Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Can we start calling the Disney streaming service Disney+ now. It has been named that for months and the name was reiterated in their recent statements. It seems strange that nobody ever uses its name. Perhaps it is a poorly chosen name, based on the way nobody seems to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    Those numbers are speculative. At best, they're incomplete because they only track US numbers, but there's no way to know if even the US numbers are accurate. Furthermore, they're not the reason Luke Cage was cancelled. Luke Cage had a third season commissioned. If the issue was ratings, they wouldn't have gotten that. It was cancelled due to a creative dispute. Now maybe the numbers are lower so Netlfix decided it wasn't worth starting over after the dispute, maybe everyone just decided to move on rather than rush something when they couldn't agree. I don't know. But the point remains that the guesswork numbers posted there were not the main factor.
    Clear minded as always. I can only add that Netflix clearly know what they want and they are a very demanding and discerning customer. When we boil this down it seems to have been akin to an artist not being able to satisfy a client, with the artist walking away first. That doesn’t mean the artist or the client are wrong, indeed it is probably better for us as viewers that they didn’t try and paper over the obvious cracks between the client’s expectations and the artist’s vision.

The rest is mostly speculation. We do indeed know that Netflix wanted a third season, and that progress was quite advanced. The writer’s room was already developing the show but those efforts were put on hold while Marvel and Coker reworked it into a shorter season. That in itself seems a reasonable request. Netflix and their rivals have proven over the last few months that there is a demand for shorter seasons. My guess is that thirteen hours is just a little too long for the average weekend box-set binge.

Once the show was reworked based on this shorter requirement and the notes from Netflix Choker seems to have got fed up. Seeing the demands as either unreasonable or just too demanding. That’s a regrettable situation and one that could potentially damage the relationship between Marvel and Netflix. IP concerns are entirely tangential to this. Disney+ is not going to want second hand shows during its launch. Netflix is not going to want its shows handed to the competition without financial compensation, Marvel would be wise not to get embroiled in a fight between media companies.

We know from the grapevine that Disney has instructed Marvel not to strike new deals with IP while they solidify their Disney+ plans, but we shouldn’t assume this means we will never see such deals again, or that it is in Disney’s interests to pull the plug on existing deals. Just because the streaming distribution rights to MCU and other Disney movies are being pulled into an in-house streaming service doesn’t imply that Disney want all of its eggs in one basket. Especially when some of those eggs will potentially break in the transfer from one basket to another.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 11-14-2018 at 02:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    Can we start calling the Disney streaming service Disney+ now. It has been named that for months and the name was reiterated in their recent statements. It seems strange that nobody ever uses its name. Perhaps it is a poorly chosen name, based on the way nobody seems to use it.
    I thought they recently said the name was Disney Play?

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    I thought they recently said the name was Disney Play?
    No. We have the logo and everything. See here. This didn't come as a surprise because they referred to it as Disney+ months ago.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 11-14-2018 at 07:33 AM.

BANNED

Honestly I am hoping Bob Iger and Kevin Fiege at the very least look at these series and banter a deal or tow to bring these two heroes into the greater MCU within the Disney + series.

I mean Luke Cage and Iron Fist are Avengers too, right ?

Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    Honestly I am hoping Bob Iger and Kevin Fiege at the very least look at these series and banter a deal or tow to bring these two heroes into the greater MCU within the Disney + series.

I mean Luke Cage and Iron Fist are Avengers too, right ?
    Realistically this isn't going to happen. Disney will want to make their mark with new original content not second hand content with the hint of bad dealings behind the scenes. It's bad marketing and bad PR. Even a Hulu deal is highly unlikely if Disney end up running the show there. The only realistic option is for Netflix to convince Marvel and Disney to let them commission a new show. That deal is supposedly off the table right now, but deals can always be done as long as Marvel and Netflix have a working relationship and good will. We could theoretically see a Heroes for Hire deal if Netflix commission Daredevil 4 and the right people can be convinced it is in everyone's best interest to continue working together.