Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Default Do you think Gwen Stacy should ever return?

Given in the Spider-Man mythos her death impacted him do you think she should ever return in some way? I personally think that it would be good to see her return in an unexpected way as the Green Goblin. I know it sounds crazy but I think it would be a good story arc we always see Norman Osborn or Harry as the Green Goblin I think a good twist would be for a new Green Goblin to pop up and cause trouble for Norman of all people like how Green Goblin caused trouble for Tombstone in Spectacular Spiderman and I'd like to see something like that but done with Norman and a new Goblin.

Ultimately the new Green Goblin could be left as ambiguous for a while being completely chaotic and psychotic like Cletus Kassidy level crazy with Peter completely sure Norman is behind it and then the big twist is that Norman is as clueless who the new Green Goblin is as Peter and the new Green Goblin starts kidnapping people associated with Gwen starting with her killer Norman with all sorts of people between including maybe even Jackal (guy's a creep and cloned Gwen I think so I can see there being a grudge there) and it ends with Peter after a long investigation being the final abductee by the new Goblin who intends to hold a trial for Gwen's death.

Up to the end Peter believes that Norman is behind it and then gets free and everyone escapes as Peter battles the new Goblin and unmasks him only to find out it's not Norman but Gwen whose revealed to be alive some how and completely insane. It comes out someone tried to bring Gwen back from the dead and thought they failed but in fact succeeded and Gwen came back but her mind was completely shattered and had haunting memories of the Green Goblin then one day as she was wandering the city homeless she stumbled on to one of Norman's Green Goblin lairs long abandoned and forgotten some how got exposed to goblin gas and went even more insane ultimately deciding to become the Green Goblin herself.

I'd really like to see Peter react to seeing a crazy Gwen and how he would deal with it especially if she became Green Goblin.

Essentially a situation like this.

No if I'm being honest same for Uncle ben too. Although death has no meaning in comics due to alternate realities or past version of characters.

No.10101010

Astonishing Member

No. Norman Osborn, Kraven the Hunter and Aunt May should also have stayed dead.

Spider-Gwen: Ghost Spider #3 will have Spider-Gwen meeting a Gwen Goblin from an alternate reality, so we'll be able to see how that played out.

I also still believe that the Gwen clone from The Clone Conspiracy may still alive, so there's always that possibility if somebody in the future decides they want to bring her back in some way.

BANNED

Ben Reilly would relate to her.

In 616 (unless there is say a reboot), hard no.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by Batman Begins 2005 View Post
    ......Kraven the Hunter and Aunt May should also have stayed dead.
    I couldn't agree with you more as neither has done anything that warrants the resurrections which spoiled their memorable exit stories.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

I just really don't see the point of bringing 616 Gwen back.

We already have Spider-Gwen and she's the Gwen people care about now.

For comics I don't believe being locked in a 'permanency'. Nothing is permanent or guaranteed and new storylines and developments and changes happen all the time. Granted many times things go and revert back but once in a while a writer or writers stay to a new path made instead.

For me it's only one thing that must be done if 616 Gwen return somehow (and that might not even be from death as we might meet a character that can talk to the dead): Quilty and long term plans story arcs importance. This kind of goes for all characters. Is the storyline well written, good/great, and character developments and plans beyond just one storyline/arc? Any character can go anywhere if the writer makes a masterpiece. If 616 Gwen is brought back it must hold purpose or something important as some characters can be handwaved returned but for Gwen being dead and gone for so long that it's a institutionalization thinking for many of 'what must be' means the stakes are higher (yet disruptive to norms if well done can be spectacular and I can respect writers that don't play it safe taking the bigger chance but prepared and worked hard on this work for maybe 5 years before releasing the story arc and 616 Gwen and her growth and all the whys).

I can enjoy many different MJs of the Multiverse while 616 MJ exists so for Gwen that's hold true as well even though Gwen of Earth-65 has enter as the first Gwen some people think of now when saying 'Gwen Stacy' (which is fine and even great as having different views and even whom you 'see' when saying a name is fine as when somebody said Gwen Stacy to me before 2011-4 I think of animated Spectacular Spider-man version first).

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Batman Begins 2005 View Post
    No. Norman Osborn, Kraven the Hunter and Aunt May should also have stayed dead.
    Co-sign.

Gwen coming back needs a real (longer than a story arc) hook and plan. Is she Peter's new one true love (and if so, why her, and why are we doing one true loves again)? What's her role in the book otherwise? Can her manner of return undo Sins Past? If not, why are we even doing this?

The reason Kraven's return was dumb was there was no hook for keeping him around - it's not just that his death was iconic, but his rebirth didn't change him to make him interesting. Norman's return wasn't because he was planned out, but because they'd written themselves into a corner and couldn't think of another way out (which led to those weird other Goblin stories, insane retcons to keep Norman out of jail, etc.). Bucky, on the other hand, had a very well-planned return which included giving him a new place in the MU, a pitch for a new series, etc. I'm out on Gwen coming back unless her return has at least Bucky-level planning on making the new status quo work.

Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    Spider-Gwen: Ghost Spider #3 will have Spider-Gwen meeting a Gwen Goblin from an alternate reality, so we'll be able to see how that played out.

I also still believe that the Gwen clone from The Clone Conspiracy may still alive, so there's always that possibility if somebody in the future decides they want to bring her back in some way.
    I like that version and had hopes for that version of Gwen and ideas in my head of what could of been for that version. Plus me just wanting to buck that 'norm' of Gwen clones dying before they can be established or grow into a person fan might like and be human individuals with some we might love and other we don't but lack any opportunities allowing that in a 'just because she was made/resulted by science' vibes.

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

Not really no if I'm being honest. I'm fine with Spider-Gwen as it's an interesting alternative reality but in the main Universe I'm not convinced it'd work personally.

BANNED

Gwen is as interesting as a blade of grass. Hard pass.

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

Not really. Gwen Stacy as she existed in the '60s, and '70s was never a terribly compelling character. She had her moments, but she was very much a generic girlfriend character though admittedly a prominent one.

Ghost-Spider-Gwen is fairly enjoyable as is, I don't really see the benefit of bringing the mainstream version back in any permanent capacity.