Page 2 of 256 FirstFirst 1234561252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Anime talk

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post

Anyway I've also been thinking about Kill la Kill too. I know its suppose to be different, but I don't want to watch a show about girls killing each other.

That's how it starts as a premise. As it continues you see things change and how silly it gets. (not in a bad way either)

I recently just got back into anime after a loooong break. The Ghost in the Shell: Arise was surprisingly good and it looked amazing. The Rebuild of Evangelion blew my mind. I'm enjoying this new version and the animation is incredible.

If anyone can offer up some awesome cyberpunk series or movies I would be eternally grateful.
    I'm a freedom fighter
    I drink apple cider

Digimon is, even in the technical sense, an anime since it's origin is from Japan. I'd say I grew up around the same time Pinsir did. Back when the local channels started airing DBZ in the afternoons. Then they started popping up on Saturday morning cartoons and from there became prominent during the Adult Swim era when they aired late night anime like the original Gundam series.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    When people my age watched Digimon we really didn't distinguish between it and other cartoons (Same for Dragonball, Pokemon). By the time Avatar came around 'anime' was a word used in school for a specific type of cartoon and it became its own sub-culture.
    Makes sense. But, I feel so old now.

When I was a kid... my mom bought a VHS fan-rip of the Macross movie, Do You Remember Love. It was all cartoons (it is all cartoons), but we tended to be aware whether something was homegrown or foreign-born (or just had its character designs and animation done abroad).

I think, in the US, there must have been two or three separate anime "booms," the times when it jumped to consciousness (usually marked by an explosion in "the dangers of pervy cartoons of blood!" news reports). Each boom had a corresponding generation of kids being introduced to the difference, as it were.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by danmar85 View Post
    Digimon is, even in the technical sense, an anime since it's origin is from Japan. I'd say I grew up around the same time Pinsir did. Back when the local channels started airing DBZ in the afternoons. Then they started popping up on Saturday morning cartoons and from there became prominent during the Adult Swim era when they aired late night anime like the original Gundam series.
    I remember the original Gundam series airing in the afternoon on toonami first before it went to midnight with 08th ms team and stardust memory.

Those were the days, I miss Ronin Warriors.

Quote Originally Posted by Hariel0079 View Post
    I remember the original Gundam series airing in the afternoon on toonami first before it went to midnight with 08th ms team and stardust memory.

Those were the days, I miss Ronin Warriors.
    Did Toonami exist before Adult Swim? I didn't start watching Cartoon Network until those programs had been around for atleast a year or so.

Did Toonami exist before Adult Swim? I didn't start watching Cartoon Network until those programs had been around for atleast a year or so.
    Yeah. Toonami's been arbound since at least '97/98. Moltar used to host it

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    Yea, what t hedge coke said.

They used to air Thundercats, Robotech (US butchery of Macross) and some others. I know Sailormoon, Ronin Warriors, Dragonball, DBZ, etc... came later.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    The original Toonami kickstarted my love for anime, introducing me to the likes of Sailor Moon, Gundam Wing and Tenchi Muyo!, shows I currently have in my collection which is quite large while I stream more anime these days than I watch on those shiny little discs.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

BANNED

oooooo, you missed out on the Sci-Fi channel early years of Anime, before they had to cut it off for a good while and come back with the crap they gave later.

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    The original Toonami kickstarted my love for anime, introducing me to the likes of Sailor Moon, Gundam Wing and Tenchi Muyo!, shows I currently have in my collection which is quite large while I stream more anime these days than I watch on those shiny little discs.
    Can you recommend any good streaming sites? I've been out of the loop for a few years and there's a few series I might want to casually watch. Hulu and Crunchyroll are the only two I can remember at the moment, but I don't know how deep their library is.

Quote Originally Posted by Hariel0079 View Post
    oooooo, you missed out on the Sci-Fi channel early years of Anime, before they had to cut it off for a good while and come back with the crap they gave later.
    Ya, I think I caught that second run of anime on Sy Fy..been awhile so I don't remember. At that point I had already slowed down on my anime watching.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Can you recommend any good streaming sites? I've been out of the loop for a few years and there's a few series I might want to casually watch. Hulu and Crunchyroll are the only two I can remember at the moment, but I don't know how deep their library is.
    Well, I subscribe to both services, and their libraries are considerably large, offering shows in just about every genre imaginable. Now, it should be noted that Crunchyroll (my favorite of the two) only offers subbed anime while Hulu does have some dubbed shows, but the selection is very small. If that's no problem for you, then I recommend both sites, even though Hulu shows commercials, even with their paid membership. Netflix also shows anime, though not quite as much as Hulu and Crunchyroll. I hope this information helps.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Not currently watching any animes. Haven't watched anything in years.

But my favorites are:
    Sailor Moon
    Cardcaptor Sakura
    DNA
    DN Angel
    Wedding Peach
    Pokemon
    InuYasha
    Saiyuki

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Well, I subscribe to both services, and their libraries are considerably large, offering shows in just about every genre imaginable. Now, it should be noted that Crunchyroll (my favorite of the two) only offers subbed anime while Hulu does have some dubbed shows, but the selection is very small. If that's no problem for you, then I recommend both sites, even though Hulu shows commercials, even with their paid membership. Netflix also shows anime, though not quite as much as Hulu and Crunchyroll. I hope this information helps.
    Yes, that is helpful, thanks. I prefer subbed actually, so it's not a problem for me. Seems lame that Hulu still shows commercials on a paid membership. The one show I had previously looked up was Tiger & Bunny, which Hulu had and Crunchyroll didn't.

My three favourite animes are:
    - Cowboy BeBop
    - El-Hazard: the Magnificence Kingdom
    - Noir

Does anyone know why El-Hazard isn't available on DVD in the UK?