Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    All-New Member

Default Is MARVEL TEAM-UP (1972) Worth Reading?

Hi everyone!

I recently started reading Spider-Man from the beginning. I'm a few dozen issues into ASM and really enjoying it so far! I'm going to include the spin-off series' (Spectacular Spider-Man, Web of Spider-Man, etc.) and the events involving Spider-Man (Secret Wars, Infinity Gauntlet, etc.) in my reading order, reading issue-by-issue by order of release.

But there's a problem. A 150-issue-sized problem: Marvel Team-Up. Marvel Team-Up started in 1972 and almost every issue is about Spider-Man. It ran for 13 years and had 150 issues. Despite this, I almost never hear it mentioned anywhere. It includes the first interactions between Spider-Man and a ton of heroes, but you don't see it mentioned by any of those characters either.

I read Ultimate Marvel Team-Up during my read-through of USM, and it wasn't necessary. But it was worth it because it was only 16 issues and those stories were referenced in later adventures (at least, the ones that are canon). But I've heard nothing (good or bad) about Marvel Team-Up. I don't feel like adding 150 MORE issues to an already colossal reading list if the stories aren't good and nothing iconic happens in them.

So here are my questions:
    A) Has anyone here read it?
    B) If so, does anything important, iconic, or memorable happen in it? (Are there any must-read issues?)
    C) Would you recommend reading it?

Thanks in advance!

Astonishing Member

I still have not read all the stories from Marvel Team Up Vol.1.
    The must read issues that i remember now were:

The first stories are must read.
    The Marvel Team Up stories by Chris Clameront and John Byrne (MTU#59-70)
    Marvel Team Up:48-51 by Bill Mantlo and Sal Buscema.
    Marvel Team Up:100 by Chris Clameront and Frank Miller.

I read most of the Claremont/Byrne stories, they were pretty good. A lot of relevant things happened, but I remember those things being more about the guest character that relevant to Spider-Man himself. For example, there’s a two part story with Iron Fist and the Daughters of the Dragon that ended an important plot that was carried from the recently canceled Iron Fist title.
    Last edited by Chubistian; 11-01-2018 at 05:42 PM.
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

I have read them. Most are very good stories. I would recommend.

Quote Originally Posted by Chubistian View Post
    I read most of the Claremont/Byrne stories, they were pretty good. A lot of relevant things happened, but I remember those things being more about the guest character that relevant to Spider-Man himself. For example, there’s a two part story with Iron Fist and the Daughters of the Dragon that ended an important plot that was carried from the recently canceled Iron Fist title.
    One of my favs! MTU had some really good 1-2 part stories. There are a few references in ASM to stuff that happened in MTU. Nothing too important though that I can remember. Still worth a read if you have a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by HillHouseDude View Post
    Hi everyone!

I recently started reading Spider-Man from the beginning. I'm a few dozen issues into ASM and really enjoying it so far! I'm going to include the spin-off series' (Spectacular Spider-Man, Web of Spider-Man, etc.) and the events involving Spider-Man (Secret Wars, Infinity Gauntlet, etc.) in my reading order, reading issue-by-issue by order of release.

But there's a problem. A 150-issue-sized problem: Marvel Team-Up. Marvel Team-Up started in 1972 and almost every issue is about Spider-Man. It ran for 13 years and had 150 issues. Despite this, I almost never hear it mentioned anywhere. It includes the first interactions between Spider-Man and a ton of heroes, but you don't see it mentioned by any of those characters either.

I read Ultimate Marvel Team-Up during my read-through of USM, and it wasn't necessary. But it was worth it because it was only 16 issues and those stories were referenced in later adventures (at least, the ones that are canon). But I've heard nothing (good or bad) about Marvel Team-Up. I don't feel like adding 150 MORE issues to an already colossal reading list if the stories aren't good and nothing iconic happens in them.

B) If so, does anything important, iconic, or memorable happen in it? (Are there any must-read issues?)

Thanks in advance!
    A) I have read it.
    B) Not much happens that would have any effect on Spidey in his other titles.
    C) If you love Spidey and are interested in how he interacts with the Marvel Universe, then I would recommend it.

It's a mixed bag. Some of it is weak.

However, the Claremont stuff is really good. His run with Byrne may just be the most underrated on Spider-Man (which is weird since they're already known for some of the best comics ever with their X-Men) and he has some other good arcs (Issue 100 with Miller is excellent; There's a four part story with an amnesiac Black Widow that may be one of the best Marvel spy comics.)

DeMatteis also had a run on that, which is pretty solid and sets up some of the characters in Kraven's Last Hunt.

* Edit- I wanted to be clear that some runs and issues are quite good. My initial comment "It isn't all that worthwhile" could be seen as suggesting that none of it was really good.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Amazing Member

As Mister Mets says, DeMatteis wrote a bunch of issues (101, 111–133), some of which set up some of the themes and characters he'd develop later (128 with Vermin is a case in point).

Astonishing Member

Another recommendation for the Claremont issues (with Byrne and with other artists).

And if you liked any JM DeMatteis Spider-Man story, then you should read his issues of Marvel Team UP.

Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
    Another recommendation for the Claremont issues (with Byrne and with other artists).

And if you liked any JM DeMatteis Spider-Man story, then you should read his issues of Marvel Team UP.
    Quote Originally Posted by esskay View Post
    As Mister Mets says, DeMatteis wrote a bunch of issues (101, 111–133), some of which set up some of the themes and characters he'd develop later (128 with Vermin is a case in point).
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    It's a mixed bag. It isn't all that worthwhile.

However, the Claremont stuff is really good. His run with Byrne may just be the most underrated on Spider-Man (which is weird since they're already known for some of the best comics ever with their X-Men) and he has some other good arcs (Issue 100 with Miller is excellent; There's a four part story with an amnesiac Black Widow that may be one of the best Marvel spy comics.)

DeMatteis also had a run on that, which is pretty solid and sets up some of the characters in Kraven's Last Hunt.
    Agreed. Completely missed the DeMatteis connection between titles. Sorry.

Mockingbirds story for the hawkeye limited series started here also. Plus didn't ghost rider spirit get freed by the fantastic four in issue 100?

Some neat stories like how spidey made friends with man-thing and even the hulk! Prof x teaming up with spidey (a rare thing) and even spidey teaming up with killraven, Saturday night live, red Sonja, and even king kull of conan fame!

Some fun covers

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by Gaastra; 11-02-2018 at 02:12 PM.

Spectacular Member

Really wish Marvel Unlimted had this, Spec and Web all up on their service. There's other, shady means to read but much easier on MU.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Mockingbirds story for the hawkeye limited series started here also. Plus didn't ghost rider spirit get freed by the fantastic four in issue 100?

Some neat stories like how spidey made friends with man-thing and even the hulk! Prof x teaming up with spidey (a rare thing) and even spidey teaming up with killraven, Saturday night live, red Sonja, and even king kull of conan fame!

Some fun covers

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Marvel Team Up#100 have the Fantastic Four but not the Ghost Rider.
    Issue 100 is a story by Chris Clameront and Frank Miller that have the first apearence of Karma.
    Chris Clameront had Karma re-apear again not so long after issue 100 in the New Mutants comic book that was also writen by him.

Quote Originally Posted by HillHouseDude View Post
    A) Yes I have.
    B) It's an enjoyable read. What else is needed?
    C) Yes I would.

To me it is worth it, but there were various writers, various artists over the years. It was an "anthology" book of sorts, because of the different team up in every issue. There were also selective non-Spider-Man appearances on occasion.

I don't know if you have the Marvel online subscription where you can stream back issues, but that may be an option. Beyond that, maybe look into the "Essential" black & white trade paperbacks.