View Poll Results: When will Marvel Studios officially announce their first R Rated film.

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • Never

20 55.56%
  • Before Year 2225

16 44.44%
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Honestly, I wish more superhero movies were PG instead of PG-13. If your Superman movie is rated PG-13, you blew it.

R ratings shouldn't be for anything that isn't coming from Vertigo or something similar.

Formerly Blackdragon6 Emperor-of-Dragons's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    Honestly, I wish more superhero movies were PG instead of PG-13. If your Superman movie is rated PG-13, you blew it.

R ratings shouldn't be for anything that isn't coming from Vertigo or something similar.
    That's very narrow-minded to be frank

Quote Originally Posted by Marvelgirl View Post
    Logan's greatness was not about R. TDK greatness was not about grittiness or because Heath Ledger died. it's a misconception some Marvel Studios fans have about both movies.

Superhero films should be for kids and adults unless they have the specific R Rating. I associated superhero films to kids when people say these movies are about fun and have nothing more going for it, I associated superhero movies to kids and adults when superhero movies are less FX focused, choosing to care more about having a good story first told well in films.
    The thread started with a question about "R" ratings.

Now, it's not really about "R" ratings.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Dark Knight and Snowpiercer are better than Logan IMO. Also why wouldn't superhero movies be for kids?
    I was joking around. Not of fan of Logan and it wouldn't list in any of my top CBM.

It seems some of the X-Men Fox fans love R dark movies. They want bloodshed and angst.

For honor... Madam-Shogun-Assassin's Avatar

This thread really remind me why villains are so prone to the "Draco In Leather Pants" trope.

Extraordinary Member

Other studios have done R Rated since the mid 90s, nothing should be holding Marvel back. R Rated movies are good for exploring the boundaries of what you can do with a film, story and characters.

Stories have reason to go R. Red Skull and Joker stories. X2, the story of God Loves Man Kills would have played better as R. it was a struggle to make the film a pg 13 after many cuts. Some stories are violent , addressing uncomfortable topics too. If there was no reason, Netflix won't need to exist for Marvel. It is less depressing knowing marvel would have lost the opportunity to green-lit Logan, putting the film on Netflix as a cheap TV series instead, when we consider, Logan in a split decision is viewed as the greatest superhero movie ever made.

It's not so tied to quality as to a dare, Logan has a superior quality to Marvel studios movies. Deadpool was more stout-hearted and risky than any Marvel movie. Quality superhero movies existed when cinematic universes movies were not around. The quality was there because movies could not be duplicated or were so tied in they all looked alike.
    I disagree with your views and clearly think you are wrong.
    Your posts reminds me of this same incorrect views and chat in the x-men forum.

Anyway here some other views.
    Juan Pablo Rueda9 hours ago (edited)
    WarGod Venersis Well then it's a matter of taste. I loved X-Men as a kid but it hasn't aged well at all, it's just ok. The Wolverine I hated from the get go, it has a laughable villain and an even stupider third act. I had forgotten about First Class, that one's pretty good, but it's the only one I'd include, making it a 50-50 deal when it comes to Fox. Either way, the MCU handles characters in line with their major themes, I doubt they'd go for a Guardians of the Galaxy treatment with characters that have been all about politics since their inception. It's far more likely they'd do a Black Panther - Winter Soldier social commentary with the mutants. And when it comes to "more intense dark stories", which one are you guys talking about? 'Cause the only one that I'd accept has gone with more mature, darker topics than all MCU movies (let's not generalize using Guardians as the MCU's sole brand) is Logan. Every other X-Men movie has had "jokes and giggles" intertwined within the story like every MCU film has. If you're pretending Deadpool's R rating makes it a dark intense movie, you don't know what dark or intense means...

by One Piece2 hours ago
    This deal is a monopoly. Disney would never have the creativity to make something as unique as Deadpool and Legion smh.

by Trent Matthews1 hour ago
    One Piece Guardians of the Galaxy

by GranularAni91 hour ago (edited)
    I disagree. Disney has always been well known for its creativity, imagination, fantasy, and magic. To be honest, there was nothing "creative" about Deadpool or Legion since they were both just comics brought to life with R-ratings. There is no monopoly. If there were the deal would have already been shutdown.

by Theleviathan
    Singer's work was always overrated IMO. He understood the spirit of the books, but virtually everything else was horrible. The plots frequently made zero sense and he struggled to give characters their due.
    I think a combination of nostalgia and excitement seeing our favorites on screen tainted a lot of opinions. I'm happy to have the MCU in charge of the X-universe. They consistently get the spirit of their characters right and have translated many difficult concepts into great movies. Singer largely "meh'd" his way through a lot of core material.

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled
    I don't see how it makes that less meaningful. Deadpool and Logan were always risky so there would have been opposition. But it doesn't change the fact that in both cases, the final results were good and true to their respective creator's vision, making further such projects a possibility. Meanwhile, Edgar Wright couldn't get his way regarding Ant-Man and Patty Jenkins couldn't have her way regarding Thor: The Dark World. So of the two studios, it's clear who is more open to experimenting with the superhero genre and who has more incentive right now.
    Though we'll see. I find it hard to believe stuff like Deadpool will be scrapped or toned down. Unfortunately, not looking good for Mangold's Laura solo in case of a buyout, so his disappointment is warranted.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79
    It's less meaningful because he makes it sounds like Fox was this atmosphere of creativity and it's not. They got to make Logan and Deadpool because they went cheap and in Deadpool's case they still went kicking and screaming what leeway Logan got was because of Deadpool. Disney has made R rated movies they've even made Slasher films but the huge blockbusters get PG-13 because of their price tags not because of restricting creativity. Fox, WB, Sony none of the rest would make an R rated comic book movie if it has a large price tag that's just a fact. Marvel/The MCU saves it's "R" material for the small screen like Netflix I just watched Punisher a few weeks ago and that would had probably been R in theaters with it's material. When it comes to R ratings everyone knows why films get it and don't and it's not about creativity but money. I mean no matter what you think of them GOTG 1 and 2 and Thor Ragnarok have James Gunn and Taika Waititi's fingerprints and style all over them.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas
    You really think Logan doesn't have a ton of CGI? All that blood flying around, Logan and X-23's claws? Most of the time entirely made out of pure pixels.
    As for Disney, let's take your favourite example: Guardians Of The Galaxy.
    People who were playing attention would have noticed that it is a character study, and that it shares some adult themes with Logan, like what happen when you have to watch a parent die.
    For all the jokes and CGI , GotG2 did what Logan couldn't: make me cry real tears. Twice.

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled
    Not the point and doesn't matter. Fact remains that Fox now has the incentive to make riskier projects unlike Disney. Mangold's Laura film will probably be canned thanks to the buyout so he has the right to be disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops
    The franchise's biggest star need to take a pay cut after 17 years playing the same character, and it doesn't matter?! They're lowering the budget to almost insulting levels and it doesn't matter?! Seriously?! By the way, MCU itself was a huge risk, but for some reason no Fox fan want to admit it.
    About this X-23 movie. Jackman had to take a pay cut, Ryan Reynolds had to wait for 14 years(and god knows whatnot he had to do), but you guys really think that the same studio will greenlight an R-rated film with 15 year old girl that easily? Be realistic. Laura isn't getting a movie. There is a possibility that she might get one. Don't tell me about the "script being written". Far more popular characters' movies with far more powerful studios behind them and far ahead in development have been canceled. You think this is the first time WB has tried to make a Batman/Superman movie? Or a Justice League movie?

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    The fact that the studio was trying to limit how much money they'd potentially lose (their's a line between risk and complete idiocy. Fox is still a business after all) does not mean Logan and Deadpool were not risks.

The exact same thing can be said about MCU. But they still trust in D-list characters and give them high budget.
    Shorter than Logan and Deadpool. How many movies have fox made with black or female character in the leading role? Oh yeah, none. So please, let's not go there.

or
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    The fact that the studio was trying to limit how much money they'd potentially lose (their's a line between risk and complete idiocy. Fox is still a business after all) does not mean Logan and Deadpool were not risks.

The exact same thing can be said about MCU. But they still trust in D-list characters and give them high budget.

Last edited by mace11; 11-02-2018 at 11:52 PM.

Extraordinary Member

News just reached me Birds Of Prey is R rated.I never knew that, it is not necessary either. DC is already beating MCU to get their first R Rated film. I personally think Marvel Studios is trolling everyone. There is no chance no way, no how Marvel Studios will ever produced an R Rated film.

Can anyone not bring up Touchstone or Miramax insisting those studios are owned by Disney like Marvel is owned by Disney. The difference is Disney is not directly involved in the production of movies released under touchstone and Miramax, Disney is very involved in the production of every Marvel movie from top to bottom.
    Here past talk that was posted about marvel and star wars as well but it focus on stars wars for example.

Who has creative control of Star Wars?
    The Lucasfilm Story Group, created by Kathleen Kennedy, oversees all aspects of creativity and story telling within the Star Wars universe.
    https://scifi.stackexchange.com/ques...l-of-star-wars

How Important Are Directors to Marvel Movies?
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hea...rectors-944030

Star wars is not created or done by Disney.
    It's not done by Disney studios.
    Disney funds,distribute and merchandising for star wars,that's it.
    It's not in the walt disney film list below.
    When you see star wars movie you don't see the disney logo in front.

List of Walt Disney Pictures films
    quote-
    This list is only for theatrical films released under the main Disney banner. The list does not include films released by other existing, defunct or divested labels or subsidiaries owned by Walt Disney Studios (i.e. Marvel StudiosMVL, LucasfilmLFL, Touchstone Pictures, Hollywood Pictures, Miramax Films, Dimension Films, ESPN Films etc.; unless they are credited as co-production partners) nor any direct-to-video releases, TV films, theatrical re-releases, or films originally released by other non-Disney studios.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...Pictures_films

Here some other examples.
    Here some talk about the mcu/Disney vs dc/wb vs marvel fox
    This was from the imdb batman v superman forum.
    by Ashray
    quote-
    It's no surprise that Marvel ended up under Disney right after TA as
    this conglomerate buys existing functional studios letting the
    creative team in place while they take care of the distribution and
    merchandising.People often forget that movies like Pulp Fiction, Good Will Hunting,
    Kill Bill and many others were all produced by MIRAMAX, a studio owned
    at the time by Disney Corporation, functioning under the same freedom
    as Marvel or Lucas Films, etc.
    That's how Disney do business with Hollywood.
    It buys working entities (Marvel Studios, the Weinstein, MiraMax,
    Lucas Films, ect...) and let all the creative rights within the
    existing team.
    Disney basically acts like a banker opening its wallet to finance
    projects of existing studios under its conglomerate and collects
    revenues as it opens its distribution and marketing channels to them
    and take care of all the merchandising aspect.

BY Random
    camethedawn you do know marvel studios is still run by disney
    BY camethedawn6
    +Random Yeah, but the parent company doesn't decide which films Marvel Studios makes nor how they are to make them, Feige is the architect of the mcu and it follows his vision and plan, not the head of Disney.

It's lucasfilm that controls where the star wars films go,not Disney.

Kathleen Kennedy (producer)
    quote-
    Kathleen Kennedy (born June 5, 1953) is an American film producer. In 1981, she co-founded Amblin Entertainment with Steven Spielberg and husband Frank Marshall. She was a producer on the 1982 film E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial and the Jurassic Park franchise, the first two of which became two of the top ten highest-grossing films of the 1990s. Kennedy is fourth only to Spielberg, Kevin Feige, and Stan Lee in domestic box office receipts, with over $6 billion as of December 2015.On October 30, 2012, she became the president of Lucasfilm after The Walt Disney Company acquired the company for over $4 billion.
    Overall, Kennedy's work has included over 60 films, 120 Academy Award nominations and over $11 billion worldwide including three of the highest-grossing films in motion picture history.
    In June 2012, Kennedy was named co-chair of Lucasfilm Ltd. alongside George Lucas, whose role was to be eventually assumed by Kennedy.With the sale of Lucasfilm to The Walt Disney Company, she was promoted to president.

Blame Disney studio films if you don't like a snow white film for example but if you don't like a star war film or current star wars blame lucasfilm and Kennedy.
    They decide where star wars go.
    By the way i remember they said george lucas did not know what he was doing when the prequels came out and somebody else should be doing star wars,now all of sudden some folks wanted lucas back?
    Make up your minds people.
    Anyway maybe they should get george back but as an adviser.
    That's it.
    I thought force awakens was really good by the way.
    I have still have not seen rogue one and the last jedi but i still plan to when i have more time later.

Extraordinary Member

More Than Just The Same: MCU Head Kevin Feige Says All Marvel Movies Are 'Relatively Different'
    As popular as it is, one of the biggest and most enduring criticisms of the Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU) is how similar many of its entries are to each other. Minus a few exceptions, cynical viewers think that Marvel movies are interchangeable, with the only differences being the hero's name and which Infinity Stone the villain was holding. In response, Marvel Entertainment head honcho Kevin Feige defended the MCU, saying that the movies are in fact, different from one another.

Feige Talks About Marvelous Differences

While talking to Uproxx about the upcoming #Marvel movies that include Thor: Ragnarok and Black Panther, Feige acknowledged that the Marvel movies do tend to feel similar to one another. For the producer, there's a perfectly logical reason for this, and it's unavoidable given the tightly-knit group of writers responsible for bringing popular Marvel comics to the big screen.

"I mean, I think it's just the way we make the movies. I think all the movies are relatively different. I think there's a narrative that people like to write about because they're all produced by the same team and they all inhabit the same fictional cinematic universe. That we look for common similarities."

While not downplaying the criticisms and similarities, Feige doubled-down on his belief that the Marvel movies are distinct movies that just so happen to be a part of a greater cinematic universe. To prove his point, the producer cited the most recent Marvel movies that have noticeably been aiming to do something outside of the usual Marvel formula.

"And I'm not saying there aren't common similarities throughout it, but I think 'Thor: Ragnarok' and 'Spider-Man: Homecoming' are two totally different types of movies. They're both fun. People both enjoy them. Is that a similarity? If so, I'll take it. If that's a criticism, I'll take that, too. But really, yeah, 'Homecoming,' 'Ragnarok,' '[Black] Panther,' into 'Infinity War,' 'Ant-Man and the Wasp' after that. And a '90s-set 'Captain Marvel' after that; these are six very different movies.If what they have in common is they're all really enjoyable and fun to watch, then I'll take it."

When asked if Thor: Ragnarok, which is being marketed as an inter-galactic road-trip, was the craziest that Marvel could get, Feige reassured Uproxx's Mike Ryan that #Ragnarok - and by extension, future Marvel films - will be a Marvel movie that fans would not be expecting.

"The truth of the matter is I think they're all unusual and I think they all seem to be funnier than people expect. People said the same thing to me about 'Guardians [of the Galaxy],' people said the same thing to me three months ago about 'Spider-Man: Homecoming.' But, certainly, this is the one that we followed our instincts into comedy unabashedly."
    https://moviepilot.com/p/kevin-feige...ticism/4414149
    by M. Stewart3 hours ago
    I agree that DC should not copy Marvel but this idea that DC is “darker” and more artistic is weird. Marvel was traditionally the more realistic gritty universe. Gwen Stacy, Tony’s alcoholism, Miller’s Daredevil, Claremont X-men hell even much later with Morrison’s X-men. DC followed Marvels lead and tried to adapt to Marvel’s style with New Teen Titans and the hiring Frank Miller for Batman and then struck gold with Alan Moore Swamp Thing but the dark approach never fit well with their core heroes other than Batman. Morrison’s JLA was fun but didn’t ring true and since the nth reboots it’s been a disaster.

Wonder Woman worked but was not Dark but the opposite of dark is not necessarily comedy. There is adventure, heroism, optimism bright colors without devolving to a joke a minute (tbf I loved Thor Ragnarok).
    Marvel movies work because they mostly don’t insult your intelligence. Motivations mostly make sense, characters are consistent, the actors take their roles seriously, there is attention to detail. Whether you make a fun movie or dark movie doesn’t matter. You still need to execute.

by James W quote-
    not much of a Marvel comic reader, but haven't they made Thor and Bruce Banner into comedians and Drax from a guy capable of killing Thanos in to guy who makes nipple jokes? Genuine question

by Steven Fraser quote-
    James W Dunno anything about Drax, so I can't answer. As to the Thor and Banner point, I don't class them as "comedians" in the MCU. The comedy comes from Banner's exasperation at the situations he's put in and Thor's naivety/arrogance where he's being placed in situations where he's an outsider, a "fish out of water" as it were. It's not like they're cracking "jokes" per se, as much as their reactions to these situations where the comedy comes from. I don't recall any scene from either of these characters where they stop a scene to tell a "joke". The exact same " fish out of water" style is used for comedy throughout Wonder Woman too. These aren't "comedians"- its the ridiculousness of seeing a Norse God/Amazon react and relate to a world they have no understanding of, THAT'S where the comedy comes from.
    Note-
    By the way i don't think thor ragnarok had jokes or humor every minute.
    This is from last year before black panther and avengers 3.
    WHY THOR RAGNAROK IS THE DARKEST MCU SO FAR (Spoilers)-JOHN CAMPEA
    Thor Ragnarok. People are loving the fun and comedy in the film (which is well deserved). However, when you stop to really consider the movie, you realize it is easily the darkest film Marvel has done to date. John explains why. THIS IS A SPOILER HEAVY VIDEO. ONLY WATCH IF YOU'VE SEEN THE MOVIE.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6HhGSBizS8
    Last edited by mace11; 11-03-2018 at 12:30 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Some folks love talking about the marvel formula for mcu movies.
    Here some talk about the x-men fox marvel movie formula.
    Can New Mutants Bring the X-Men to Horror Movies? | CBR
    The X-Men universe has seen its share of genre shifting in recent years, to be fair–Logan, The Gifted and Deadpool have all proven to be successful experiments in putting a fresh coat of paint on the traditional superhero film. But those three examples still stick to the X-Men film formula of costumed weirdos fighting the government with flashy superpowers. Deadpool uses the formula as a form of mockery, The Gifted scales it down, and Logan just isolates it to what’s really the least flashy (but no less impressive) power in the X-film roster. Just as how audiences know what to expect from Marvel Studios or DC Entertainment movies, they have a fairly solid idea of what to expect from X-films, and New Mutants certainly isn’t that.
    Note-
    The gifted is not movie.
    X-Men: Dark Phoenix Has Officially Wrapped Production
    This movie, which is promising to do the Dark Phoenix story and get it right this time, is the X-Men movie that people are talking about the least. The reviews for X-Men: Apocalypse were not exactly positive. And while movies like Deadpool 2 and the The New Mutants are promising a very different X-Men movie experience, all evidence thus far points to this one following a formula that appears to not be working anymore. There were rumors that the X-Men were finally going to embrace outer space and get weird on us, but those were shut down. It’s yet another “grounded” X-Men movie.
    Last edited by mace11; 11-03-2018 at 12:24 AM.

Extraordinary Member

X-Men Dark Phoenix WILL BE a Disney Distributed X-Men Film

You Could view comments inside as well.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EithV1_xvzs
    Last edited by mace11; 11-03-2018 at 12:37 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Dark And Gritty Vs Light And Fun - What Makes A Better Comic-Book Movie - The John Campea Podcast

The talk starts around 30:30.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JrWzS3Frdc

Not sure why they would intentionally release a superhero film that people under a certain age couldn't see.

Extraordinary Member Divine Spark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mace11 View Post
    X-Men Dark Phoenix WILL BE a Disney Distributed X-Men Film

You Could view comments inside as well.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EithV1_xvzs
    That movie is not rated R.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Coal Tiger View Post
    Not sure why they would intentionally release a superhero film that people under a certain age couldn't see.
    If it fits the hero in question I don't see why not. Also, I'm not convinced an R rated would keep the youngins away. In my job I see many children who are fans of Deadpool and kids merch exist for the character.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    If it fits the hero in question I don't see why not.
    Birds of Prey is not one of those properties though.

It's such an adolescent value, pursuing an R rating for a movie as some kind of sign of maturity.