Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

No... because her story works just fine without her needing a secret identity. Plus it makes her unique.

Retired

It's become pretty common for super-heroes not to have "secret" identities and there were always some characters that never had them, like Elongated Man and Aquaman. I'm not so sure about the "secret" part, but why would any famous person always be "on" all the time--all celebrities have a private life and Diana would, too. No one has a single identity in the world--we all have different identities that we adopt depending where we are and what we are doing. Most of us even get called by different names depending on the situation we're in at the time.

I was fond of the Agent Pierce ID in Simone/Heisenberg runs but that ID feels like its running on borrowed time. It should blow up in her face spectacularly.

Other than that I'm cool with her not having a secret iD.

I kinda miss the Diana Prince alter-ego, but it's definitely not necessary. She could keep it and it be part of her universe, as it were, but only as a "civilian" identity....Something she can sign a check or make a dinner reservation with :-)

Extraordinary Member

If the current version of Diana isn't going to have any of the character beats/trappings of the Teacher/Lecturer /Diplomat Perez Wonder Woman (a Publicist, Speech Writer, etc) of a public persona, she might as well have the Intelligence Agent secret Id back with IT'S character beats/trappings (Secretary, Partner, Nick Fury-esq boss).

Since the only other option is her hang out with Steve Trevor and/or other Supers and waiting around for a safe to fall on somebody's head (or a baby to get kidnapped).

I suspect it would be super-rebelled against now as a means of "de-powering" the character (even though she wouldn't lose her powers by pretending to be human).

Plus now, it would be the Clark Kent scenario again, a woman who looks just like Wonder Woman only with glasses and tamped-down hair (presumably).

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

I’m re-reading the Gerry Conway run from the late 70’s-80’s, where he reinstated the Diana Prince identity, and gotta say I love it. It was nice to see how he used the identity.
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:
    /Doctor Strange/Captain Marvel\Scarlet Witch\
    /Iron Man/Captain Britain/Wasp\X-Men\
    /JSA\/X-Treme X-Men\/WILDCATS\

https://comic-watch.com/author/baradtzgmail-com

Yes, DC should.
    “You see…the rest of them are soldiers. But [Wonder Woman] is an artist.”

I only support the made of clay origin.

Incredible Member Amazon Swordsman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    Or going clubbing, as in this memorable example:

Attachment 73258

(Brave and the Bold v3 #33, "Ladies Night")

Ahahaha!! I love this! Definitely something I’d do.

While Diana doesn't "need" a secret identity, per se, I like that the idea that it's out there when it's convenient for her to use.

Convenient reasons would be for doing more mundane things like dining out, getting a driver's license, signing the paperwork on an apartment,etc.
    It doesn't need to define her the way "Clark Kent" is core to Superman, but it would allow her to make a dinner reservation without arriving to a barrage of paparazzi.

Nah, there's really no need for her to have it. Her occasionally going out in disguise is fine but a full-time identity where she has a 9-5 job and pays taxes under this name.... nah lol

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I was fond of the Agent Pierce ID in Simone/Heisenberg runs but that ID feels like its running on borrowed time. It should blow up in her face spectacularly.

Other than that I'm cool with her not having a secret iD.
    That really annoyed me. She's a political figure, next in line to rule one of the most powerful, dangerous, advanced nations on earth...and she's sticking her fingers in another country's intelligence organizations? That has never felt right to me.

Plus there's the whole thing about Diana being the avatar/god/big support of Truth; her spending half her life pretending to be a regular citizen, with a social security number and taxes.....that turns her whole life into a lie and I don't care for it. The other heroes like Clark and Barry who have secret identities grew up with those names and those social security numbers, those names are a part of who they are. It'd be totally different for Diana, and I don't think it fits her character at all.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

So Diana should never lie? Diana hasn't always been honest if it's for the greater good. She has kept information from the goverment or others. This whole avatar of truth things make no sense. It makes her feel less human. She despite being a amazon and now demi-god has always been human. I mean if we take the appoarah of her being immigrant and wanting to make sure she is doing the right thing when it comes to other countries laws wouldn't it make sense for her to have a civilian id? She isn't lying she just doing everyday things. Why would she 100% always want to be in the spotlight? Wouldn't she want to go into a bookstore or museum.
    Last edited by AmiMizuno; 11-05-2018 at 08:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    That really annoyed me. She's a political figure, next in line to rule one of the most powerful, dangerous, advanced nations on earth...and she's sticking her fingers in another country's intelligence organizations? That has never felt right to me.

Plus there's the whole thing about Diana being the avatar/god/big support of Truth; her spending half her life pretending to be a regular citizen, with a social security number and taxes.....that turns her whole life into a lie and I don't care for it. The other heroes like Clark and Barry who have secret identities grew up with those names and those social security numbers, those names are a part of who they are. It'd be totally different for Diana, and I don't think it fits her character at all.
    Those are the restrictions I was talking about lol we need a whole thread on whether Wonder Woman can lie or not. Sure she wields the Lasso of Truth but I think it's going too far to say because of that she can't have a secret id or be in any way deceptive.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    Those are the restrictions I was talking about lol we need a whole thread on whether Wonder Woman can lie or not. Sure she wields the Lasso of Truth but I think it's going too far to say because of that she can't have a secret id or be in any way deceptive.
    Oh, I think Diana can lie, of course she can. She's probably bad at it but its not like she's incapable of lying at all.

But there's a ocean of difference between "Table for two, reservation is under the name "Prince'" and living a completely fabricated life, complete with fake social security number, that is in no way genuine, and working for a government agency under an assumed name when she's really next in line to rule a foreign nation (I was talking specifically about the Heinburg run, or however the hell you spell the name).

Clearly Diana isn't overly concerned with obeying American laws, since she came her illegally and (depending on the era) works outside of law enforcement while fighting crime. But again, there's a big difference between that and being what is essentially a spy buried deep within the infrastructure of America's intelligence community.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.