Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default I don't get this Wonder Woman scene from Heroes in Crisis #2

Can someone please explain it to me?

Astonishing Member

I guess it means Diana has some emotional conflicts, because she was exposed to violence from a pretty young age. Also, Diana seems to feel ashamed or guilty, because she avoid that situation.

However, it's a little difficult to understand what's the situation of Hypolita with the lions.

I think King wrote her as someone who would avoid talking about her own problems, prefering to let other people tell theirs.

The moment in her childhood she describes is when she developed that habit.

Fantastic Member VonHammersmark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Konja7 View Post
    I guess it means Diana has some emotional conflicts, because she was exposed to violence from a pretty young age. Also, Diana seems to feel ashamed or guilty, because she avoid that situation.

However, it's a little difficult to understand what's the situation of Hypolita with the lions.
    She’s describing the door handle, it had a lion and an amazon warrior etched into it

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by VonHammersmark View Post
    She’s describing the door handle, it had a lion and an amazon warrior etched into it
    Thank you very much for the clarification. I hadn't understand that part.

I think she's speaking about Hercule's assault on Themyscira. At least it's how I read this the first time.

Astonishing Member

This was the most interesting and confusing scene in the comic so far. I'm not sure what she's talking about though.

Hippolyta being wounded by a golden arrow might be a reference to "Flashpoint: Wonder Woman and the Furies #1" (June 2011).

It's Tom King.

I just ignore it (just like I'm ignoring the entire Heroes in Crisis Being Killed For No Good Reason Except For Controversy / $'s).
    Last edited by Gaelforce; 11-02-2018 at 01:23 PM. Reason: language, please

Yea. Had to read it a couple of times to get it: Diana's internal, emotional conflicts about violence and feeling like her suffering is nothing compared to the suffering of others. She would prefer to ignore/bury her pain and help others that she feels are in more need instead. Maybe the way it was worded it didn't come across the first time?

Quote Originally Posted by donnafan View Post
    Yea. Had to read it a couple of times to get it: Diana's internal, emotional conflicts about violence and feeling like her suffering is nothing compared to the suffering of others. She would prefer to ignore/bury her pain and help others that she feels are in more need instead. Maybe the way it was worded it didn't come across the first time?
    I think it's even more out of that there is very little support in Diana's earlier characterisation for that particular interpretation of her mental health. At least the Clark Kent/Superman monologue goes to the core of how the character has been constructed, and Batman has always been driven by guilt.

But Wonder Woman repressing her feelings or fears? Where did that come from?

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    I think it's even more out of that there is very little support in Diana's earlier characterisation for that particular interpretation of her mental health. At least the Clark Kent/Superman monologue goes to the core of how the character has been constructed, and Batman has always been driven by guilt.

But Wonder Woman repressing her feelings or fears? Where did that come from?
    It comes from nowhere because king doesn't understand anything about Diana and could not be bothered to do some reserches.
    So he wrote "something", that is supposed to be a deep insight in her character, but is ultimately hollow because he has nothing to say about a character he simply doesn't know.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WonderSpace View Post
    It comes from nowhere because king doesn't understand anything about Diana and could not be bothered to do some reserches.
    So he wrote "something", that is supposed to be a deep insight in her character, but is ultimately hollow because he has nothing to say about a character he simply doesn't know.
    That's likely the correct "interpretation" of the scene.

Everyone's already said it in their own words, but just to hear myself talk (or hear myself type?), she's basically saying that while she does indeed have problems that she could stand to hash out, she would rather other heroes she feels needs the help more get it in her stead. She needed her mother's help once but found out that her mother at the time needed help more than she did. So she didn't bother her. And kept not bothering her from then on. Its like she has issues she knows she could benefit from exploring t but doesn't want to be an inconvenience.

Not the worst characterization he's had for Diana before, and certainly not the worst in this series thus far. But at the same time it does indeed come out of nowhere. That's been King's thing as of late, just throwing in things for characters that were never there before. Not to say characters can't have new mental/emotional developments but he doesn't do anything to build them up as new things. That's why Booster Gold is suddenly borderline insane out of nowhere.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 11-01-2018 at 10:36 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Fantastic Member VonHammersmark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Everyone's already said it in their own words, but just to hear myself talk (or hear myself type?), she's basically saying that while she does indeed have problems that she could stand to hash out, she would rather other heroes she feels needs the help more get it in her stead. She needed her mother's help once but found out that her mother at the time needed help more than she did. So she didn't bother her. And kept not bothering her from then on. Its like she has issues she knows she could benefit from exploring t but doesn't want to be an inconvenience.

Not the worst characterization he's had for Diana before, and certainly not the worst in this series thus far. But at the same time it does indeed come out of nowhere. That's been King's thing as of late, just throwing in things for characters that were never there before. Not to say characters can't have new mental/emotional developments but he doesn't do anything to build them up as new things. That's why Booster Gold is suddenly borderline insane out of nowhere.
    I think somebody messed with Booster's head, and Harley's as well, possibly Poison Ivy who's totally alive btw, using some herbal hallucinogenic or something