Page 3 of 256 FirstFirst 12345671353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Anime talk

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by danmar85 View Post
    Yes, that is helpful, thanks. I prefer subbed actually, so it's not a problem for me. Seems lame that Hulu still shows commercials on a paid membership. The one show I had previously looked up was Tiger & Bunny, which Hulu had and Crunchyroll didn't.
    Hulu has a lot of Funimation series in their library while Crunchyroll doesn't have any I think. Hulu with their commercials are irksome, but they have shows I like (Freezing, Jormungand, Tamako Market) that CR doesn't offer, so I just suck it up and deal with the annoyance.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Astonishing Member Enigmatic Undead's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EterenalPsylocke View Post
    Black Lagoon is on Toonami???? wow I'd never thought I'd see the day. (I don't have cable so I'm out the loop with toonami's list of shows)
    Yeah but unfortunately they bleep a lot of the curse words.
    "It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

too many anime to list, sufficive to say I've watched a lot.

Attack on Titan was probably the last really good anime I've watched. I'm skeptical of where the story goes in the long run (not going to read ahead in teh manga).

Norogami gets an honorable mention (manga's better than the anime).

The current spring anime shows leave more to be desired
    The J-man

I post via my phone a lot, therefore I make the occasional grammatical error. Not an excuse just forewarning you. Feel free to call me out I won't mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    Ive been thinking about it and I have heard good things.

Surprised I got you 'fighting' at my Digimon comment though. My 'Avatar is Anime' bit usually gets people certain anime people upset because apparently unless its made in Japan...
    That's because I am a huge Digimon fan.

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    Makes sense. But, I feel so old now.

When I was a kid... my mom bought a VHS fan-rip of the Macross movie, Do You Remember Love. It was all cartoons (it is all cartoons), but we tended to be aware whether something was homegrown or foreign-born (or just had its character designs and animation done abroad).
    I grew up on Speed Racer, and 3000 Leagues in Search of Mother and later Dragon Ball (not z).

Had no idea those were anime until years later.
    Hazard's Playhouse - Episodic anime reviews and other things. Current Post: Houshin Engi: What was Skipped
    My Fanfiction.Net Profile

My favorites are:

Kino's Journey (of course)
    Neon Genesis Evangelion (the first anime I ever watched in its entirety)
    Serial Experiments Lain (confusing but good!)
    Time of Eve (Indie anime done right)
    Madoka Magica (A terrific tragedy worthy of most its hype)

And for manga, I've been reading:

Berserk (5 volumes in)
    Twin Spica (6 volumes in)
    Wandering Son (2 volumes in)
    Neon Genesis Evangelion (reading out of order for convenience)

I grew up on Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh!, and Digimon, but Digimon is the only one that has aged well. I also watched Fighting Foodons but we don't talk about that.

As far as streaming services go, I'd also recommend Crunchyroll. It simulcasts most new series as they air in Japan and keeps recent ones up for a good while so they have a great selection. They also carry some other fan-favorite titles like Gurren Lagann and (until recently) most the Gundam series, which is how I was introduced to these series.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hariel0079 View Post
    oooooo, you missed out on the Sci-Fi channel early years of Anime, before they had to cut it off for a good while and come back with the crap they gave later.
    Sci-Fi was definitely what got me hooked on anime that I clearly knew was anime. I mean I watched Robotech, G-Force, Voltron, Ronin Warriors and Teknoman/Tekkaman Blade (which had an awesome opening theme), but I never recognized them as distinct from Western productions.

Vampire Hunter D, followed by Robot Carnival helped change that for me.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    My three favourite animes are:
    - Cowboy BeBop
    - El-Hazard: the Magnificence Kingdom
    - Noir

Does anyone know why El-Hazard isn't available on DVD in the UK?
    No, UK seems to get the shaft much worse when it comes to DVD releases of anime, but you do get benefits that NA doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by danmar85 View Post

Ya, I think I caught that second run of anime on Sy Fy..been awhile so I don't remember. At that point I had already slowed down on my anime watching.
    The earlier years were definitely the better for the SyFy channel then. 92/98 circa.

Quote Originally Posted by Ceebiro View Post
    Sci-Fi was definitely what got me hooked on anime that I clearly knew was anime. I mean I watched Robotech, G-Force, Voltron, Ronin Warriors and Teknoman/Tekkaman Blade (which had an awesome opening theme), but I never recognized them as distinct from Western productions.

Vampire Hunter D, followed by Robot Carnival helped change that for me.
    There was much more...

Project A-Ko
    Tenchi Muyo In Love
    Fatal Fury the Motion Picture
    IRIA:Zeriam Animation
    Armitage
    Record Of Lodoss War
    8man After
    Casshern
    Gall Force
    Demon City
    Wicked City

But yea, it set the bar for me on Saturday mornings.

Quote Originally Posted by harashkupo View Post
    I recently just got back into anime after a loooong break. The Ghost in the Shell: Arise was surprisingly good and it looked amazing. The Rebuild of Evangelion blew my mind. I'm enjoying this new version and the animation is incredible.

If anyone can offer up some awesome cyberpunk series or movies I would be eternally grateful.
    Can't help you there, unfortunately, but just wanted to say I had no idea there was a new 'Ghost in the Shell' OVA series. I need to get my hands on that. I loved the '90s movie, as well as GitS:SAC, I thought 2nd Gig was okay, but the GitS:SAC movie just put me to sleep. I never read the manga, but I'm always happy to see new stories involving these characters.

I am currently watching 3 anime series (trying to watch an episode a day of each series), namely Mobile Suit Gundam ZZ (I'm on episode 9), Fruits Basket (ep. 15), and Full Metal Panic!: Fumoffu (ep. 10). I count Full Metal Panic! among the funniest TV shows that I have ever seen. Voice acting in it is great as well. I recognized Seki Tomokazu's voice right off the bat.
    Take my dreams, childish and weak at the seams
    Please don't analyze, please just be there for me

Quote Originally Posted by Mormel View Post
    Can't help you there, unfortunately, but just wanted to say I had no idea there was a new 'Ghost in the Shell' OVA series. I need to get my hands on that. I loved the '90s movie, as well as GitS:SAC, I thought 2nd Gig was okay, but the GitS:SAC movie just put me to sleep. I never read the manga, but I'm always happy to see new stories involving these characters.

I am currently watching 3 anime series (trying to watch an episode a day of each series), namely Mobile Suit Gundam ZZ (I'm on episode 9), Fruits Basket (ep. 15), and Full Metal Panic!: Fumoffu (ep. 10). I count Full Metal Panic! among the funniest TV shows that I have ever seen. Voice acting in it is great as well. I recognized Seki Tomokazu's voice right off the bat.
    I enjoyed the new OVA more than I thought I would but they're taking their sweet a** time putting them out. It's like a Brian Hitch or Joe Mad comic

Has anyone checked out Sidonia no Kishi? I just watched the first 3 episodes and I'm kinda liking what I've seen. Another futuristic Mecha/Dystopianish series that's had some laugh out loud moments. I also think it's completely computer animated. Not like Pixar or anything but the style seems very different.
    I'm a freedom fighter
    I drink apple cider

Watched:
    • Fullmetal Alchemist (did not see Brotherhood, it's on my list of things to watch)
    • GTO: Great Teacher Onizuka
    • Eyeshield 21
    • Captain Tsubasa (all incarnations)
    • Hajime No Ippo season 1, and the following movies
    • Kicker
    • Naruto (I stopped caring during the new great ninja war arc, it got tiresome and boring, which is sad, I loved a big chunk of Naruto)
    • Bleach (I regret watching past the first 64 episodes, or whenever before the filler Bounto arc starts)
    • Fairy Tail (stopped after the competition, thought it made a perfect point to drop the series so I won't gett too attached and get severely disappointed later)
    • Sword Art Online (interesting, enjoyable, and I'm one person who enjoys the arc not being a very long one)
    • Fuumuufuu (comedy Fullmetal Panic show)
    • Hunter X Hunter (old series)
    • Death Note (I'm watching this again)

There are more, I don't remember them now

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by harashkupo View Post

If anyone can offer up some awesome cyberpunk series or movies I would be eternally grateful.
    Rightstuf.com along with Manga entertainment also allows free streaming through Youtube.

Check out Macross Plus, Boys Be, Irresponsible Captain Tylor

Astonishing Member

favorites
    Crying Freeman
    Godannar
    JoJo's adventure
    Escaflowne
    Vampire Hunter D bloodlust is my ish and the first one is crazy too.
    of course DBZ with 4 being my fav
    Oh and Streetfighter Alpha
    and Ninja scroll the movie and series.
    Wow almost forgot Afro Samurai ok I'm done.

I recently saw Angel Beats! recently and thought it was awesome. Does anyone have any recommendations for it? I'd prefer it to be on the funnier side like the Haruhi Suzumiya series than the sad side like Clannad.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    too many anime to list, sufficive to say I've watched a lot.

Attack on Titan was probably the last really good anime I've watched. I'm skeptical of where the story goes in the long run (not going to read ahead in teh manga).

Norogami gets an honorable mention (manga's better than the anime).

The current spring anime shows leave more to be desired
    Ah well I have read the Manga...I will say the order of episode vs manga chapters is off but that should normalize out as for where it goes... I dont think you will be disappointed.

All Time Favorites: Death Note, Gurren Langan, Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood, Black Lagoon, and Cowboy Bebop.

Not really watching anything right now. I was watching Gundam Build Fighters, Kuruko no Basket and Kill La Kill.
    Last edited by JaggedFel; 05-03-2014 at 09:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hariel0079 View Post
    Rightstuf.com along with Manga entertainment also allows free streaming through Youtube.

Check out Macross Plus, Boys Be, Irresponsible Captain Tylor
    I really wish someone would translate the Tylor novels. Apparently they're hilarious and just as stuffed with references to older SF as the show.