Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I feel like that would have come off better if Iron Man had been more of this figure from afar then someone who is so active in Peter's life that he's giving him costumes, tech, and mentoring and probably whatever else Peter might need in the future.
    Well, he's gonna be dead in the future, just like most of Peter's mentors.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    Well, he's gonna be dead in the future, just like most of Peter's mentors.
    One can hope .

(unless they try and turn Iron Man into MCU Peter's Uncle Ben ).

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Yeah, this is a frequent defense used by MJ supporters when any character outshines their favorite as a love interest.
    You said it, not me

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    The character does have several parallels to Ultimate MJ, down to specific scenes taken right from the comics. Whether this is just a byproduct of using USM as the source material or happenstance by common ideas of how modernize a teen Spidey love story can be debated. (I don't see it as a good or bad thing, just an interesting, to be honest.)
    Never really read the Ultimate comics. I do feel the modernization of her character for the film though probably does part in what's being perceived as a similarity? I don't think any one character owns the market on being head strong or sassy, or should.
    What Gwen also is in the Amazing movies though is: an academic, a science nerd (who ends up working for Oscorp no less), someone who has a police chief for a father, someone who isn't a model or an actress, and, y'know, blonde. So to me, pretty un-MJ.
    Last edited by Zeitgeist; 11-15-2018 at 09:09 AM.
    ♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪•*

♪ღ♪░NORAH░WINTERS░FOR░SPIDER-WAIFU░♪ღ♪

*•♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪•«

Quote Originally Posted by Zeitgeist View Post
    Never really read the Ultimate comics. I do feel the modernization of her character for the film though probably does part in what's being perceived as a similarity? I don't think any one character owns the market on being head strong or sassy, or should.
    What Gwen also is in the Amazing movies though is: an academic, a science nerd (who ends up working for Oscorp no less), someone who has a police chief for a father, someone who isn't a model or an actress, and, y'know, blonde. So to me, pretty un-MJ.
    You probably should have read Ultimate Spider-Man. You would have known U!MJ had the nickname "Brainy Janey."

(I am not making this up disclaimer.)

BANNED

Yeah, this is a frequent defense used by MJ supporters when any character outshines their favorite as a love interest. Heck, I've even been guilty of it myself with Michelle Jones in Homecoming. On the flipside, one could say Spinneret in RYV is stealing Spider-Gwen's act or is even a poor man's Ghost Spider. Not that I would ever make such an allegation.
    Friendly reminder RYV was outselling Spider-Gwen at one point.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Friendly reminder RYV was outselling Spider-Gwen at one point.
    It also dropped down to Spider-Gwen's level after only a couple of months.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    It also dropped down to Spider-Gwen's level after only a couple of months.
    Doesn't detract from my point.

Nobody outshines MJ. You can create some distance, but ultimately she's the ideal rubber band and snaps back into place with Peter while every other flavor of the month has their turn and fades away.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Doesn't detract from my point.

Nobody outshines MJ. You can create some distance, but ultimately she's the ideal rubber band and snaps back into place with Peter while every other flavor of the month has their turn and fades away.
    Tell my younger cousins and their friends that. They know who Ghost Spider/Spider-Gwen is but have no idea who Mary Jane is. I think the same would apply to many cosplayers and girls who dress up as either Ghost Spider or Black Cat on Halloween. I'm merely pointing out how few comic book audience "facts" are absolute, age groups and demographics are often important to a character's popularity or lack thereof.
    Last edited by Celgress; 11-15-2018 at 11:22 AM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Spectacular Member

No, just No

Tell my younger cousins and their friends that. They know who Ghost Spider/Spider-Gwen is but have no idea who Mary Jane is. I think the same would apply to many cosplayers and girls who dress up as either Ghost Spider or Black Cat on Halloween. I'm merely pointing out how few comic book audience "facts" are absolute, age groups and demographics are often important to a character's popularity or lack thereof.
    Insomniac's Spider-Man game sold over 3 million copies in its first three days of release. Let's not act like MJ is this great unknown factor in the Spider-franchise that is only known to the tens of thousands that pick up a Spider-Man comic these days.

Insomniac's Spider-Man game sold over 3 million copies in its first three days of release. Let's not act like MJ is this great unknown factor in the Spider-franchise that is only known to the tens of thousands that pick up a Spider-Man comic these days.
    I never said she was. I simply pointed out other characters are equally as popular if not more so, especially with certain groups such as causal or younger fans.

I never said she was. I simply pointed out other characters are equally as popular if not more so, especially with certain groups such as causal or younger fans.
    You used anecdotes to say "this character is unpopular."

You used anecdotes to say "this character is unpopular."
    I stated what I've personally observed. I also never said the character was unpopular rather other characters are likely more popular with certain people (which was in response to a blanket statement made by another poster). A statement I stand by.
    Last edited by Celgress; 11-15-2018 at 12:15 PM.

I stated what I've personally observed. I also never said the character was unpopular rather other characters are likely more popular with certain people.
    That's what an anecdote is.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/anecdote

Definition of anecdote
    : a usually short narrative of an interesting, amusing, or biographical incident

Are we really going to play this nitpicky game? Well, okay then -

ob·ser·va·tion
    /ˌäbzərˈvāSH(ə)n/Submit
    noun
    the action or process of observing something or someone carefully or in order to gain information.
    "she was brought into the hospital for observation"
    synonyms: monitoring, watching, scrutiny, examination, inspection, survey, surveillance, consideration, study, review
    "the patient has been brought in for observation"

Source - Google Search