Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

"Death of Superman" is kind of like "The Dark Knight Returns" for me in that the original stories themselves are fine, but their legacies kind of piss me off. I'm glad the Death of Superman happened. I regret that it's happened over and over and over again like it's mandatory. Superman has an 80-year history, yet in other media he suffers from having the same stories being retold.

I wonder if Transformers fans hate having to deal with this *)#$ when Optimus Prime dies over and over again.

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    "Death of Superman" is kind of like "The Dark Knight Returns" for me in that the original stories themselves are fine, but their legacies kind of piss me off. I'm glad the Death of Superman happened. I regret that it's happened over and over and over again like it's mandatory. Superman has an 80-year history, yet in other media he suffers from having the same stories being retold.

I wonder if Transformers fans hate having to deal with this *)#$ when Optimus Prime dies over and over again.

What other Superman stories would you like to see as movies?

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    What other Superman stories would you like to see as movies?
    On the animation side, I think "Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow" would've been a lot of fun. Bruce Timm is not very involved in DC animation anymore unless it's one of his pet project (we've seen some homers and strikeouts here...), but he did work with Alan Moore's stuff before, and did pretty well with it, so I guessed he could've done ok with this story.

On the live action side, I think Action Comics 300 was adapted really well in animation twice before, in both Justice League and Justice League Action. I think it could've made for a good live-action movie, that can address the issue that non-fans say Superman has it too easy but not actually making Superman a lesser hero in any sense.

Those are my picks off the very top of my head. There were some bronze age stories I wanted to mention, but I'd have to think a bit more about them before trying to justify them, and I've already shirked some work duties enough today...

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Pocket universe Superboy comes back to life and is fully grown and takes over for the dead Superman. Giving him back his pre-Crisis history.
    Assassinate Putin!

I’m going to compare the death of Superman saga to Batman: Death in the family. Both stories had huge impacts on the character and their world and are treated a landmark moments in the protagonist’s superhero careers. Now Death in the family itself is a terrible god awful story. I mean at this is the story where Joker became an Iranian ambassador. That being said I’d never want it to get retconned because I think the legacy of the comic has overall been really good for Batman just as I think DOS has had a really positive legacy on Superman. And the Death and Return of Superman saga while very much flawed is still a damn good read imo. Whereas again Death in the family is still very much a terrible comic.
    Last edited by OpaqueGiraffe17; 11-06-2018 at 08:32 PM.

Anyway, for what I’d do differently
    -Jonathan Kent does not survive his heart attack.
    -I haven’t read the whole Lex Jr and supergirl stuff outside the trades I read for this story, but I’m not a fan.
    -The real Clark’s return was kinda dumb, maybe have Batman and the league throw his corpse into a Lazarus pit or something. Eradicator accidentally reviving him was really contrived.
    -Kara Zor-El is added to the 4 mysterious Supermen

Kon93

It is firmly in that time period,and that's ok,timestamping stories sometimes is a good thing,and it was and still is a good thing for this story.

As much as I hated BvS…. I think I would go THAT route.

1) Doomsday is somehow connected to Luthor. He's an expirement, a clone, SOMETHING that actually ties into a long standing rivalry. The whole 'mysterious stranger walks into town and does what nobody else could for over 60 years was lame to me even then. It certainly didn't help that a few months later they did the same thing with Batman.

2) Kryptonite is somehow involved. The idea of superman being punched to death always feels off. Sure they've retconned and retooled enough explainations and weaknesses in there to give it 'some' merit... but whenever I talk to a non-fanboy about the Death of Superman or explain the set up for Snyder's Justice League Movie... the first thing they say is 'Superman needs Kryptonite, he doesn't lose in a fist fight. THAT'S the audience you want to get... the ones that know about Superman (because he's literally the most famous fictional character ever)… but don't know 'the current continuity'.

As much as I hated BvS, they actually DID hit each of those boxes.

Astonishing Member

If I was starting from scratch and not bound entirely by what was done in 1992, but simply by needing to tell a story involving Superman's death and launching some spin-offs out of it.

I'd have taken my cue from the original "Last Days of Superman" story in the 1960's, but with Lex behind it. It'd come off now as a Morrison's "All-Star Superman" rip-off but if you read the 1960's story you'd see that Morrison only perfected the idea, he didn't originate the concept..

Basically you'd have Superman discover that his powers were weakening. This would have run over the course of several months shown mostly as little moments where Superman's heat vision cut off, he misjudged his strength, he had trouble getting up to speed, etc. Eventually he'd become worried and have Emil Hamilton and Kelex run test at the fortress which would show that Superman had contracted a Kryptonian virus which was effecting his ability to store solar energy. Whatever reserves he had built up over his time on Earth were nearly depleted and his recent power failures had been the result of his using power faster than he could replenish it. The bottom line is that Superman could live for decades if he limited his use of his powers, but if he continues his regular activities he'll face increasing risk of overtaxing his system fatally.

Over the next two months I'd have the titles follow Superman's life while he confers with Lois, his parents and select JLA members about his stepping back from full-time heroing. Batman would be pessimistic that Superman could stay out of the life. Diana would offer to intercede with the Gods for him, despite Clark's hesitation with either magical or divine means. The Kents would be hesitant- wanting to tell Clark to retire but not quite willing to ask him to put himself first. Lois would push for him to let go of Superman and accept being "just Clark", although she'd have the same problem as the Kents with outright telling Clark that he'd be wrong to save himself at the cost of letting anyone else be hurt. And while this was going on we'd also see Professor Hamilton quietly consulting varous scientific experts.

In an oversized Superman #75 we'd see Superman alongside Supergirl (Matrix) and the Justice League confront a major threat to Metropolis. Despite his diminishing powers Superman would refuse to stand down and the threat would be large enough that even the combined might of the others would be unable to stop it in time without Superman's involvement. The issue would of course end in Superman's death. The threat would be seen as a last ditch effort by Lex Luthor from beyond the grave and the league would agree to not reveal that fact when asked by Lex Jr and Supergirl who'd argue that LexCorp didn't deserve to suffer for the crimes of an already dead man. But just as he was dying Superman would have discovered that Lex not only masterminded the attack on Metropolis but that he was also behind the virus, had the cure and was posing as Lex Jr.

The Funeral for a friend issues would have been similar except that Superman's last will and testament would be included. This would largely be certain tasks left to his super-hero friends. Batman would be given Superman's collected evidence on Lex's criminal ties and be asked to tie up any remaining loose ends. Wonder Woman would be asked to maintain the history of Krypton by having the information maintained at the Fortress added to the Amazon records. Dick Grayson would be asked to help Lois and the Kents to clean up any evidence tying Superman to Clark Kent. The last page of the arc would be a glimpse of someone in a Superman uniform in shadow.

Unlike DC did in 1992 I wouldn't have told the press that Superman would be back. I'd have kept Action Comics going with the front that it'd be rotating Superman-related features (Daily Planet, Metropolis SCU, Supergirl). And I'd have launched some mini-series to fll up the "holes" left in the schedule by the missing Super-titles.

Then roughly a year later the various projects would lead to a revivied Adventures of Superman title (variation on Kon-El), Man of Steel (Kelex in an android form supported by STAR and Professor Hamilton), Supergirl (continuing Superman's numbering) and Action (with an armored Iron Man-ish Lex Luthor Jr). Kal-El/Clark's return would be built up to in the background with the plan be for him to return for Superman/girl #100.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Clark View Post
    Unlike DC did in 1992 I wouldn't have told the press that Superman would be back. I'd have kept Action Comics going with the front that it'd be rotating Superman-related features (Daily Planet, Metropolis SCU, Supergirl). And I'd have launched some mini-series to fll up the "holes" left in the schedule by the missing Super-titles.
    Did they? I seem to remember them teasing that the books would "finish" and all that and even had a gap in publication to make it feel even more like it was all ending. I don't recall them telling press/etc that he'd be back (not right away, anyway).
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    Did they? I seem to remember them teasing that the books would "finish" and all that and even had a gap in publication to make it feel even more like it was all ending. I don't recall them telling press/etc that he'd be back (not right away, anyway).
    I remember news stories the day Superman #75 came out where Dan Jurgens or Mike Carlin stated that "of course" Superman would be back. And, I think, he may have even stated it would be within a year. And while he stated what we all knew about DC not killing the golden goose, I also recall thinking it would have been better if they'd acted more like they did with the Electric Superman bit later and implied that this was going to be a long term status quo going forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Clark View Post
    I remember news stories the day Superman #75 came out where Dan Jurgens or Mike Carlin stated that "of course" Superman would be back. And, I think, he may have even stated it would be within a year. And while he stated what we all knew about DC not killing the golden goose, I also recall thinking it would have been better if they'd acted more like they did with the Electric Superman bit later and implied that this was going to be a long term status quo going forward.
    Interesting! I missed those interviews, so I was totally caught up in everything.
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

BANNED

I would adapt the saga as an tv series (probably animated).

Kon93

Quote Originally Posted by Minerboh View Post
    I would adapt the saga as an tv series (probably animated).
    How long would you have it last? Mini series or season(s) long?