looking art in all their line pretty much most of the time.

I'm mostly a DC guy anymore and they aren't immune to bad art either, it just seems like they have had a more consistent stable of quality artists for awhile now while Marvel's has dipped quite a lot in recent years.

At least that's how it seems to me. I've always been an artists first* kind of fan so I do pay attention to stuff like that even if I don't read as much anymore. (* after characters at least )
    Batman - Daredevil

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by catbellysqueezer View Post
    Can someone post examples of bad Marvel art?
    The problem with that is ...One person's "Liefeld" is another person's "John Byrne".

Case in point...I don't care at all for Alred's work and would never buy anything he's illustrating but he obviously has a huge fan-base and following of people who revere his work.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I bought the 2018 Silver Surfer annual. Really dug Araújo's Moebuis influenced work. Whenever Mike Allred does a book for Marvel, I pick it up. What was the last one? That Infinity crossover one shot?

Not too much else at Marvel has gotten my attention in some time.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    The problem with that is ...One person's "Liefeld" is another person's "John Byrne".

Case in point...I don't care at all for Alred's work and would never buy anything he's illustrating but he obviously has a huge fan-base and following of people who revere his work.
    I feel the same way about Allred. I find his work to be flat and uninteresting but I know a lot of people would disagree. One thing for certain is that his run on the FF paired with Matt Fraction as writer had poor sales. His Silver Surfer run with Slott did a bit better. But if you want something with an epic feel , he wouldn't be the artist to go to.

I had a wide tolerance for Art it hats be very bad for me to get annoyed.