Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Boomerang (Fred Myers) Appreciation (2019)

NOTE: This thread is to serve as continuation of the previous "Boomerang Appreciation Thread" which can be found at
    First appearance: way back in Tales to Astonish #81 (July 1966) when he fought The Incredible Hulk.

It was in the late 1970s/early 1980s, he started to tangle with Spider-Man.

welp. that's one ugly costume.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    welp. that's one ugly costume.
    Indeed it is lol.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Astonishing Member

Superior Foes of Spider-Man was brilliant.
    Last edited by Batman Begins 2005; 02-19-2019 at 12:20 PM.

To be honest I find Boomerang boring and think he is by far the weakest part of Spencer's run. I think you could literally put just about any other B or C List Spidey villain into this storyline and they would be more entertaining to read about than Boomerang is. Sorry Boomerang fans but it's just how I feel about the character and his current push.
    Last edited by Celgress; 02-19-2019 at 08:10 PM.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    To be honest I find Boomerang boring and think he is by far the weakest part of Spencer's run. I think you could literally put just about any other B or C List Spidey villain into this storyline and they would be more entertaining to read about than Boomerang is. Sorry Boomerang fans but it's just how I feel about the character and his current push.
    This post doesn't feel very appreciative of Fred.

I've always had a soft spot for Boomerang. One of the earliest Spidey issues I got as a kid had Boomerang. Ever since something... clicked. I hope to own every Boomerang issue one day. Anyways, I remember when Superior Foes of Spider-Man was announced and a lot of people rolled their eyes at the idea of the book. Especially the fact that Boomerang was the main character. "Who would want to read this?" Was said throughout the internet. For me, a book focused on Spidey's C and D-listers sounded amazing. When it came out some of those some people took back everything they said about the title. It's one of my favorite comic series of all time.

When Spencer was announced on Amazing Spider-Man I was already excited. When Fred Myers was set to be Peter's roommate? I couldn't believe Fred was getting this push (I still can't, honestly). I read a lot of negativity online for this idea too. However a lot of people changed their tune when Amazing Spider-Man 7. Hope Spencer continues making Fred shine (the lack of Fred since ASM 7 saddens me though at least he's appearing in FNSM).

TL;DR: i can understand people not being fond of Fred. He's.... an acquired taste. However, did you read Superior Foes of Spider-Man? If you haven't I'd reccomend you do! It's great!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MP95 View Post
    This post doesn't feel very appreciative of Fred. ...
    Well, I've been told these threads are not for respect but rather debate so I'm giving it a whirl.

should peter and fred kiss? yes or yes?
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    should peter and fred kiss? yes or yes?
    I couldn't care less, Fred is boring. Now, should Peter and Harry kiss that's the real question. Let's resolve these decades of sexual tension.

Amazing Member

Well, I've been told these threads are not for respect but rather debate so I'm giving it a whirl.
    Fair enough. Have you read Superior Foes of Spider-Man though?

Fair enough. Have you read Superior Foes of Spider-Man though?
    I have and I still find him boring. I do like the Female Beetle though along with some of the others. Sorry, it's just how I feel.

Amazing Member

I have and I still find him boring. I do like the Female Beetle though along with some of the others. Sorry, it's just how I feel.
    No need to apologize. Different strokes for different folks. However, Fred Myers isn't phased by your insults. Whatever you hurl at him comes right back at ya.

No need to apologize. Different strokes for different folks. However, Fred Myers isn't phased by your insults. Whatever you hurl at him comes right back at ya.
    No doubt it does.

I'll now leave this thread to those who you know do appreciate the character. I've said my piece no need to be a jerk.

Amazing Member

No doubt it does.

I'll now leave this thread to those who you know do appreciate the character. I've said my piece no need to be a jerk.
    You aren't being a jerk. Poking fun at Fred is part of the charm of Boomerang in general.

Kind of subjective but do you think Boomerang has an accent? He was born an Aussie but was raised in the states, iirc. I have a similar question about his former teammate the Rhino.