View Poll Results: When will Marvel Studios officially announce their first R Rated film.

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • Never

20 55.56%
  • Before Year 2225

16 44.44%
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Hopefully never. R-rated comic book stuff just reminds me that I'm old and part of a comic audience that is steadily diminishing.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Reading through this conversation, it came up that BoP was R rated because of the cocaine. While I'm sure that was a factor...did no one else cringe at the knees breaking so bad they bent in the wrong direction scenes? Because she broke people's knees twice! Also Black Mask was blown up into chunks.

Quote Originally Posted by ERON View Post
    Since when was To Kill a Mockingbird a children's book? Is it because it's taught in middle schools? Does that make Of Mice and Men and The Grapes of Wrath children's books, too?
    Oh god. Of Mice and Men and To Kill a Mockingbird was one thing, but Grapes of Wrath man...that was really messed up. Like honestly, no one offered Steinbeck therapy for that? That wasn't a novel, it was a cry for help!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Hopefully never. R-rated comic book stuff just reminds me that I'm old and part of a comic audience that is steadily diminishing.
    I'm not old (33) but still part of the diminishing audience for comic books. But I disagree - while not all comics/comic-movies, or most, or even half, should be rated R, I think some are a good thing. Yes, even for the MCU. A wide variety of tones, styles, and ratings is the healthiest for the genre and industry as a whole.

The goal post is always move in this convo

-Disney is too kiddie, all its content it is too light, Disney is never going to release rated R Deadpool

but now

-Disney will never release "proper" rated R movie, They have to water it down. It won't be a "true" rated R movie.

After spending all this time crying that Disney won't create more "mature" content and stories they show a willingness to do it and some people deny that is what they are doing it is so weird. I don't know why anyone is surprised about this all the characters they have had so far were relatively light stuff. They now have Daredevil, Punisher, Blade, Ghost Rider, Wolverine and Deadpool possible up coming in the future. It would not be a surprise to me if they made a movie version of the Marvel Knights/Max imprint for some future characters. Disney also has Hulu as place where it needs to dump some content.

BANNED

@Castle: "Well, It will likely be R in name only. Deadpool's success as an r rated movie is going to cause a lot problem for other films."

You don't really know how movies are getting the rating, are you? If the MPAA thinks a movie is R than it will have it. No "R in name only" stuff. How would that even work?

Regarding smoking, you know that it is not really a Disney thing but something, that happened in all things . Or do you see many Advertisments for smoking anymore? And Wolverine is not really someone who would work as "smoking is bad" example, because he will never get any of the consequences of smoking.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    The original Spider-Man movie was in 2002. Around 2007 most major movie studios decided to stop depicting smoking in their movies.
    They did not do this in a very impactful manner.

You claim ignorance in others yet state that Disney set the MPAA ratings code. Laughable.
    I never did. you misquoted me.

Marvel has their own internal ratings system for their comics and have since they left the Comics Code in 2001. That was well before Disney bought them. That doesn't mean that the bulk of them are "R" rated material, because they aren't.
    I will stop repeating myself, everyone knows comic and movies ratings are not equal and dont mean the same.

How many comics on a monthly basis openly show a hero doing drugs? There's also a large difference between alcoholism, something derived from a legal substance, and illicit illegal drug use. Not sure what comics you're reading if you think heroes shooting heroin happens on the regular.

Drug use in comics have been addressed in the past, and 99% of the time it's showing the negative effects of it. Birds of Prey did not of that, hence in part the "R" rating.
    Please don't prove Scorsese right that comic films are just cgi action theme parks. he was wrong.

You're confusing a studio's internal guidelines with an independent ratings system. Disney can say "you can't have this in a movie if you make it with us" but they can't hand the MPAA a "G" rated movie and tell them to slap an "R" on it. That's not how it works.
    Disney internal guidelines is what set their own rating setting. this is why they dont do R.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Read the title of the thread. And then mention the comics that have used the N-word or talked about rape instead of talking about "To kill a mockingbird". It's totally irrelevant to what we are discussing here..
    saying it is not relevant does not make it so, its relevant because it is the same words that has the same impact on the movie. the words dont change based on the genre. wolverine saying ''**** you'' in first class means the same insult as sam l jacksom saying ''**** you'' in Django Unchained. one in a comic book, the other is western even rated r.

Since when did Disney become the MPAA?? Disney doesn't decide what constitutes an R-rating or not. And my question about reading Deadpool wasn't me being rude, it was me being factual because they comics outside of Deadpool Max or Duggan's run doesn't feature that much on-panel explicit violence.

disney is not MPAA. Disney says what they want in their own movies.

None of these comics feature on-panel violence beyond PG-13 levels. The violence in the Daredevil or Batman isn't something you won't necessarily see in your average street level superhero movie. Besides, the Daredevil TV series was far more violent than what we see in the comics, so, if Disney/Marvel can produce that I doubt they would have problem featuring extreme violence in an R-rated movie.
    That was on netflix, series that were not part of the MCU. Deadpool is suppose to be part of the mcu, i think his r will just be down to maybe one f word, which will put it on par with xmen first class

The comics are rated T for teen outside of Marvel Max. And Bob Iger probably hadn't even read that many Marvel comics at the time (and I sincerely doubt he ever has!).
    Bob Iger knew about marvel comics, and if did not read it, he must have seen their other movies. Blade, X-men 1 and they definitely saw Spiderman 2002 and 2004. you cant explain why MCU Spiderman lacks the gravitas of the other films. He knew about Marvel.

Which superhero comics show explicit drug use on panel??? Even comics that deal extensively with characters fighting drug dealers, we rarely, if ever see drug use in comics.

I don't believe that alcoholism will even get you an R-rating either. Outside explicit depictions of the effects of said alcoholism.
    I remember some spiderman and xmen comics dealing with drug abuse and a few of their movies.

Yes, Alcoholism should not get you r, reason I will never understand how disney can still ban that from Iron Man 3, please think deeply about that

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Your problem, not Marvel's.
    It's marvel problem, they have 75 years comic books and other not marvel movies their exposes a lot and will continue to expose a lot with deadpool 3. i dont think birds of prey should have been r, Deadpool 3 will be less than birds of prey r.
    So, Logan was a bad movie because it didn't show Wolverine lighting up, then?
    Logan dealt with deeper problems than his smoking abuse issues. this is what even makes Logan better than X2.

If a movie's rated "R," then it's rated "R." There's nothing "in name about that.

Its a faux get away, its the same argument they make with RT. As long as endgame has the same rt as the dark knight that is what matters. they dont care how both movies came to life. they dont care that one is shallow, and the other has subtance.

what the point of deapool 3 having r rating until you realise Spiderman 3 has more R
    And yet Spider-Verse was okay for older children with a mere "PG" and still considered a great movie.
    What's in spiderverse?

Almost divorced Peter Parker

I don't see MCU Spiderman using these things in their movies, he will be in high school for the next 50 years.

Do you hear yourself?

This is another movie disney will call R.
    Last edited by Castle; 01-13-2021 at 06:50 AM.

BANNED

"what the point of deapool 3 having r rating until you realises xmen first class had more r rating content?"

So you know what will be in Deadpool 3? Good to know. I am not sure even Ryan Reynolds knows that ? But shows once again what to make of your comments.

And the only one in here ranting about RT this and RT that is you.

But thanks for showing the mental acrobatics someone is capable of.

For example:
    "I never did. you misquoted me."
    So you never wrote stuff like "Well, It will likely be R in name only."? showing either a misunderstanding how ratings work or your usual constructing arguments to back your Anti-Disney Grudge.
    Last edited by lowfyr; 01-13-2021 at 06:41 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by lowfyr View Post
    "what the point of deapool 3 having r rating until you realises xmen first class had more r rating content?"

So you know what will be in Deadpool 3? Good to know. I am not sure even Ryan Reynolds knows that ? But shows once again what to make of your comments.
    I love how some of you already know what will be in Batman v Superman Snyder cut and X-Men reboot but they dont tend to agree when people say they know what will be in a mcu movie when MCU has the most predictable movies out there.

BANNED

No, most people base their comments on what is currently known(Regarding Deadpool 3 the R rating and the MCU X-Men nothing really) You are the only one who already "knows" more things about the movies. And if you are once again proven wrong you will just move the goalposts as usual. Case in point your "argument" about Deadpool 3 ratings.
    Last edited by lowfyr; 01-13-2021 at 06:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Reading through this conversation, it came up that BoP was R rated because of the cocaine. While I'm sure that was a factor...did no one else cringe at the knees breaking so bad they bent in the wrong direction scenes? Because she broke people's knees twice! Also Black Mask was blown up into chunks.
    The cocaine scene wasn't the only reason it was given an "R," but it was the most obvious which is why I used it as an example.

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    Doesn't matter. They still did it. 2007 is also when the MPAA made smoking part of their ratings guidelines. So Disney's personal edict on smoking has nothing to do with what rating the MPAA would give it regardless.

I will stop repeating myself, everyone knows comic and movies ratings are not equal and dont mean the same.
    I never said they were. I was disputing your claims of what the equivalent of one means in the other, and the content of the comics themselves.

Please don't prove Scorsese right that comic films are just cgi action theme parks. he was wrong.
    Comics can be a wide variety of things, just like movies can be. You're the one painting comics with one broad brush. That's where this part of the debate came from.

Disney internal guidelines is what set their own rating setting. this is why they dont do R.
    Except they are doing R with Deadpool. They've stated that. So, again, if they make a PG-13 movie, the MPAA will give it a PG-13 rating.

And the MPAA rates those movies accordingly. Not Disney.

That was on netflix, series that were not part of the MCU. Deadpool is suppose to be part of the mcu,
    For a set of shows not in the MCU, they seem to reference the MCU an awful lot.

i think his r will just be down to maybe one f word, which will put it on par with xmen first class
    Then the MPAA would rate it with the same rating as First Class.

I remember some spiderman and xmen comics dealing with drug abuse and a few of their movies.
    Yeah, and those comics were basically the equivalent of After School Specials.

Yes, Alcoholism should not get you r, reason I will never understand how disney can still ban that from Iron Man 3, please think deeply about that
    Probably because they already touched on Tony's drinking problem in Iron Man 2 so it would be treading on old ground.
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

I never did. you misquoted me.

saying it is not relevant does not make it so, its relevant because it is the same words that has the same impact on the movie. the words dont change based on the genre. wolverine saying ''**** you'' in first class means the same insult as sam l jacksom saying ''**** you'' in Django Unchained. one in a comic book, the other is western even rated r.

That was on netflix, series that were not part of the MCU. Deadpool is suppose to be part of the mcu, i think his r will just be down to maybe one f word, which will put it on par with xmen first class

Bob Iger knew about marvel comics, and if did not read it, he must have seen their other movies. Blade, X-men 1 and they definitely saw Spiderman 2002 and 2004. you cant explain why MCU Spiderman lacks the gravitas of the other films. He knew about Marvel.

Your argument is Disney would NEVER release a real true R rated comic book film would they?

I'm gonna blow your mind with this they already did 26 years ago. You see The Crow which was R rated which showcased Rape and Murder was produced by Dimension Films and Distributed by Miramax in 1994.

Oh and both companies were OWNED by DISNEY in 1994.

Under Disney's ownership they also released H20, Hellraiser Films, and From Dusk till Dawn.

Disney also had created the Touchstone Pictures divisions which released R rated films so yeah the argument that Disney doesn't do real R rated material is bunk.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Your argument is Disney would NEVER release a real true R rated comic book film would they?
    That was not only part of my argument, I said even if they do, it will be R in name only. You will find better pg 13 r movies from sony or fox than disney r.

I'm gonna blow your mind with this they already did 26 years ago. You see The Crow which was R rated which showcased Rape and Murder was produced by Dimension Films and Distributed by Miramax in 1994.
    Miramax is not marvel studios and don't have to follow the rules of disney movies like marvel. the same for touchstone.

Spiderman 3 is a good argument for Miramax not spiderman far from home.

It's marvel problem, they have 75 years comic books and other not marvel movies their exposes a lot and will continue to expose a lot with deadpool 3.
    You may be on the side of illogic, but let it never be said that you were surpassed in the art of crafting word salads. Meaningless word salads, but still.

...i dont think birds of prey should have been r...
    Dunno, some of the violence against women (part of the main theme of women finding their own voice and all that) might've had to be scrapped if it wasn't for the R rating. Granted, I have wondered if the R rating limited the audience for it and all that.

...Deadpool 3 will be less than birds of prey r.
    We literally do not know that, seeing as the movie hasn't been even made yet.

Logan dealt with deeper problems than his smoking abuse issues. this is what even makes Logan better than X2.
    You're missing the point.

Its a faux get away...
    It's logic by way of common sense.

...its the same argument they make with RT. As long as endgame has the same rt as the dark knight that is what matters. they dont care how both movies came to life. they dont care that one is shallow, and the other has subtance.
    Rotten Tomatoes is a review aggregate site, nothing more, nothing less.

So far as both Avengers: Endgame and Dark Knight getting positive reviews, remember intent vs execution; they both had different goals and made good versions of wha

what the point of deapool 3 having r rating until you realise Spiderman 3 has more R
    Nice red herring. However, not only does Spider-Man 3 not have R-rated content, it was not made by Fox, much less Marvel Studios, so is neither here nor there in terms of what a Marvel Studios Deadpoll 3 will be.

What's in spiderverse?

Almost divorced Peter Parker
    What's in Guardians of the Galaxy? Flawed and sometimes toxic family relationships. What's in Iron Man 3? PTSD. What's in the Star Wars sequel trilogy? Patricide (and a woman possibly falling in love with her abuser -- until they apparently realized just how bad the optics were on that and used the novelization to clarify that that wasn't the case).

In other words, irrelevant.

I don't see MCU Spiderman using these things in their movies, he will be in high school for the next 50 years.
    And yet one of the best Spider-Man comics ever made was all about his high school years. There's more to Spider-Man then being an adult. And, once again, intent vs. execution.

This is another movie disney will call R.
    We're still having this conversation in a post-Pirates of the Caribbean world, much less a post-Pulp Fiction one?

Disney had made movies not for kids before, R or otherwise, including things that fall directly under their family-friendly brands. There's no reason to disbelieve that they would do it again.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    The cocaine scene wasn't the only reason it was given an "R," but it was the most obvious which is why I used it as an example.
    The cocaine scene could still have been pg . But now you brought it up , its possible deadpool 3 r will someone inline with DOFP. Few characters swear, few characters abuse drugs and there is extreme violence but limited blood, that movie got pg 13 and since disney put it up on disney plus uncensored, deadpool 3 will be something like that or less because disney will really up the comedy to drown down the grittiness.

Doesn't matter. They still did it. 2007 is also when the MPAA made smoking part of their ratings guidelines. So Disney's personal edict on smoking has nothing to do with what rating the MPAA would give it regardless.
    They did not do it by 100%.
    Comics can be a wide variety of things, just like movies can be. You're the one painting comics with one broad brush. That's where this part of the debate came from.
    I am painting comic books with many brushes their stories cover a lot of things.

Probably because they already touched on Tony's drinking problem in Iron Man 2 so it would be treading on old ground.
    No, this was not the reason. They hardly touched on his drinking problem in the second film. They banned it in Iron Man 3, for the same reason they screwed the villain.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    You may be on the side of illogic, but let it never be said that you were surpassed in the art of crafting word salads. Meaningless word salads, but still.
    I do find this metaphor illogical considering how ...when MCU rewrites some films from comics and some fans read the comics after, their opinions changes drastically. even the big fans of GOTG and Ragnarök cannot defend those movies anymore to those that finally read the comics and said Marvel should have gone a different route.

Dunno, some of the violence against women (part of the main theme of women finding their own voice and all that) might've had to be scrapped if it wasn't for the R rating. Granted, I have wondered if the R rating limited the audience for it and all that.
    Birds of Prey will forever be a toss up but most of DC fans will tell you it did not need R. If deadpool goes down that line then what is the point? just make it pg 13 and have deadpool say he cannot be r anymore in the movie

Rotten Tomatoes is a review aggregate site, nothing more, nothing less.

So far as both Avengers: Endgame and Dark Knight getting positive reviews, remember intent vs execution; they both had different goals and made good versions of wha
    the dark knight did not score positive reviews for fun and humor and cgi . the positive reviews of dark knight is worth remembering in 30 years, we talking about this is important because deadpool positive reviews was like no other thing we have ever seen. It made Dr Strange, X-men Apocalypse and Civil War all unimportant in 2016 and disposed all those comic movies. Spiderman 3 does have r rating content, its only the MCU film producers that will think it does.

What's in Guardians of the Galaxy? Flawed and sometimes toxic family relationships. What's in Iron Man 3? PTSD. What's in the Star Wars sequel trilogy? Patricide (and a woman possibly falling in love with her abuser -- until they apparently realized just how bad the optics were on that and used the novelization to clarify that that wasn't the case).

In other words, irrelevant
    GOTG is a comedy and you are overreaching with the movie, noone walks out of gotg thinking of toxic relationships, GOTG is the one movie that set MCU on the downward part of colourful comedy disposable movies. I will just keep quiet about star wars ST, that trilogy has been trashed a lot for many good reasons. though I will say, many star wars fans did complain about the Marvel comedy of gotg spilling over star wars.
    GOTG is not Spiderman either. Spiderman is spiderman, you want to know another edge Spiderverse has? it used Kingpin as the villain. It cared about an actual stand alone rich story of spiderman , something mcu will ever unlikely do.If only tony PTSDs in iron man 2 was like bruce's ptsd in the dark knight rises,

We're still having this conversation in a post-Pirates of the Caribbean world, much less a post-Pulp Fiction one?

Disney had made movies not for kids before, R or otherwise, including things that fall directly under their family-friendly brands. There's no reason to disbelieve that they would do it again.
    Pirates of the Caribbean was one of the best family friendly franchise ever, however that is not supposed to be marvel. Bob Iger is a bankrupt genius for trying to turn Marvel to Pirates of the caribbean, only thing is, it has not worked well, deadpool 3 will likely show the cracks more once we see deadpool 3 is not the joker when it should be by the third film still keeping the r rating.
    Last edited by Castle; 01-13-2021 at 01:02 PM.