Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default You're in charge of directing a new Spider-Man trilogy or anthology...

How would you go about it? Let's say that I am directing a new Spider-Man film franchise in the vein of the Avengers films (not really a trilogy or a set anthology), my first three films would be based on the early Spider-Man year (late 60's/mid-early 70's).
    The city I once knew as home is teetering on the edge of radioactive oblivion

1.) Foundation Myth (High School) - Rhino, Kingpin, J Jonah Jameson

2.) College Years/Romance Troubles- Doc Ock, Green Goblin, Gwen, Black Cat (the latter pair battle for Peter's & Spider-Man's affections on the sidelines by end of film Gwen becomes Ghost Spider)

3.) Adult/Partnership/Mentor - Kraven, Venom, Miles, Ghost Spider (as Gwen wins out over Felicia for Peter's significant other in the last move)

And if I did a fourth -

4.) Superior Spider-Man
    Last edited by Celgress; 11-01-2018 at 04:20 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

My new trilogy would probably pick up after the current Spider-Man trilogy. I think that will lay the proper foundation for a Spider-Man who is more assured and experienced, as well as having faced many of his most famous rogues. I think that this trilogy would focus on Peter's college years.

1) Tombstone/Hammerhead/Silvermane/Mister Negative Gang War - Freshman Year of College
    2) Morlun - Internship (at OsCorp, meets Norman and Harry) Between Sophomore and Junior Year/set the stage for Doctor Octopus
    3) Sinister Six (with Doctor Octopus) - Looking for a job away from OsCorp/set the stage for Green Goblin

And if I did a fourth afterwards...
    4) Green Goblin - Finally working as a science teacher
    With Great Power, Comes Great Responsibility

Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

I'm going to assume this will be a few years down the line. I'm loving the MCU Spider-Man, but the stuff they've skipped (the origin, Venom) allows them to go in a different direction in the future.

My ideas...

Web of Spider-Man) This would be the origin, but it's a little different because we see the stories of other people (Crusher Hogan, Max Modell) and spend more time with Peter before he discovers his powers, and before he learns that with great power comes great responsibility. A potential villain would be Doctor Octopus.

Web of Spider-Man 2) This would be the Alien Costume saga, combined with Spider-Man taking on a crime figure associated with Uncle Ben's murderer. If the rights to Kingpin are available, that would be one way to go. Otherwise, it could be Tombstone or Mister Negative (which might be a good parallel with Spider-Man losing control thanks to the Alien Costume.)

Web of Spider-Man 3) Venom gets an entire film as a villain who has similar powers to Spider-Man, and knows his secret identity. It might go in a different direction as Peter learns more about Brock, and realizes that he can make his enemy into a better man.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

I'd skip the origin/spider-bite. It's been done to death.

I would place him firmly in the college years. Young enough to be a bit immature, but old enough that he can skip classes and work and family without a truant officer hunting him down.

Spectacular Member

I'd carry on the MCU spidey

1 - introduce Harry Osborn, Peter's roomate at college maybe? main villain Sandman - end reveal that Oscorp is responsible for creating Sandman during testing to recreate the Super-soldier serum - Norman discovers spider-mans identity
    2 - Oscorp's chief scientist, Otto Octavius is working on super-soldier serum, Norman rushing to human trials, on himself no less, him causes lab accident (fusing octopus arms to Otto) and creates Green Goblin, green goblin/norman goes after Spider-man/Peter so they can use his body/corpse to recreate how he got his powers - ends with big battle in Queens (similar to Ultimate Death of Spider-Man but with Peter severly injured not dead)
    3 - adaptation of Ultimate Six

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfang View Post
    How would you go about it? Let's say that I am directing a new Spider-Man film franchise in the vein of the Avengers films (not really a trilogy or a set anthology), my first three films would be based on the early Spider-Man year (late 60's/mid-early 70's).
    Thinking about it more, after seeing the new Wonder Woman trailer, a 1960s approach could work to distinguish the next take.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Mighty Member

I'd like the next set of films to be based on a more classic 616 Spider-Man status quo. An elderly Aunt May, 20 something Peter in college and working for JJJ and the Bugle, model/actress Mary Jane established as Peter's LI or confidante, etc. Use that status quo as a jumping off point and tell new stories with character dynamics/relationships already established. Similar to what comic writers might do when starting a new 616 run
    Last edited by Spider-Tiger; 12-08-2019 at 04:52 PM.

I'd start the first movie with May and Jonah Jameson sr married, they're on a dinner table discussing things with Jonah jr (has no reason to sell the Daily Bugle) and Marla Madison Jameson sitting on a dinner table, one of the topics they discuss is Peter's (newly graduated from the Bachelor program of physics) employment.

Marla takes Peter to Professor Morris Sloan of the same college she works in to give him a job in one of the labs, and the good professor is happy to have a bright graduate student like Peter work under his supervision.

The first film antagonist is John Jameson as the Man-Wolf, Peter assists in the process of curing the former astronaut from his ailment after Spider-Man successfully subdues him from causing further havoc.

Jonah Jameson is still his usual critical self when talking about Spider-Man, but he is a bit more lenient this time in appreciation of the man's efforts saving the news man's dear son.

Peter is discrete and preservative of his secret, he is as suave and confident as Peter the way we see him in the best written comics without that extra shyness Sam Raimi presented in his version of the character. Spider-Man cracks jokes when the situation allows for it, when he's upset and is talking to someone he's annoyed of or doesn't like, but he takes saving people and holding back antagonists seriously and maturely.
    Last edited by Speed Force League Unlimited; 12-12-2019 at 05:42 PM.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Tiger View Post
    I'd like the next set of films to be based on a more classic 616 Spider-Man status quo. An elderly Aunt May, 20 something Peter in college and working for JJJ and the Bugle, model/actress Mary Jane established as Peter's LI or confidante, etc. Use that status quo as a jumping off point and tell new stories with character dynamics/relationships already established. Similar to what comic writers might do when starting a new 616 run
    So would this just be a continuation of the MCU status quo?
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    So would this just be a continuation of the MCU status quo?
    I was thinking more along the lines of a soft reboot rather than a direct continuation. ( Kind of where I was hoping they would take the franchise after the Raimi trilogy).

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Tiger View Post
    I was thinking more along the lines of a soft reboot rather than a direct continuation. ( Kind of where I was hoping they would take the franchise after the Raimi trilogy).
    They seem to keep writing themselves into corners.
    In the Raimi trilogy, they killed off the five big bad guys and Peter's best friend.
    In the Webb films, they killed off the only person Peter hangs out with.
    The MCU films just unmasked Spider-Man.

I'm not sure you can go with a generic continuation. There are going to be some other questions. Do you recast everyone? Do you make sure that the new cast members are the same ethnicity as the previous portrayers of the characters?
    Do you focus exclusively on new villains? What history does Spider-Man have with characters who have been different in different universes (Does Aunt May have to look like Marisa Tomei? Did Peter work with Jonah or did Peter learn about Jonah's existence when he got outed on TV?)
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Spider-Man: the Clone Trilogy

First movie is loosely based on the original '70s story, although I think I like the idea of the Jackal wanting to bring his daughter back, rather than the "obsessive teacher" thing. Ends with Peter thinking the clone is dead, but the after credits show that the clone lives.

Second movie is essentially the 90s Clone Saga boiled down to its basics: Ben comes back to NYC because of an Aunt May illness or something; we get Ben as Scarlet and Peter as Spidey learning to be brothers, the mystery of Kaine, and a clone of the Jackal suped-up by the Carrion virus.

The final installment utilizes the concept of Abby-L, the Gwen-version of Kaine, who functions as the villain in this one and infects Peter with the Carrion virus early in the film. Ben and Kaine have to put aside their differences to save Peter; in the end, the three of them stop the Gwen clone from infecting all of NYC with the Carrion virus.

-Pav, who just kinda came up with these off the top of his head...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details