Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

The thing is how do you make Diana Prince is unique to Diana? I mean for one instant not to go with the whole she also would put people In danger if her villains ever found out about her.

Alternatively, it *might* be interesting for Diana to adopt the Diana Prince ID for a while and discover it doesn’t really work for her.

I want there to be a Jekyll/Hyde thing, where they transform into each other without realizing it.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    I want there to be a Jekyll/Hyde thing, where they transform into each other without realizing it.
    That wouldn't be such a bad thing.

As I indicated before, my preference is that Diana Prince and Princess Diana are two separate people--and Wonder Woman just borrows the identity from time to time. Or failing that, if there's only one of them, then Diana Prince is the legal name she has in the USA.

And my preference is always that heroes have a personal life, where they aren't dressed up in ornate costumes and putting on the dog. And that they live in a regular community, with regular people having interactions like the rest of us. The big super-hero formula plots are always on order, but I like a lot of the personal life drama, too, where they're just being people and not displaying their powers. The kind of thing Stan Lee used to do all the time in AMAZING SPIDER-MAN with Peter Parker.

It just seems to me, a character wearing a T-shirt, jeans and windbreaker is going to have more honest relationships with others, than they would when wearing a tiara, jackboots and kilt.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    That wouldn't be such a bad thing.

As I indicated before, my preference is that Diana Prince and Princess Diana are two separate people--and Wonder Woman just borrows the identity from time to time. Or failing that, if there's only one of them, then Diana Prince is the legal name she has in the USA.

And my preference is always that heroes have a personal life, where they aren't dressed up in ornate costumes and putting on the dog. And that they live in a regular community, with regular people having interactions like the rest of us. The big super-hero formula plots are always on order, but I like a lot of the personal life drama, too, where they're just being people and not displaying their powers. The kind of thing Stan Lee used to do all the time in AMAZING SPIDER-MAN with Peter Parker.

It just seems to me, a character wearing a T-shirt, jeans and windbreaker is going to have more honest relationships with others, than they would when wearing a tiara, jackboots and kilt.
    Phil Jiminez did that in his WW story that featured Lois Lane.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Even in the Golden Age, Wonder Woman hung out with the Holliday Girls, a group of civilians that went with her on adventures.

Just have her hang out with them as Diana even when she isn't in superhero mode. As Diana Prince, she didn't have much of a social life. Lack of a social life with a developed civilian cast can be a problem with this property, but adding this impractical fake double life isn't going to help.

I think the biggest Diana Prince subplot we've ever had was when her boss kept hitting on her.

Except Diana herself is probably more comfortable in the kilt and tiara. There's a cultural component to how Diana is going to view herself and her interactions, and she grew up in a warrior culture where people wore kilts and tiaras and jackboots. A toga is her "Friday casual" you know? Her armor is just work clothes.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Retired

But it's not just about her comfort--even if I don't think the full WW regalia would be that comfortable for lounging around the house--it's about making people feel comfortable enough around her that they can relate to her as a person rather than a personage.

That's one of the keys to why Superman is Clark Kent when he's not in super-hero mode, because he wants people to feel like they can talk to him as one human to another. Even the royal family doesn't dress up all the time--they wear regular clothes when they're not on duty.

There might be some people (certain presidents perhaps) who want others to bow and scrape around them, but I think most people want to be treated like regular folks. And wearing that WW outfit is not going to put people at ease around her, where they can be themselves.

And from an artistic standpoint, I much prefer when characters are shown wearing a variety of different outfits. It's uninteresting to me to see the heroes always in the exact same costume on every page, in every issue. Real people don't do that, they change their clothes all the time. And it gives the artists more to do with the characters--changing the style and the colours to go with the mood of a scene.

Look, artists already can draw Diana in regular clothes. Maybe not jeans and t-shirt (that doesn't really fit her IMO), but here are some civilian styles she's worn when the story has called for it. If writers want to explore her private or civilian life, they already can do so, without bothering with making up a secret identity.

The Brave and the Bold 33, "Ladies' Night"

Brave-and-the-Bold-033-pg-09.jpg

Trinity 1, "Better Together"

Trinity (2016-) 001-014.jpg

Wonder Woman 26, "Heart of the Amazon"

Wonder Woman (2016-) 026-020.jpg

I would say no to the secret identity but yes to the idea. If we go by the idea that Superman is the secret and Kent the public/ Batman the secret and Wayne the public. Then it would be natural for Diana to be in the middle and have no disguise, just always be her.

I'm against the Secret Identity because Diana should not have to lie. She does not have to create a fake civilian identity to talk with people, she should go out to see them because it's a possibility. Including a more " civilian " aspect to the Wonder Woman character by having her teach children is a wonderful idea I absolutely agree with but lies and manipulations are not required for it to happen. She can just go out and see them as Wonder Woman

Retired

Yeah, I don't agree with the idea, that some people seem to have, that Diana thinks of herself as real hot stuff and a total princess or a total warrior, always going around being the high and mighty Wonder Woman. I think she would have more humility than that. She's not Batman.

But I think posters are applying a rigorous sort of logic to what they constitute as a lie. Not everyone commits criminal lies, but we all lie without even being aware we're doing it. We create user names online. We present an image to the world that best represents us. We claim to believe in science or religion with absolute certainty when secretly we have doubts.

I'm not saying that the identity should be fake--but Diana should be allowed to have what we all have--multiple personas. Some of these might not be secret, but some might need to be for simple reasons of security. Suppose that Diana wants to live a regular life and she rents an apartment in a building--but openly doing so will attract the press and criminals that puts her neighbours in danger--so she does so under a different name and she's careful about how she enters and leaves the buidling.

Or do we readers want Diana to live in an ivory tower with no neighbours or friends? If she checks into a hotel does she have to make a big show of it and declare to the masses that she's "Diana of Themyscira, the One True Wonder Woman!" or else be labelled a liar?

Or do we readers want Diana to live in an ivory tower with no neighbours or friends? If she checks into a hotel does she have to make a big show of it and declare to the masses that she's "Diana of Themyscira, the One True Wonder Woman!" or else be labelled a liar?
    I think Diana can have all of those things, and she does. But she can have them without the need of a entire identity dedicated to "acting normal." She can have a basic "civilian ID" that lets her do regular, normal person things and hang out with regular, normal people, without having to life a complete double life.

She needs more of a "Matches Malone" identity than she needs a "Clark Kent." Just something she can use to keep life on the down low.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

What you describe is what faces plenty of celebrities in the real world, and they all have different strategies to deal with it. But one thing is clear, it makes it hard to form new and lasting social relations. And it is a big part of the reason why there are high-status hotels: a big part of their value to celebrities isn't the big rooms or the luxury, but that they place discretion high on their list of priorities.

The focus on having separate apartments and identities sort of places the cart before the horse. Diana, like everyone else, needs people that she can bitch to safely, let her hair down, laugh with, and get a hug from. For that she needs Steve Trevor or Etta Candy or Black Canary or Vanessa Kapatelis or Charlie or Sameer or the Chief: people for who she is Diana first and Wonder Woman second.