Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

There's a germ of an interesting idea here. Like the idea that Diana's so selfless she doesn't give herself time to dwell on her own problems COULD be an interesting thing to reveal/explore.

But I'm not sure about this execution. Feels too extreme and paints it as almost pathological.

It reminds me of that JLA issue Chuck Austin wrote where Wonder Woman had an abrupt and out of nowhere break-down after a fight because she was so terrified she almost died even though...she's Wonder Woman.
    It came across like an effort to inject depth/pathos from someone who knew almost nothing about the character, so he latched onto one idea and bent the story over backwards to justify it.

What's so stupid about it is that there are several things that King could have used instead, with far better results and foundation.

• Guilt over failing to help people—that's a core part of her relation with Cheetah after Rucka's second run.
    • The loss of contact with Themyscira and thus her original family. She's trying to build a new one, but it takes time and effort.
    • Her constant work on being a good example, touching people's hearts, and changing Man's society for the better, and she feels like she barely makes a dent.

The chances of him knowing anything about her more recent stories are slim to none. He didn't even know that Steve Trevor was back in her life as her romantic partner when he wrote her guest spot in Batman, hence trying to use her as a sexual tease. If he didn't know that basic info at the time, chances are not good he'll know about her current dynamic with Cheetah, or the details of her contact with Themyscira.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

BANNED

knowing Tom king after what he did to booster what it means is that she was traumatized after watching her mother menstruate.

Over on scans_daily, I saw this quote from Tom King about about Wonder Woman.

Superman went through this. Batman went through this. Wonder Woman went through this, and I started thinking about the lives they lived. I started thinking about Batman watching his second son die and holding him in his arms. I started thinking about Superman. When he’s 21, he has to give up his identity. I think about Wonder Woman, raised to be a warrior trying to bring peace and her finding compassion in having to always be the strong one. Batman and Superman are always whining. You never see her whining. I wanted to write about that, and how they got there. They didn't get there by being the silent, tough types. They got there by going through something, by leaning on people, and after getting that help, helping people.
    Reading that, I can see a bit better where he comes from with his Diana session. Trouble is, I think he has left out a lot of stuff that ought to be on camera for the reader to follow that train of thought. He has identified an issue that most (all?) Wonder Woman writers have shied away from, but instead of working his way slowly towards it he basically pulled out one possible way to handle it in-story, all in one go.

So now I've gone from what-was-he-thinking to that-was-poorly-presented. And given the constraints of the story, I doubt King has the storytelling room to connect Diana's dots.

I would think that a major trauma Diana might be facing is the fact that she spent the entire early portion of her superhero career (5-15 years, who knows?) with completely false memories concerning her personal history, her relationship with her mother, the Amazons, and the gods - memories imposed on her by people she was supposed to be able to trust. I think that would really mess somebody up.

Admittedly, I may be biased because I hate this being a barnacle attached to Wonder Woman's backstory. They could have gotten rid of it as part of Rebirth; instead they decided to keep it there, a useless imposition on her life story that merely reflects the Azarello storyline that they've retconned out of existence but needlessly kept as a sort of virtual-reality Holodeck false background.
    Doctor Bifrost

"If Roy G. Bivolo had seen some B&W pencil sketches, his whole life would have turned out differently." http://doctorbifrost.blogspot.com/

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    I think she's speaking about Hercule's assault on Themyscira. At least it's how I read this the first time.
    No, that happened well before Diana was born.

What totally mystifies me is that Wonder Woman, Batman and Superman all get their butts handed to them by Harley Quinn!

HARLEY. QUINN!

What the hell?!!!
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post

What totally mystifies me is that Wonder Woman, Batman and Superman all get their butts handed to them by Harley Quinn!

HARLEY. QUINN!

What the hell?!!!
    TELL me about it! She is powered by the plot and authorial contrarianism.
    Doctor Bifrost

"If Roy G. Bivolo had seen some B&W pencil sketches, his whole life would have turned out differently." http://doctorbifrost.blogspot.com/

Lobdell had Artemis Grace easily deal (even handle) Harley in the Outlaws crossover with the Suicide Squad. But somehow, the Trinity gets schooled by her.

On top of that, Harley is supposed to be a member of the upcoming Birds of Prey film. I don't know why, but she is. Not as an antagonist, but AS a member of the group.

No, that happened well before Diana was born.

HARLEY. QUINN!

What the hell?!!!
    Yeah, I was reading that scene as she bounced away and I'm thinkin' 'What the hell was Diana doing?'

Nothing, apparently. Absolutely nothing.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelforce View Post
    Yeah, I was reading that scene as she bounced away and I'm thinkin' 'What the hell was Diana doing?'

Nothing, apparently. Absolutely nothing.
    How does Harley even get to use the lasso properly? If anything, Bruce should have been using the lasso on her. She's holding the damn thing.

And she'll break his neck with it? What, she's super strong now too?

And "She'll break his neck before you break the lasso." DUH! Superman is faster than a speeding bullet, but suddenly he's slower than Harley Quinn. This smacks of Amazons Attack lameness where the bad guys keep Superman at bay with a knife to someone's throat.

I was shaking my head when she took down Booster like a punk, but that scene in #2 was just flat out stupid. Because yes, even if you DID get Batman's kryptonite [because honestly Clark, how naive are you?] with speed and strength and hunters senses there is no way Harley just runs away from Wonder Woman laughing.
    Last edited by brettc1; 12-07-2018 at 07:00 PM.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Fantastic Member VonHammersmark's Avatar

I'd also like to point out that the lasso is unbreakable. I get it, Superman is super mega uber strong, still, he can't break Wonder Woman's lasso.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by VonHammersmark View Post
    I'd also like to point out that the lasso is unbreakable. I get it, Superman is super mega uber strong, still, he can't break Wonder Woman's lasso.
    Sure,that's a given. The lasso is unbreakable.

Harley Quinn ISN'T.

One burst of heat vision to her hand and she's squealing and dropping the lasso. One super speed move and either Clark or Diana is knocking her out with their pinky.

And as for not being able to create a sonic boom inside the old building, who cares?! The speed of sound is over 1000 feet per second. Harley is, what, ten feet away? Even subsonic,eEither Superman or Wonder Woman could get there in one hundredth of a second [ less than half the time it takes a human to BLINK] and knock her clean out.

LAME!

It's bad enough DC has been turning Harley into their answer to Deadpool, crap like this just makes an already irritating character (IMO) outright insufferable.

Fantastic Member VonHammersmark's Avatar

Sure,that's a given. The lasso is unbreakable.

Harley Quinn ISN'T.

One burst of heat vision to her hand and she's squealing and dropping the lasso. One super speed move and either Clark or Diana is knocking her out with their pinky.

And as for not being able to create a sonic boom inside the old building, who cares?! The speed of sound is over 1000 feet per second. Harley is, what, ten feet away? Even subsonic,eEither Superman or Wonder Woman could get there in one hundredth of a second [ less than half the time it takes a human to BLINK] and knock her clean out.

LAME!
    Nothing is a given when it comes to Wonder Woman unfortunately, least of all her super speed but also her ability to fly, she's in danger of losing that as well. And King seems to think that Superman can break her lasso