View Poll Results: When will Marvel Studios officially announce their first R Rated film.

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • Never

20 55.56%
  • Before Year 2225

16 44.44%
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    They won't because of math superhero movies are expensive and they want as many butts in theater seats as possible. Also what is the obsession with R rated movies? Outside of a few graphic novels Marvel and DC Superhero comics aren't R rated in the Source Material anyways.
    The whole R rated thing is just the current thinking by film nerds that all R rated movies are better. They want R rated everything. The difference between PG-13 and R is so slim it makes no difference in most cases anyway. If you have to have multiple fucks or show a set of **** in your movie just to make it good it was never that good to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by Minerboh View Post
    Ι wouldn't call the Red Skull holding Xavier's brain PG-13 material.
    Mr. Burns in a Tree House of Horror episode of the Simpsons wore Homer's Brain like a hat https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...a236acf055.jpg

Cartoon brains have been shown plenty of times on cartoons its not considered R material. A live action brain depends on context and I doubt given the MCU Red Skull we'd ever see that scene in a MCU film.

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Marvelgirl View Post
    News just reached me Birds Of Prey is R rated.I never knew that, it is not necessary either. DC is already beating MCU to get their first R Rated film. I personally think Marvel Studios is trolling everyone. There is no chance no way, no how Marvel Studios will ever produced an R Rated film.

Can anyone not bring up Touchstone or Miramax insisting those studios are owned by Disney like Marvel is owned by Disney. The difference is Disney is not directly involved in the production of movies released under touchstone and Miramax, Disney is very involved in the production of every Marvel movie from top to bottom.
    DCEU already put out an R rated movie.

Marvel will make an R-rated film when it’s necessary. Outside of Deadpool, nobody else really needs an R-rating to be done right.

Astonishing Member

The best CBM ever is Logan with a hard R. Can you imagine a PG Logan? Doesn't work.

MCU must adapt or die. PG is for kids.

(According to hardcore Fox fans).

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    When is the MCU doing an R-rated movie?

Maybe never. Marvel comics (with some exceptions) .
    Other studios have done R Rated since the mid 90s, nothing should be holding Marvel back. R Rated movies are good for exploring the boundaries of what you can do with a film, story and characters.

are basically PG-13, there's no reason for the movies to go R-rated
    Stories have reason to go R. Red Skull and Joker stories. X2, the story of God Loves Man Kills would have played better as R. it was a struggle to make the film a pg 13 after many cuts. Some stories are violent , addressing uncomfortable topics too. If there was no reason, Netflix won't need to exist for Marvel. It is less depressing knowing marvel would have lost the opportunity to green-lit Logan, putting the film on Netflix as a cheap TV series instead, when we consider, Logan in a split decision is viewed as the greatest superhero movie ever made.

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    DCEU is welcome to the R rated shows. R rating adds no value to MCU films, including X-Men. No need to bring MCU quality down just to get a less valuable rating and the content that goes with it.
    It's not so tied to quality as to a dare, Logan has a superior quality to Marvel studios movies. Deadpool was more stout-hearted and risky than any Marvel movie. Quality superhero movies existed when cinematic universes movies were not around. The quality was there because movies could not be duplicated or were so tied in they all looked alike.
    Last edited by Marvelgirl; 11-02-2018 at 09:55 AM.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Is there a demand for an R-rated MCU film, I mean, other than from fanboys? I get the feeling the Disney overlords won't go for that.
    Last edited by WestPhillyPunisher; 11-02-2018 at 10:38 AM.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Why can't it be the MCU? What is wrong with MCU putting out R rated films.
    Also because the MCU films tie together so much...it's fairly important you see each film. So why alienate a massive chunk of their audience? They could do a Marvel R-rated film that's not tied into the larger MCU...but I don't see them doing an R-rated film that ties into their larger story arc, as it's intertwined among every movie they release.

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    The best CBM ever is Logan with a hard R. Can you imagine a PG Logan? Doesn't work.

Logan's greatness was not about R. TDK greatness was not about grittiness or because Heath Ledger died. it's a misconception some Marvel Studios fans have about both movies.

Superhero films should be for kids and adults unless they have the specific R Rating. I associated superhero films to kids when people say these movies are about fun and have nothing more going for it, I associated superhero movies to kids and adults when superhero movies are less FX focused, choosing to care more about having a good story first told well in films.

If they have a great story warranting the R rating, I'm sure they'll go for it.
    Last edited by BeastieRunner; 11-02-2018 at 10:53 AM.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post

Dark Knight and Snowpiercer are better than Logan IMO. Also why wouldn't superhero movies be for kids?

Logan's greatness was not about R. TDK greatness was not about grittiness or because Heath Ledger died. it's a misconception some Marvel Studios fans have about both movies.

Superhero films should be for kids and adults unless they have the specific R Rating. I associated superhero films to kids when people say these movies are about fun and have nothing more going for it, I associated superhero movies to kids and adults when superhero movies are less FX focused, choosing to care more about having a good story first told well in films.
    The Nolan trilogy isn't gritty its realistic but not gritty.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Minerboh View Post
    Ι wouldn't call the Red Skull holding Xavier's brain PG-13 material.
    Depends. You can get away with a lot of stuff in PG-13, the problem just comes down to how much blood is shown.

The Jurassic Park movies show people literally being ripped apart, the Taken movies show guys getting killed in all sort of fashion and Venom had guys get their heads bitten off, the most recent Robocop movie had a slight amount of body horror e.t.c. It’s all in the presentation.
    Last edited by Username taken; 11-02-2018 at 11:51 AM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    The whole R rated thing is just the current thinking by film nerds that all R rated movies are better. They want R rated everything. The difference between PG-13 and R is so slim it makes no difference in most cases anyway. If you have to have multiple fucks or show a set of **** in your movie just to make it good it was never that good to begin with.
    Exactly, you have to go in hard to get an R-rating.

The MPAA is pretty lax when it comes to on-screen violence..it’s the sex and swearing that they have a problem with.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Mr. Burns in a Tree House of Horror episode of the Simpsons wore Homer's Brain like a hat https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...a236acf055.jpg

Cartoon brains have been shown plenty of times on cartoons its not considered R material. A live action brain depends on context and I doubt given the MCU Red Skull we'd ever see that scene in a MCU film.
    Simpsons Tree of whatever was comical. The whole nature of the last scene of Uncanny Avengers was way too graphic so it can be considered PG-13. And for the sake of arguement, let's just say that you are right with the brain issue. There were other, more controversial scenes in other Marvel books that couldn't possibly be rated with a PG-13.
    The sex scene of Hank Pym and Janet, many many nude appearences by various characters in the 90's (especially by the X-Men), Ultimatum's disgusting scenes such as Blob cannibal, Kraven's Last Hunt, everything Rick Remender wrote for Uncanny X-Force and other that eludes me.
    Last edited by Minerboh; 11-03-2018 at 06:45 AM.

Formerly Blackdragon6 Emperor-of-Dragons's Avatar

There's nothing wrong with a R-rated film. I couldn't see the Punisher being PG-13. I mean it COULD, but I wouldn't want to see it.lol