Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

I would just have it be a cilvian if. From time to time a girl needs some time to get away. So I don’t think secret is would fit rather Civilan id. I wonder one thing I did like about Azz we did see Diana just having time to herself. Going out and not many people knowing she is Wonder Woman. I would like more of that. She Diana letting herself relax once in awhile

We talked about her being a teacher. Maybe the secret identity is to make sure that her students aren't starstruck or joining just because it's her.

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    I would just have it be a cilvian if. From time to time a girl needs some time to get away. So I don’t think secret is would fit rather Civilan id. I wonder one thing I did like about Azz we did see Diana just having time to herself. Going out and not many people knowing she is Wonder Woman. I would like more of that. She Diana letting herself relax once in awhile
    For that, she just needs to be able to disguise herself for those moments. She doesn't need a full-on secret identity for that

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Ha! Indeed she would!

What's her favorite flavor? I want to say I read it was vanilla........

Well, Clark's a hypocrite for a lot of reasons, not the least of which is his habit of lying even when he doesn't have to. But he *is* Clark Kent. He *did* grow up in Smallville and decided to become a journalist. He *does* have photo albums and all the rest of it. "Clark Kent" isn't a lie, it's a secret. With Diana, the secret identity would be a complete and total falsehood....and what purpose does it serve her? It doesn't really add anything she can't already do or have. She already can have "civilian" friends who don't work for Argus or wear capes. She already can go out for dinner. She can do all those "normal people" things without the baggage of maintaining a full blown secret identity.

The only gain here seems to be putting a troupe in her mythos just because other heroes are doing it.
    Im not necessarily advocating the secret id. I like it but I don’t think it’s absolutely necessary for me to enjoy Wonder Woman. However, giving Diana her secret ID back is not “putting a troupe in her mythos just because other heroes are doing it” Diana Prince is an original core concept of the characters mythos. They are tied. Wonder Woman/Diana Prince is part of the reason a secret identity is a trope. I think COIE did some great things for Wonder Woman but I firmly believe it was the beginning of the tear down and rebuild in the authors image routine that each new creative team has adopted. Getting rid of half of her character, limiting the powers of her lasso, eliminating her love interest and replacing her cast of characters may have seemed like a good idea at the time but it really damaged the mythos permanently.

Quote Originally Posted by Bound4olympus View Post
    Im not necessarily advocating the secret id. I like it but I don’t think it’s absolutely necessary for me to enjoy Wonder Woman. However, giving Diana her secret ID back is not “putting a troupe in her mythos just because other heroes are doing it” Diana Prince is an original core concept of the characters mythos. They are tied. Wonder Woman/Diana Prince is part of the reason a secret identity is a trope. I think COIE did some great things for Wonder Woman but I firmly believe it was the beginning of the tear down and rebuild in the authors image routine that each new creative team has adopted. Getting rid of half of her character, limiting the powers of her lasso, eliminating her love interest and replacing her cast of characters may have seemed like a good idea at the time but it really damaged the mythos permanently.
    The secret identity was an established trope in superheroes by the time Marston created Wonder Woman. Virtually every superhero starting from Superman himself had it. It wasn't an original concept within the WW mythos.

As for the rest, I feel this is a scapegoat of COIE because it ignores that DC has a huge problem with learning from mistakes and WW had been reinvented at least twice prior to this.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 11-10-2018 at 11:23 PM.

I never said full on secert Id. I just said her using the Diana Prince is every day and then for few times. Try but Diana already is kind of hard to blend in . I’m not saying she needs a 9 to 5. Rather why couldn’t just decide to use a name. Especially if she has gone undercover many times throughout Dc universe. She would also need a name for getting that house before she was famous. Unless Argus paid for that house

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    The secret identity was an established trope in superheroes by the time Marston created Wonder Woman. Virtually every superhero starting from Superman himself had it. It wasn't an original concept within the WW mythos.

As for the rest, I feel this is a scapegoat of COIE because it ignores that DC has a huge problem with learning from mistakes and WW had been reinvented at least twice prior to this.
    Yeah they seem to want to use those reboots to "wipe the slate clean", but... in the long run that makes more work because they now NEED to retell stories that have been told already.

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Yeah they seem to want to use those reboots to "wipe the slate clean", but... in the long run that makes more work because they now NEED to retell stories that have been told already.
    I don't think they need to. After all, the point of a reboot is to start afresh which means not doing the exact same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bound4olympus View Post
    Well, the "tear down" of Diana started basically as soon as Marston left, though I would agree that the shifts weren't as big as what we've seen since the Crisis events started. And yes, that constant re-imagining of Diana's world is a huge problem for the franchise and (IMO) the leading reason why she's lagged behind Clark and Bruce.

And it's true that Marston put the secret ID in place, and as I said earlier in the thread the concept deserves some recognition and consideration for that. But I've considered and recognized it, and I believe it's one of those things that doesn't, and perhaps shouldn't, continue to be used in the mainstream version. Characters, especially from that era, always end up shedding some aspect of their original design. Batman used to use guns, Superman grew up in an orphanage, etc. Those things were changed and removed, and I think Diana having a full fledged secret identity should be one of those things too. A civilian ID that lets her order a pizza is sufficient. In my opinion of course.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Diana is not the type of person to hide who she is.

If she did have to use Diana it’s simply for property. I mean she wasn’t a recognized person when she came. So I don’t mind her using it for simple reasons.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Well, Clark's a hypocrite for a lot of reasons,
    I said nothing about anyone being a hypocrite and I was suggesting it's a very different kind of Truth that Superman and Wonder Woman stand for and might not be truth in petty terms like keeping secrets from the public. Rather it's truth as a Platonic ideal. And that's something they are fighting for as an ultimate goal.

If you are fighting for Love among all of humanity, that doesn't mean that you need to go around kissing everyone on the planet and if you don't you must be a hypocrite. Yet comic book fans like to engage in such gamesmanship where they establish a set of arbitrary rules for the characters and then they attack the characters for not conforming to those rules.

If keeping stuff hidden means that a character is insincere, then where does that end? Superman and Wonder Woman must go out in their birthday suits and if they dare to clothe their bodies and keep parts of themselves hidden, then they're hypocrites. This is the kind of silly argument that readers impose on the stories and if the writers had to follow that logic their hands would be tied to do anything creative with the characters.

But maybe Clark and Diana are smart people and they aren't going to engage in this reductio ad absurdum kind of thinking. They see the big picture and realize that using a secret identity can sometimes help in their mission. Just like cops will often work undercover and aren't bound to reveal their true identities to everyone all the time, when they are pursuing justice for the wronged.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I said nothing about anyone being a hypocrite and I was suggesting it's a very different kind of Truth that Superman and Wonder Woman stand for and might not be truth in petty terms like keeping secrets from the public. Rather it's truth as a Platonic ideal. And that's something they are fighting for as an ultimate goal.
    What? No I know you weren't calling anyone a hypocrite. I was (and 90% in jest, at that!). I was pointing out that Clark might not be the best example, given his long history of lying for no good reason (and not about his identity).

And I know what you're saying about the ideal of truth (come on man, I'm not that dense). I'm saying I dont believe that Diana would chase *any* ideal with a secret identity because it (usually) serves no real purpose for her and goes against her characterization. And yeah, the whole theme of "truth" does come into play with Di, but that's a relatively minor consideration compared to Diana as a character, where (in my opinion) the effort of a secret ID just doesn't mesh and isn't worthwhile.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

I love the Diana Prince identity and aspect of her personality learning about and experiencing Patriarch's World amongst them. Just because she has a tool that compels truth doesn't make her the avatar of truth. (I never enjoyed the absolutism that Byrne ushered into people's minds with his concept of Diana becoming the goddess of truth.) Diana is far from perfect and the Diana Prince identity is one way to play that up while giving her a semblance of a non-Wonder life.

To me, she's probably independently wealthy (I'm guessing Themyscira was blessed with precious metals and gems) and a full time adventurer. Sometimes a lecturer at Holliday University or whichever museum Helena Sandsmark curates as Wonder Woman and other times a freelance agent with ARGUS tracking down artifacts and technology or beings for the Red and Black Rooms and the Circus, respectively. And maybe, there are other instances we haven't thought of yet that lend themselves to the finesse of Diana Prince alongside the force that is Wonder Woman. Regardless, I'm ready to suspend my disbelief around a secret identity as much as willing to about the power and panache of Wonder Woman.

Retired

It just occurred to me that Marston might have got the idea for Diana to take the place of Diana Prince from THE PRINCE AND THE PAUPER by Mark Twain--and calling her Prince was a sly way of pointing to that idea.

Of course, there are lots of tales of the high and mighty pretending to be people of lower station so they may walk among the common folk and better understand their lot. Also with the theme of loving submission, Wonder Woman allows herself to be demeaned in the role of Diana Prince to demonstrate humility.