Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

This may be sacrilege to fans of the original Gwen character but I feel Spider-Gwen is her having returned, in a sense. I like that through this alternate reality character (and her character being used in the Amazing films), that her stock as an important character in the Spider-Man mythos has risen again.
    ♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪•*

♪ღ♪░NORAH░WINTERS░FOR░SPIDER-WAIFU░♪ღ♪

*•♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪•«

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Zeitgeist View Post
    This may be sacrilege to fans of the original Gwen character but I feel Spider-Gwen is her having returned, in a sense. I like that through this alternate reality character (and her character being used in the Amazing films), that her stock as an important character in the Spider-Man mythos has risen again.
    I can't say you are wrong. The Amazing Spider-Man Movies aside the idea of Gwen, in general, was pretty irrelevant within modern Spidey related media before Spider-Gwen showed up. For example, I highly doubt Gwen would be a character featured in the new Animated Series if Spider-Gwen never existed.
    Last edited by Celgress; 11-13-2018 at 10:37 AM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Mighty Member

Despite Gwen making appearances in modern adaptions (Spider-Man the Animated Series finale, and Raimi's Spider-Man 3), she was pretty much not really noticeable until the Spectacular Spider-Man animated series, where she had a bit more of a major role.

I do wonder what the natural evolution of the character would have been like had she not passed though. Would she become what Carlie wishes she was?

As for the question at hand...no she should not return properly. Ben's death was Peter failing to act, Gwen's death was because he acted...

Quote Originally Posted by Mistah K88 View Post
    Despite Gwen making appearances in modern adaptions (Spider-Man the Animated Series finale, and Raimi's Spider-Man 3), she was pretty much not really noticeable until the Spectacular Spider-Man animated series, where she had a bit more of a major role.

I do wonder what the natural evolution of the character would have been like had she not passed though. Would she become what Carlie wishes she was?

As for the question at hand...no she should not return properly. Ben's death was Peter failing to act, Gwen's death was because he acted...
    I like that statement of yours fits spidey character

I don't really see Spider-Gwen as Gwen Stacy having "returned" since the characters are so different, but she has definitely been able to prove herself as a standalone character in a way the original Gwen probably couldn't.

I don't know if I'd say it's raised her stock in the mythos because I'm not sure people have worked out exactly how she works in the mythos now.

BANNED

I like that through this alternate reality character (and her character being used in the Amazing films)
    Gwne had to borrow traits from Mary Jane for those movies

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    For example, I highly doubt Gwen would be a character featured in the new Animated Series if Spider-Gwen never existed.
    Great example of said positive change.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I don't know if I'd say it's raised her stock in the mythos because I'm not sure people have worked out exactly how she works in the mythos now.
    I don't think she's a character that purely exists to be picked off by a villain, anymore. Which is only a good thing for so many reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Gwne had to borrow traits from Mary Jane for those movies
    Never got that impression once.

Never got that impression once.
    Gerry Conway did.

https://twitter.com/gerryconway/stat...06944960593923

Glenn Greenberg

@gerryconway Hey Gerry--had the Gwen Stacy of the comics been more like the Emma Stone version, would you still have wanted to kill her off?
    Gerry Conway

@GlennLGreenberg If the Gwen Stacy of the comics had been more like Emma Stone, she'd have been MJ. So, probably no.

That's his opinion. Still don't see it one bit.

That's his opinion. Still don't see it one bit.
    Yeah, this is a frequent defense used by MJ supporters when any character outshines their favorite as a love interest. Heck, I've even been guilty of it myself with Michelle Jones in Homecoming. On the flipside, one could say Spinneret in RYV is stealing Spider-Gwen's act or is even a poor man's Ghost Spider. Not that I would ever make such an allegation.
    Last edited by Celgress; 11-14-2018 at 07:30 AM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

While I enjoy reading different options and why we still can have different perspectives about a subject, characters, and how we hope a story to go. This also goes for writers as they are human with their own views of how they see characters and what directions they want characters to head towards and fandom.
    Conway is a MJ fan and MJ/Peter shipper and as soon as he became the writers he killed Gwen and began the road for MJ and Peter to be together which was different from Stan Lee's direction. The death was made for a few reasons one being to boost numbers (a tactic we see today), inspiration from a book series he read, to remove a love interest so his love interest and Peter could be together without the competition, and finally how he saw MJ and Gwen.

For Gwen he saw her as a character that was too perfect plus that Stan Lee made her based on his wife. While MJ he saw as 'broken' and to him only broken people can understand and get together.

Of course this isn't the feelings and thinking I got of the two just reading the issues that was made when Conway took over. If Gwen was 'too perfect' for Peter and Gwen to be together then as a writer he could of put on her a new road and wrote developments and personal shake ups being that power was his as a writer. He just got rid of her.

For MJ and how she was 'broken'. I didn't see it in the version Stan Lee made. That's not to say one can't WRITE her to be 'broken' and give examinations and use of psychology when becoming the writer. But while 616 MJ had some flaws (as did 616 Gwen) during the time before Conway I feel why can't a happy go lucky, party gal, though also selfish and not a person of responsibility (yet) be that also as is seen? Why do people who appear happy MUST be written as 'secretly they are broken'. Once more as a writer it's within his or her power to write such things and make it come to be but what signs made Conway see MJ as 'broken' as a viewpoint to her. Why can only broken people date broken people?
    That written both Peter and Gwen lost a father/father figure and knew that pain plus to me Gwen began acting in ways she care for others more than her own interests after grieving in London. This to me shows mentally a basic understanding and direction about caring for others.

If one thing stands as a connecting factor in the series for these three it seem DEATH always provides a shakeup and new direction or inspiration.
    When Uncle Ben died that shame/guilt by Peter for his lack of action that resulted in Ben paying the consequence provided his shakeup and direction as Spider-man and Peter Parker.
    For Gwen when her father died it of course made her grieve and lash out but afterwards it seem to impact a lesson how others in your life might one day not be there thus a infunance to why she seem less about the self and more worried emotionally and taking action to others plus a bit of guilty for her lashing out on Spider-man.
    MJ HOWEVER first impact death was later written after Conway to be her mother. This shakeup and impact went in the opposite direction where she cared only about herself and her desires and living for the now only.
    Then when Gwen died it's possible despite their catty remarks to each other they did so always believing they/Gwen would be their and that was how their life/MJ's life was going to be. They were friends but the catty remarks was their sparring matches and they would have fun and do so till the end of time. Gwen dying was a slap to MJ that removed the first shake up death and impacted a new shake up direction in MJ's life that resulted in MJ caring and being less selfish. The party ends and people you take for granted can be gone one day and you won't have that time with them agian and life never goes in directions you think it might.

That's how I saw these deaths and the personal disruptors and shake ups for the individual characters. Conway used Gwen's death to shake up MJ that would stand as the starting foundation to her new direction that lead to her and Peter getting together in the end but more importantly made MJ less selfish and a character I can be a fan of.

Now the characters have transformed from the people they use to be (though lost beloved people and friends remains in the hearts) those lessons and feelings the deaths made them move towards and feel have locked in the psyche.

If 616 Gwen did come back feel a writer could still make ti that any lesson from the first consequences would still be held inside the psyche of the characters due to its first impact and shake up that molded them but also it would allow 616 Gwen to make comments about not just technology, history and culture changes that has taken place since she died and returned but how MJ was a fresh college student and only cared for parties and her self interests and sparring matches between them but now returned MJ has become a totally new person (plus older in her 30's) then whom she once was.

As humans we all are transforming and being impacted and making 1000 choices that leads to directions we don't even know we are making and walking towards. The person we were 10 years ago can be very different from who we are now and ten years from now we might be very different once more til death. With Stan Lee's death and being 616 Gwen existed purely during Stan Lee's run if 616 version one Gwen returned she could comment and compare and contrast the writing and thinking style of Stan Lee's run to every other writer of the Spider-man series to present to the characters.

I also love Spinneret (my favorite MJ version currently though like all characters I love a few flaws and I'm also harcher on them for it which is also a good thing) but I would love to have 616 give her competition to my 'favorite MJ versions' yet be different from that MJ version and both coexist individuals.

For example, I highly doubt Gwen would be a character featured in the new Animated Series if Spider-Gwen never existed.
    Well, yeah, that show is all about featuring other Spider-Heroes instead of Spider-Man's normal supporting characters, even if they don't actually write that version of Gwen like Spider-Gwen.

Conversely Mary Jane isn't even featured on that show in any way, shape or form that matters.
    I don't think she's a character that purely exists to be picked off by a villain, anymore. Which is only a good thing for so many reasons.
    From a character standpoint I can see it, even if I think it's more true for Spider-Gwen then it is the original Gwen Stacy connected to Peter.
    Yeah, this is a frequent defense used by MJ supporters when any character outshines their favorite as a love interest. Heck, I've even been guilty of it myself with Michelle Jones in Homecoming. On the flipside, one could say Spinneret in RYV is stealing Spider-Gwen's act or is even a poor man's Ghost Spider. Not that I would ever make such an allegation.
    I mean, if comic Gwen was written as a supportive, strong, and capable confidante for Peter (like Mary Jane usually is) like she was in the movie, I think it's easier to see Conway's point.

I wouldn't say Spinneret is stealing Spider-Gwen's act when they're so different. The only thing they have in common are being Peter Parker love interests with spider-powers...and I guess also getting attached to the Venom symbiote.

For the record, the "Amazing Spider-Man" films are still terrible.

I realize this is meant to be a dig at my comments, but other than a power set (which neither of them actually originated), their roles in their respective books are worlds different. These kind of comparisons only work when there's something actually there.
    Last edited by Kevinroc; 11-14-2018 at 03:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    For the record, the "Amazing Spider-Man" films are still terrible.
    I'll still defend some parts of those movies .

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I'll still defend some parts of those movies .
    Is it the parts they clearly cribbed from the Raimi films?