Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    The secret identity was an established trope in superheroes by the time Marston created Wonder Woman. Virtually every superhero starting from Superman himself had it. It wasn't an original concept within the WW mythos.
    An 'established trope' after just 3 years? And a tiny handful of heroes? Nah. It's a trope now, because of Superman, Wonder Woman and Batman.

And I agree 100% with Bound4olympus. Diana Prince was half the story, half the character. It was shoertsighted to remove that aspect of the character. And to wait decades to replace it again.
    It's not about 'deserve' it's about what you believe. And I believe in Love.

Standing Member

It was established with the Scarlet Pimpernel, Zorro, the Spider, the Green Hornet, Black Bat, Domino Lady, the Phantom (Detective), the Clock. The Shadow (depending on the source material) would borrow the Lamont Cranston identity from the real Lamont Cranston, while Lee Falk's Phantom is a series of men who inherit the name and costume.
    sorry 🍁

Quote Originally Posted by RealWonderman View Post
    An 'established trope' after just 3 years? And a tiny handful of heroes? Nah. It's a trope now, because of Superman, Wonder Woman and Batman.
    I'd argue that the secret identity part of superheroes is older than that, even if the genre didn't become fully formed until the late 30s. But earlier than that you had proto-superheroes like The Phantom, Zorro, The Shadow, and even earlier The Scarlet Pimpernel.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    It was established with the Scarlet Pimpernel, Zorro, the Spider, the Green Hornet, Black Bat, Domino Lady, the Phantom (Detective), the Clock. The Shadow (depending on the source material) would borrow the Lamont Cranston identity from the real Lamont Cranston, while Lee Falk's Phantom is a series of men who inherit the name and costume.
    Those are not superheroes. The post I responded to says: The secret identity was an established trope in superheroes by the time Marston created Wonder Woman
    Last edited by RealWonderman; Today at 01:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    I'd argue that the secret identity part of superheroes is older than that, even if the genre didn't become fully formed until the late 30s. But earlier than that you had proto-superheroes like The Phantom, Zorro, The Shadow, and even earlier The Scarlet Pimpernel.
    Sure, however, he post I responded to says specifically "The secret identity was an established trope in superheroes by the time Marston created Wonder Woman." Whether it was a trope elsewhere wasn't the discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by RealWonderman View Post

And I agree 100% with Bound4olympus. Diana Prince was half the story, half the character. It was shoertsighted to remove that aspect of the character. And to wait decades to replace it again.
    Yes after three years given how common it was.

Diana Prince didn’t offer anything new as a concept and its no coincidence that she’s been part of multiple reviled stories since her return.